XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Exhaust Once and For All

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust Once and For All

I'm ready to upgrade my exhaust system. After reading the exhaust threads, for the past year, I thought I had finalized my decision. I am certain on an "X" pipe, with the (2) smaller mufflers being removed (in front of the rear axle). I then planned on running piping from the "x" pipe over the rear axle (mandrel bends), and into the (2) rear resonators. When I visited the exhaust shop, this morning, I was told to leave the stock pipes over the rear end alone, and just install the "X" pipe, and remove the (2) smaller Mufflers (in front of the rear axle). I would love some feedback, as I have finally decided to pull-the-trigger on this............Thanks

Old 07-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

I would do the lot, the quality of the original system is something to be desired, you also need to make sure if you do decide to keep the rear resonator boxes, make sure that they replace the squashed section of piping.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Thank you XK......are you suggesting I install the "X" pipe, and run piping all the way through (no front mufflers or rear resonators), or should I keep the rear resonators?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Really depends how much sound you want? Personally I do not like too much noise, I like it more subtle but sound when you accelerate.

I would go X pipe 2 boxes in front of the axle and 2 resonators to the back, the other option is to have an X pipe straight through and have 2 good silencers at the back, that way is a bit more noisey but OK.

What I would not do is go straight through with an X pipe with just 2 resonator boxes at the back, that is pretty much a straight through system and just too much for my liking.

The following users liked this post:
cadmium (04-21-2012)
Old 07-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Where are you in Mass I can show you a couple of options for your car???

Old 07-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought I would post the results of my exhaust modification because, like you, I researched the hell out of it after lacklustre exhaust modification results on other jags. I decided to leave the center muffler as is. Why not, it acts like a x pipe and combines the gases. I purchased a straight through stainless steel exhaust from Adamesh. So I have pipe from the center muffler all the way back without the two mufflers and two silencers. It took care of the flat over axle sections as well because their system is round. The muffler shop I used welded everything in place for me. There is no knocking, banging or leaks. It is a very tight system. I finished the design with their stainless dual exhaust tips.

By leaving the center muffler in place it allows the gases to merge from each bank. I have no puffy sounds or resonance. Just even flow on both sides. I do notice a very slight gain in power and response especially at higher speeds. This was supplemented by a K & N air filter. However, I only did the modification to get rid of the flat over axle section and for sound. So my expectations for power gain were minimal.

I must say that I still can’t take the smile off my face. Did not know an engine could sound so fine. I had immediate results just by doing this modification. You can image my relief because I have been through other exhaust modifications including a Jaguar XJ-S V12 that just never sounded like this. It is hard to believe that the sound of my uncorked AJ 27 engine is so natural and so lively...just by taking the constricted mufflers off.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:34 PM

Jaxkr, I'm on the South Shore. Do you have a shop?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I recommend that you talk to Jason at Nameless Performance.

You might as well get some power with your sound. His downpipes have shown 15-18 hp at the rear. They also offer an exhaust that leaves the center muffler, deletes the before axle silencers and replaces the rear stock with identical sized
Magnaflows and some high quality exhaust tips. They use American steel, and
go under the axles for a smoother exhaust vs. the stock over axle crimped pipes.
This system must sound pretty healthy. Magnaflows are very sweet and popular
with American tuners. For the few extra hp that a true x-pipe may
give you, you can get too loud, and worse, raspy. I'm hoping to get this upgrade in
August. Relatively inexpensive horsepower.

There is a video on youtube of a Mcleod x-pipe exhaust. ( x-pipe only into two mufflers at the rear. The car sounds ferocious, but, very loud. If this is what you want, the guys at Nameless have fabricated a system like this also. This would scare the pants off of any Mustangs or Camaros that pulled up next to you. Remember, this is on the smaller 4.0 non-supercharged version. There is also a dyno session for the same car on youtube.

