XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Exhaust & Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is XKEK? Could not find it through search engine...

Old 03-01-2010, 05:48 AM
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts
Old 03-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

JAXKR,
it looks like you have the valve covers refinished with carbon fiber? How does this hold up to the heat?

http://www.vcfinishes.com/id54.html

Old 03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thaanx,man! making myself a member right now

Old 03-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Miami XKR
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey JAXKR, did you eamil me about your parts?

Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had it up on a rack (o5 XKR) to check out the OEM exhaust system.
It's horrible! 2 1/4 inch pipes and a non-mandrel bend over the axles probably reducing it it 1 3/4ths at best? For the price of an XKR you'd think they'd at least mandrel bend the over the axle pipes. Really horrible, horrible OEM setup.

I was surprised but the muffler shop suggested I go with a kit exhaust rather than they build one. Said it's too tight under there.

I also looked to see if going to Paramount headers would be an installation nightmare. It's SO tight I can't even see how headers could fit, let alone be installed short of pulling the motor. That's sad as I was seriously going to look into those otherwise. Paramount said they can build a set to work with the ECU and that they can be installed without pulling the motor "with some tweaking." (That sounds like pulling the motor to me). After looking, even though I have a rack to put it up on, it's beyond my install ability and the muffler shop after looking said they wouldn't touch trying to squeeze in headers.

Has anyone put "high flow' cats on their XKR? Paramount claims they're good for 20 horsepower. I suspect that's accurate IF combined with a better CAT-back exhaust. Do you think high-flow CATS would make the ECU upset triggering an error code or some shut down?

After looking, my guess is that the log-type OEM exhaust manifolds, OEM CATS and the really crappy exhaust back is a power-killer. Headers, high-flow CATS and a decent exhaust likely is good for 40-50 hp with a corresponding ECU tune to take advantage of it.

I think I'll go with the McLeod X-pipe - BUT a couple questions... for those who have it.
First, ground clearance for going under the axles? Mine is already LOW and sometimes scrapes in the front on dips. Do you have any problems with the pipes being low under the axle?
Second, I can't tell from the Mina photos. Are the only mufflers the two at the rear? Or are there two more forward/after the X-pipe?

Old 03-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Mina system and I am very very pleased with it. Especially for the money difference. At any rate, the Mina clearence is fine on my car. I have had no problems in that regard. There are only two mufflers on the Mina system. I eliminated the center resonator (center muffler) and put a Magna Flow cross pipe in. I had it placed as far forward as possible. Overall I can't say enough about how my system came out. I suspect you could go with the Paramount or McLeod and be just as satisfied if not more. The Mina gave me a whole lot of value for the dollar in the end. Good luck, you'll for sure enjoy it! I would like to know if replacing the CATS the would make a major difference in performance and/plus would it spaz out the stock ECU?

Old 03-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you have any pics of the system you installed that you can share with us?

Thanks

Tim V.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

ECU only looks at the rear 02 sensors to measure the catylictic converters. Even if the high flow cats let the rear 02s mirror the front there are rear o2 sensor modifiers out there to compensate. as the function of the rear 02s is the same on most cars this will not be a problem. I agree the exaust design could yield quite an improvment.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

JAGXKR - What did they charge you for the fuse box covers? Those would be easy.

Did you do anything to the interior?

Old 03-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwx
I think I'll go with the McLeod X-pipe - BUT a couple questions... for those who have it.
First, ground clearance for going under the axles? Mine is already LOW and sometimes scrapes in the front on dips. Do you have any problems with the pipes being low under the axle?
Second, I can't tell from the Mina photos. Are the only mufflers the two at the rear? Or are there two more forward/after the X-pipe?
Well, the diameter of the MacLeod exhaust is 2.5", so you'll have about 2.8" less ground clearance beneath the subframe where the pipes run.

There are only two rear mufflers, but you can choose from three different mufflers/sound levels. Or you can get quiet pair and a loud pair and swap them whenever you like, since it's very quick and easy.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The ground clearance has never been an issue for my X-Pipes. I have the loudest muffler (Roar). Honestly, it is not overly loud, especially from inside the car. You hear it when you put your foot into it, otherwise, it is pleasantly subdued. I was close to a Mustang going down the road yesterday, and I don't know what they did to it, but it was obnoxiously loud. The loudest X-pipes is still at a respectful noise level.
Brian

Old 03-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveM
Well, the diameter of the MacLeod exhaust is 2.5", so you'll have about 2.8" less ground clearance beneath the subframe where the pipes run.

