XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Failsafe Engine Mode & Incorrect Part Fitted - 2001 XKR 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 02:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Failsafe Engine Mode & Incorrect Part Fitted - 2001 XKR 4.0

Hi all,

My car had been parked up for 3 weeks outside in fairly wet weather (UK).
When I got round to starting it up I got a message on dash FAILSAFE ENGINE MODE.

I drove it down the road and back and it seems to drive fine.
There was no OBD error codes when I scanned it.

Anyway I decided to disconnect the battery over night and charge it up fully.
Also due to the damp weather I popped the bonnet and sprayed as many of the connectors as I could with WD40 to try and displace any moisture that might have accumulated.

Today whenI started it up I got the same FAILSAFE ENGINE MODE, but then followed by INCORRECT PART FITTED. I've not change or fitted anything!

Does anyone know where I should start looking or what the problem could be?
I have tried several scans but I've got no OBD codes showing up.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Failsafe Engine Mode & Incorrect Part Fitted - 2001 XKR 4.0-errors.jpg  

Last edited by sweatyfox; 01-29-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:16 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Read your codes jot them down and clear them then start the car with a fully charged battery and see if they return. Take the codes and post them so we can see what you have.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 01-29-2016, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Read your codes jot them down and clear them then start the car with a fully charged battery and see if they return. Take the codes and post them so we can see what you have.
The car isn't producing any error codes. When I scan it with the OBD reader there are no stored codes. Its connecting fine and I can monitor everything else as usual.

When I started the car today the battery was FULLY charged and the battery is in good condition.

This is why I'm stuck. If it was producing some OBD error codes I would know where to start looking.

Cheers

Old 01-29-2016, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I would try a Hard Reset and see if the gremlins disappear. With moisture and low battery things can go bonkers.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Received 287 Likes on 205 Posts

Howdy Folks:
Please see my post from about 2yrs ago on this link. I am happy to says that is still fixed as I type this today.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fault-112493/
My only regret may be that in the future I did return the TCM that was not needed then.(~$100)
I also had the same two fault messages without throwing any DTC codes
Good luck

Old 01-29-2016, 04:40 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

When I first got my car I had the same error message after detailing the engine bay (degreaser + garden hose). All good after I took it out for a drive and dried things out.

These cars are meant to be driven, so sitting for three weeks probably isn't a good thing. A discharged battery alone will cause havoc. The dampness just adds to the problem. You now have the battery fully charged, so I would start it up and let it run for awhile in order to dry things out in the engine bay before throwing any $$$ at it.

If the car is going to be parked outside for extended periods, I would consider getting a solar cell trickle charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Even on cloudy days the solar cell will keep on working and keep your battery topped up. Just place the solar cell on the dashboard and plug it in.

Cheers,

Stu

Old 01-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Have you done a hard reset?

Old 01-30-2016, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

I think the WD40 has got into something. It's best not to use it on modern cars (lower voltages and anyway it'll wash out the contact grease).

Old 01-30-2016, 04:43 AM

Hi Guys, I've tried a hard reset buy no joy, still the same messages.

So Im letting it idle now and will take it for a gentle drive to get some heat into it and see if that helps.

Cheers

Old 01-30-2016, 08:54 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Do you know of anyone in your area that has SDD or IDS to read all the codes? I had a problem like this and found it was one on my knock sensors and this was shortly after I washed down the engine. I am not saying that is your problem but knock sensors and water are not compatible. If SDD and IDS system is not available then try plugging in your OBDII reader and drive the car and see if it captures the code then. If it does not use the clear code button on the reader and see if it does anything for you.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:09 AM

Hi all, Just thought I’ve give you all an update.

So I went out for a 30 min drive at the weekend and I couldn’t detect any fault from the way it’s driving. The gearbox is shifting fine, there’s no restriction in revs or speed and full power is still there.

After about 15 minutes of driving the “Incorrect Part Flitted” message went away, but “Failsafe Engine Mode” remained.

The car is still not giving me any OBD codes at all.
I have tried another hard reset but still come’s on with the original error messages (I think before I have even started the car)

One thing I have noticed is when I alarm/disarm the car, there are no beeps from the alarm.