Here's the link> YouTube - ‪MacLeod MK II X-Pipe‬‏

Pictures of the installation: MacLeod mkII x-pipe install - Jano Lukac's Photos

Old 07-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
What I would not do is go straight through with an X pipe with just 2 resonator boxes at the back, that is pretty much a straight through system and just too much for my liking.
Well, hmmm. This is exactly what I ended up with, including custom mandrel-bent over the axle pipes, and I don't think it's all that loud. I was leaving the option open to replace the resonators with Magnaflows, but I like it the way it is. I think the key here might be that I still have the stock catalytic converters in the system and they cut the noise a lot by themselves.

I'm really going to try to get some video with audio posted soon. Maybe I can get it shot this weekend.

Cheers,

Old 07-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
Well, hmmm. This is exactly what I ended up with, including custom mandrel-bent over the axle pipes, and I don't think it's all that loud.
That's pretty much my system as well (except I have an H vs. an X along with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers)

Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member

There is nothing wrong with a straight through system in the sense of how much noise it produces, it is all down to personal preference, I am not a fan of an overly load exhaust....
I have 2 XKs in the shop at the moment, one has a straight through pipes with 2 resonators and 200 cell cats, very loud, everytime you put your foot on the gas people turn and stare, not my taste at all, but the customer loves it to bits.
The other car has a Miltek super sport system, this is also straight through but with 2 silencers, still quite loud but a lot more subdued at speed.
I get asked all the time which is best, in terms of quality I can help, in terms of volume that is down to you. My suggestion as always is to go to a XK meet and ask, you can guarantee there will be ever type of exhaust available fitted to an XK and have a listen.
I appreciate this is not so easy for you guys across the pond

Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 AM

Guys i have done my xk also,,,,,after reading your post i just had to get some horsepower noise,,,,,,,, So i had the center muffler and the two smaller mufflers removed,,,,, installed a h pipe installed and kept the silencers in the back ,,,, the sound to really good leaving a red light or just at idle,,,,, and no noise cruising around 1700 up so maybe this might work for some,,,,, Just to add removeing the center muffler i did notice a small lost in power on the take off but i can live with that or reinstall the center muffler and take off the silencers to see if i can regain that little loss of tourque

Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 PM

Thanks to all for the feedback. It sounds like this is more of a "personal taste" decision, so I've decided to take it one step at a time. I have an appointment tomorrow morning at the exhaust shop. I am removing the center muffler, and adding the Flowmaster "X" pipe. I'll see how that goes, and go from there if I want more sound.......

Old 07-15-2011, 02:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how is this X pipe upgrade compare to Mina's exhaust system in terms of price and performance?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by latte8890
how is this X pipe upgrade compare to Mina's exhaust system in terms of price and performance?
Just installing an X-pipe should be significantly less expensive. I would imagine it could be done for under $200, depending on the shop.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

my labor for cutting the x-pipe (that I provided) to the shop and welding it on - $60

A custom built H or X is surely going to be cheaper than a shelf bought one..though maybe not as pretty ... but whos going to be looking at your exhaust?

latte8890 (07-16-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 06:14 PM

Had a Magnaflow "X" pipe installed today. The cost for the "X" pipe, stainless piping, labor, and tax was $153.00. The sound is mild, but certainly noticeable.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by MicksJag
Had a Magnaflow "X" pipe installed today. The cost for the "X" pipe, stainless piping, labor, and tax was $153.00. The sound is mild, but certainly noticeable.
So is it like a "burble"? At idle and at speed? Any droning at highway speeds?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Soft throat sound. Still fairly quiet at idle. Nice tone at acceleration. No droning at highway speeds. Sounds pretty good if your looking for a subtle change. If your looking for more sound, this may be step one of your upgrade.

plums (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MicksJag
Soft throat sound. Still fairly quiet at idle. Nice tone at acceleration. No droning at highway speeds. Sounds pretty good if your looking for a subtle change. If your looking for more sound, this may be step one of your upgrade.
Excellent!

How's it compare to a late model Mustang V8, or if you've heard one, a Aston-Martin?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Once and For All