XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

In the eyes of the beholder...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with Flying Brick and viscoussquirrel. It is all too common with any enthusiast to make what he/she likes to be the "best" at everything or justisfy why it isn't. The XK series is great at what it is...a GT! If you want a Sports Car or a Track Car, then you bought the wrong thing. What you have is GT through and through..(and a nice one at that.) "Grand tourers differ from standard two-seat sports cars in typically being larger, heavier, and emphasizing comfort over straight-out performance. Historically, most GTs have been front-engined with rear-wheel drive, which leave more space for the cabin than mid-mounted engine layouts. Softer suspensions, greater storage, and more luxurious appointments add to their driving appeal."

The statements about "my car is faster than.." or "My car can beat this..." remind me of the Honda forums where the Civic SI guys are bragging how fast their cars are and how they can smoke a 'vette etc. There is a HUGE difference from "feeling" fast and truly "being" fast.

Suffice to say the XK's are quick. Some more quick than others. And they all have ample power to not be run over on the road.

Last edited by 2002XK8Orlando; 07-19-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

We've kind of gotten off topic a little bit. This thread was meant to compare the satisfaction of the owners with their respective rides, rather than "my car is better than your car".

It's a fact the XKR is has more hp, is faster and whatnot than the XK8. But do the owners of the XK8s really mind the difference? Do they continually wish they had purchased the XKR instead? Are they perfectly happy with the N/A 8 but would the extra HP of the supercharged R just be considered icing on the cake (unnecessary, but a welcome bonus)?

That's the kind of direction I was going. Obviously if people (or I) wanted speed and power, a Jaguar isn't the best option (unless you talk XJ220, but good luck finding and affording one).

So, please, if we could stray away from babling about HP, speed and 1/4 mile times unless it relates to your pleasure/displeasure of the ride rather than putting others' down.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

I think it is just basic human nature that if you acquire something that you can afford, you naturally would have liked to get the car/house/computer/bigscreen, etc. that was just beyond your reach.

Years ago when I got my 1970 383 Roadrunner, I would have preferred to get the 440 or hemi; when I got my 1986 325 BMW, I would have preferred a 525; when I got my 1995 Corvette, I would have preferred a ZR-1. So this time around, since the price to pay for getting a used XKR over a used XK8 was not too dear, I went for it. Now that it is after-the-fact, I am quite sure that if I had gotten an XK8, I would have been kicking myself, especially every time I would see an XKR.

Doug

Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fedoraja1
We've kind of gotten off topic a little bit. This thread was meant to compare the satisfaction of the owners with their respective rides, rather than "my car is better than your car".

It's a fact the XKR is has more hp, is faster and whatnot than the XK8. But do the owners of the XK8s really mind the difference? Do they continually wish they had purchased the XKR instead? Are they perfectly happy with the N/A 8 but would the extra HP of the supercharged R just be considered icing on the cake (unnecessary, but a welcome bonus)?

That's the kind of direction I was going. Obviously if people (or I) wanted speed and power, a Jaguar isn't the best option (unless you talk XJ220, but good luck finding and affording one).

So, please, if we could stray away from babling about HP, speed and 1/4 mile times unless it relates to your pleasure/displeasure of the ride rather than putting others' down.
My point was well illustrated a few posts before by Orlando. They are both grand touring cars, but I like the look and feel of the XK8. The added horsepower to me on this particular car is a waste as you can't really use it. Additionally it adds more complexity to a car that is admittedly not the most reliable piece of equipment. When i have to tear into the engine that supercharger is just one more thing in the way. For my buck other cars can be fast, but the jag is for "the walk in the park" as one poster stated earlier. For me the Xk8 is sleek comfortable and powered just right. The supercharger, around town, causes the overly invasive traction control to kick in too much for my taste. Also, I treat the jag like a little old lady so I don't really need nor miss the extra passing power. my .02 cents. Your mileage may vary.

That said, I have the luxury of having several cars, if I didn't have that luxury than I might feel differently and really want the extra power as i wouldn't have something else to satisfy that itch on occasion when it hits...But I dunno, "it's a mystery"
And for the record, at this point

Old 07-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a little different in that I never really even thought about buying XK8...not because I needed the power, but because my two previous Jaguars were not "R"s...an X-Type and an S-Type. They were both good cars, but after I saw a S-Type "R", I knew that I wanted one of those. Not because of the added power (that was nice) but they just looked really cool...and in my personal opinion, it's tough to make the "sour lemon"/"dying fish" grille of a S-Type look cool!

After I decided to sell my well-modded supercharged MINI (my hiatus from Jaguardom) and after my wife nixed the Lotus and the Maserati, I decided to go back to Jaguar...and if I was going to buy one, I was going to buy an "R" - because I always wanted one! Before going to an XK8, I would have gone with an XJR, or maybe even an XJ8. I test drove the latter (a used 2003 in 2006) and it was simply glorious...still one of the only cars that made me smile for the next hour after my test drive was over...wow...

My two cents...

Dave

Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Certainly one thing that factored into my decision making was wanting the best of the best. I don't spend money frequently or foolishly. But when I acquire something I want it to be from the top shelf. The XKR is the ultimate iteration of Jaguar's GT/sports car lineup and that's what I am after.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Wink

Now I think that iilium has a point. Would you rather have a stock Mustang GT or a Shelby? The R is a Shelby to me.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... that's a point certainly when you favour the Jag factor above the "R" factor.

Indeed, if you want to get a Jag and an "R" in the same package, then the answer is obvious.

But if you want the Jag for the "R" factor in an XKR, then, IMHO, there are better, cheaper (or both) options.

On the other hand, there are little (to none), again, IMHO, cars that look (and sound) as elegant, sleek and refined as a XK8.

The obvious "to each, his own" fits here pretty well.

I don't feel I need the extra oomph of the XKR, but then again I have a convertible so probably HP's question is moot.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Brick
Well... that's a point certainly when you favour the Jag factor above the "R" factor.

Indeed, if you want to get a Jag and an "R" in the same package, then the answer is obvious.

But if you want the Jag for the "R" factor in an XKR, then, IMHO, there are better, cheaper (or both) options.
Well said Sir!

Old 07-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XKR vs. XK8

I actually drove the XKR at the dealer and didn't like it. The Supercharger whine was annoying and the power was very linear - I didn't feel any "kick in the pants". Then I drove the XK8 parked next to it and it was a blast. It felt more nimble and in kickdown, it felt like an MGB on steriods. I bought the car that afternoon.

Styling-wise, I did add a three piece mesh grill, since I felt the XK8 had a "gap" at the front.

Cheers,
Hamish
2001 MY XK8

Old 07-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspect the XKR you drove was mechanically not right if an XK8 was a comparative "blast" to drive. I'm not trying to put down the XK8 by any means, but the XKR has much more HP and torque, tighter suspension, an upgraded transmission, and better brakes. We can debate aesthetics, but the performance gained in an XKR is unquestioned.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Hamish
I actually drove the XKR at the dealer and didn't like it. The Supercharger whine was annoying and the power was very linear - I didn't feel any "kick in the pants". Then I drove the XK8 parked next to it and it was a blast. It felt more nimble and in kickdown, it felt like an MGB on steriods. I bought the car that afternoon.

Styling-wise, I did add a three piece mesh grill, since I felt the XK8 had a "gap" at the front.

Cheers,
Hamish
2001 MY XK8
The "R" probably didn't have the throttle cable adjustment done. Also pre-03 R's had the 5 speed Mercedes tranny and starts off in 2nd gear unless the sport mode is turned on.