There are only two rear mufflers, but you can choose from three different mufflers/sound levels. Or you can get quiet pair and a loud pair and swap them whenever you like, since it's very quick and easy.
Thank you for replying. I think that would leave maybe 3 inches ground clearance?! I didn't know you could pick "sound levels." Thanks for the comment.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Miami XKR

Originally Posted by Brian2000XKR
The ground clearance has never been an issue for my X-Pipes. I have the loudest muffler (Roar). Honestly, it is not overly loud, especially from inside the car. You hear it when you put your foot into it, otherwise, it is pleasantly subdued. I was close to a Mustang going down the road yesterday, and I don't know what they did to it, but it was obnoxiously loud. The loudest X-pipes is still at a respectful noise level.
Brian

Hmm, do you know what decimal rate the exhaust produces when you floor it?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:02 AM

Hi,
No, I don't, but here are three YouTube clips that will give you a very good idea of the sound levels at different speeds/circumstances.

The first one is:
MacLeod X-pipe MK-II with ROAR muffler. 4.2 na convertible with top up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfXEwqBtglA

The second clip shows about 7 Jag's making the trip across the Golden Gate Bridge. Several have X-Pipes installed. Please note: Bill McLeod put straight pipes in his Jag for this fun day, which is why he sounds really loud. This is a very cool clip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=ZjSL...eature=related

Third clip is the latest version of the MacLeod Performance MK II X-Pipe running on a naturally aspirated 4.0 Liter XK8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PeqTzvkzWw

That pretty much covers it.
Brian

Old 03-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a MacLeod II exhaust system that I can sell if I get $2000 for it. I have $2400 in it. It is the middle sound level "Growl" version. It has less than 1000 miles and used 4 months last summer and fall.

It's a great system and I don't care if I don't sell it. I bought it to modify it to fit my 99 XJR. It works well enough for the XJR with just adding an extension and fabricating a different muffler bracket, but not ideal without cutting and welding the pipes. I did not modify/cut/weld the system in any way; the extension was with a slip joint and clamp.

I could also sell it with the brackets and extensions for someone that wants it for an XJR. It works well for the XJR without any problems. To be perfect for XJR/8, the rear legs of the "X" need to be narrowed by a couple inches to fit up into the tunnel. Apparently, the sedans have a narrower transmission tunnel toward the rear than the XK's because they have full seating.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Miami XKR

Hi,
No, I don't, but here are three YouTube clips that will give you a very good idea of the sound levels at different speeds/circumstances.

The first one is:
MacLeod X-pipe MK-II with ROAR muffler. 4.2 na convertible with top up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfXEwqBtglA

The second clip shows about 7 Jag's making the trip across the Golden Gate Bridge. Several have X-Pipes installed. Please note: Bill McLeod put straight pipes in his Jag for this fun day, which is why he sounds really loud. This is a very cool clip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=ZjSL...eature=related

Third clip is the latest version of the MacLeod Performance MK II X-Pipe running on a naturally aspirated 4.0 Liter XK8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PeqTzvkzWw

That pretty much covers it.
Brian

Wow thanks brain!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:54 PM

You are quite welcome. The Golden Gate Bridge clip really is a great one for all of us XK8/R fans!
Brian

Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You are quite welcome. The Golden Gate Bridge clip really is a great one for all of us XK8/R fans!
Brian
It is a great clip! I live in Marin Co (the north end of the bridge), and wonder if anyone knows who the group(club?) was for that fun day - I'd like to connect for future outings. Thanks, DaleD 2002 xkr

Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 AM

Hey Dale,
Those guys were all from the old Roadfly Jag XK8/R Forum. They broke away two years ago and started a new Jag Forum: maxperformancecars.com. They are a great group of guys and I belong there also. Unfortunately, that site is not very active. That being said, I'm sure that there will be more Jag Group Rides sometime or other. The more Jag Fans the better, as far as I am concerned.
Take care,
Brian

Quick Reply: Exhaust & Intake?