And I probably should have mentioned that the Cruise Control module hasn’t been working for a few years now and always displays “Cruise Control Not Available” however I wouldn’t have thought that would be causing the engine failsafe mode or Incorrect part?

I have a feeling I may need to visit a garage to get this looked at.

Cheers.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 510 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by sweatyfox
And I probably should have mentioned that the Cruise Control module hasn’t been working for a few years now and always displays “Cruise Control Not Available” however I wouldn’t have thought that would be causing the engine failsafe mode or Incorrect part?
Its well documented that a faulty brake switch can cause the cruise control to stop working, and get you lots of error messages into the bargain.

I would look into changing the switch first to see if that makes your failsafe message go away.

Here is the FAQ:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ics-faq-37758/

Read up on how the brake switch(es) works - you will be surprised at what they actually do.

The following users liked this post:
sweatyfox (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 03:13 PM

Hi All, I thought I'd give a quick update, looks like my car has some gremlins for sure.

I've done about 10 journeys over the past week with no change until today.

I set off with all the usual error messages showing as in my original post.
Then after 2 mins of driving I get the following message "DRIVER INTERVENE" followed shortly by a Red light and "PECUS C" (which is some kind of error code?)

So I turn around to drive home and those messages go off and "ENGINE FAILSAFE" comes back on with amber light, but no other messages.

Then all of a sudden ALL the error messages/warnings disappear for a second, then "ENGINE FAILSAFE" comes back on with the amber light for a few seconds, then off for a second, then back on for a few seconds. This repeats for about a minute.

So I pull over for a minute and ALL the error messages go off including the "CRUISE CONTROL NOT AVAILABLE" which hasnt gone off for several years!

So with no warning messages of any kind I carry on driving.
Everything is working perfectly including Cruise Control which hasn't worked for years.

I've not done anything to the car since my last post.

Anyway I park up after 10 mins of faultless driving. Alarm it, but no bleep sounds, but the lights flash and doors lock as usual.

2 hours later I go to drive back home, press disarm and the alarm makes part of a disarm bleep. So I armed and disarmed it again and now the alarm is bleeping like normal.
As soon as I drive off "ENGINE FAILSAFE" comes back on, then 10 seconds later its off and remains off. No warning messages the whole way home and Cruise Control still working.

When I get home and park up, I hit the alarm button but no alarm bleeps.

I'm baffled as to what is going on now.
Does anyone know what the error code PECUS C relates to?
Could this be an ECU software problem I'm having?

Cheers

Old 02-08-2016, 02:34 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Found this, kinda lines up with the incorrect part number message you've been getting.
PECUS
Programmable Electronic Control Units System
Process whereby a common ECM is programmed on the production line to suit the market requirements of a particular vehicle

Found this too, no 'C' listed though:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...93%20PECUS.pdf

Last edited by woox4; 02-08-2016 at 02:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sweatyfox (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 02:38 AM

Just another update.

A few more days of driving and now Im not getting any warning or error messages at all.
No warning lights of any kind and no OBD codes logged either.

It’s like the car has fixed itself.
I’m beginning to wonder if it was just moisture getting into the electrics.
However that doesn’t explain why the Cruise Control has come back to life after more than 2 years.

But It’s nice to have a warning free dashboard
The only thing that’s slightly intermittent is the alarm bleeping on arming and disarming.

Attached Thumbnails Failsafe Engine Mode & Incorrect Part Fitted - 2001 XKR 4.0-error-free.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Sounds like power/ground trouble.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Your 'driver intervene' message sounds like a problem with your adaptive cruise control, but I didn't know that 2001MY had that feature. If so, that may also be the cause of your 'cruise control not available' too. Since part of that system is outside the car, and prone to moisture affects, I would check all of the connections and wiring to/from the components. In fact, the previous suggestion to check and/or replace your brake swithc may also be prudent, and possibly the single fault to your entire system. It is, after all, a common part to fail on these cars. See attached image and PDF file.

Attached Thumbnails Failsafe Engine Mode & Incorrect Part Fitted - 2001 XKR 4.0-capture.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Adaptive Cruise.pdf (1.28 MB, 155 views)