XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Exhaust Tone ad nauseum

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Back Preasuer

These J pipes are interesting. I had a C-3 vette that came with an extra free flowing tuned exhaust setup. It was loud and did drone. I would put the oringinal system back on before a road trip so I could hear the stereo. But they were a tuned exhaust which is to say they had the optimum amount of back pressure for the best possible performance.
Aren't the crunch pipes on our XK8s part of this needed back pressure?
I for one would like to see a Dino readout on this mod.
An engineer should way in on this. The whole "loud pipes save life's" is a hollow anthem when it comes to performance on all internal combustion engines.
This of course is my opinion but I feel there is some science behind it other than a simple sound note.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

You bring up a very good point about the engineering of the exhaust system and the potential need for a tuned level of back pressure, and credible dyno readings would certainly tell the tale. I may be naive, but given Jaguar's excellent design of this engine (plastic tensioners notwithstanding), and their emphasis on overall engine performance, would they really choke off the system for the sake of a very quiet exhaust note? I certainly hope not.

Before I plunk down my money on a Mina rear muffler delete, or their more expensive entire system, I plan to disconnect the factory rear resonators and listen to the exhaust sound. If I find it to be too loud, I'll look into installing some aftermarket free-flowing resonators like Magnaflow or Flowmasters to give me a noticeable exhaust sound without messing with the center muffler and before-axle factory units.

With regard to the Mina systems, I contacted a local custom exhaust shop and was advised that if I could buy an existing system in stainless steel, I should do it, since they couldn't compete unless they made it in mild steel (which would probably be a satisfactory compromise and a $$$ savings).

Old 04-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The Mina system is awesome in my opinion. After removing the factory over the axle setup and seeing how much the the pipes were flattened, I'm glad I did it. The Mina fits like a glove and sounds great !!! (98 XK8).
My 2cents, Terro

Old 04-17-2015, 07:18 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Hi Max, removal of the utmost rear mufflers is the same that I tried. The Mina delete system over the rear axle is the least expensive.
I had mentioned that at the same time I added the Mina Air Intake system.
After app 500 miles or so, I guess computer adjustments, all seems well. The exhaust is mild, not as mild as with the original, but healthy.
Step into the throttle, between the intake and exhaust, sounds great. Do not notice the drone very much these days.
I've just installed 12" long 4" wide Borla tips. ( which look great). Next step will be to cut down the inner pipe abit. My thinking I will get a whole new sound with exhaust going from 2" to a 4" wide before exit the rear. I'll let ya know . RIch

The following users liked this post:
max224 (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Great post, thanks Rich. I already have the Mina intake and really like the raspy sound when you get on it. I'm giving serious thought to the Mina muffler delete system but, as previously mentioned, don't want to pull the trigger and find out I don't like it. Their full system, which is $ 945 might be better, but it puts more of my money at risk. I'm going to try to find someone reasonably local to me who has one or the other setup and do a "live" appraisal.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Or, you can do what I did. I removed the rear mufflers and ran without them for awhile. No investment other than a little time.
Very easy to remove due to fantastic exhaust clamps just above the axle. I found the removal quite easy. Loosen the clamps, pull the rear of the muffler out of the "O" ring supports. Then, just start to wiggle back and forth little by little. If yours are as easy as mine were you will start to see movement.
Let me know how you made out. Rich

The following users liked this post:
max224 (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Rich; sounds like something I can do in my garage without too much of a problem. While researching exhaust systems on the web I came across BBK Vari-Tune mufflers, essentially mufflers where you can adjust the sound with a wrench or socket while the muffler is in place on the car. The adjustment allows you to gradia;;u change flow from three chambers down to one to give you exactly the sound you're looking for. Unfortunately, they don't yet make a muffler for Jags, but you might be able to make one for another car work, depending on pipe diameter and overall dimensions. Interesting development.

Max