XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Faint gasoline smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 09:35 PM
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Faint gasoline smell

Hi I recently purchased a 2003 XKR coupe with 153k miles a couple weeks ago. It currently has 154k miles as I have already driven it lots. After getting new tires installed, it drives almost perfect to me (there’s some clunks when braking I need to figure out).

Right now I am getting a faint gasoline smell In the cabin when I have the A/C on and recirculation off. Attached is a picture where if I stick my head in the circled area (driver front left side engine) is where I think the smell is coming from. Are there any fuel lines or anything in that area that can be causing the smell? It’s a very faint but distinctive gasoline smell. The smell comes and goes and is not constant.

I averaged 26mpg driving it from Sacramento to Arizona doing 60-70mph. Right now the trip computer is showing 22.7 mpg with spirited daily driving.

The car has good maintenance history. runs smooth and fast with no check engine lights. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not my car but this is then area I smell the faint gasoline. The opposite side there is no smell.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,436 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by stran0020
Hi I recently purchased a 2003 XKR coupe with 153k miles a couple weeks ago. It currently has 154k miles as I have already driven it lots. After getting new tires installed, it drives almost perfect to me (there’s some clunks when braking I need to figure out).

Right now I am getting a faint gasoline smell In the cabin when I have the A/C on and recirculation off. Attached is a picture where if I stick my head in the circled area (driver front left side engine) is where I think the smell is coming from. Are there any fuel lines or anything in that area that can be causing the smell? It’s a very faint but distinctive gasoline smell. The smell comes and goes and is not constant.

I averaged 26mpg driving it from Sacramento to Arizona doing 60-70mph. Right now the trip computer is showing 22.7 mpg with spirited daily driving.

The car has good maintenance history. runs smooth and fast with no check engine lights. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not my car but this is then area I smell the faint gasoline. The opposite side there is no smell.

On your year, there's a fuel line that passes above that area. It's not shown in the picture you uploaded because that only applies to the 4.2 engines. The one in your picture is a 4.0. I'd start by checking those fuel lines. These pictures are what the fuel line looks like. It may or may not have the circular thing, I'm guessing it's a regulator, on it. You should also check if the Schrader valve near that area is not leaking. It has a small blue cap on it and it looks exactly like a tire inflation valve. If neither the line, it's connection to the fuel rail, nor the valve is leaking, then it's time to start looking at the fuel rail itself, which is just below the charge coolers and is a tedious and laborious process to get to.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 10-15-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Read the second or third paragraph of this thread...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...removal-78486/

Old 10-16-2020, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts
Old 10-16-2020, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,057 Posts

The 4.2l engines have an updated fuel system. The updated fuel rail includes fuel dampers which happen to be prone to leaks. It is an ugly situation with complete fuel rails no-longer-available from Jaguar. It seems like the dampers themselves are available, but seem hard to install reliably with a proper o-ring. Some have these damper removed and the rails stub pipes welded shut.

There are older threads: leaky-pulsation-damper-part-deux-85186

Another leak suspect is the fuel pressure sensor, but it is passenger side, towards the front of the engine.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Lets hope for the pressure sensor.

That one at least is a Ford part, relatively inexpensive and accessible.

JayJagJay (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:27 PM

@giandenielxk8 good eye! the pictures you posted are what my 4.2 has set-up, the second picture specifically with the chrome circle thing. I found the blue Schrader valve and that doesn't look to be leaking. I will have to read more on the other items you mentioned with this engine as I'm not as familiar with this engine as I thought. (I use to own a '00 XJ8 4.0 VDP)

@JayJagJay I recognize you from the XJS forums, what the heck you doing here?? lol that paragraph sounds like my issue, I don't see any stream but the smell seems more apparent when cold/warming up.

@cculfton Thank you for posting those threads for me, It looks like the first thread you posted is the exact same to the thread that JayJagJay posted but it has a different Title/Subject, weird. Anyways looks like alot of work to change out that damper p/n: AJ84080 I wonder if this issue (if its my issue) was caused when I pushed the engine to 130mph a few days ago. Not doing that again.

@fmertz thanks, at this time I can't smell anything coming from the passenger side so I will rule out the fuel pressure sensor for now.

When doing to quick search for "xkr gas smell" I found a few threads mentioning the Purge valve that is located under the drivers side wheel well (which is in the general vicinity of my smell) and the Canister Close valve. I will have to do more research on each issue but do you guys think this might be a problem as well? I haven't seen any dripping of fuel the Damper threads mention but then again I don't know exactly where I should be looking.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

@stran0020

Good Brother,,,, I have No.Idea.What.I.Am.Doing Anymore.lololol... These cars are running my life!

I just came back from one of the only guys who I have heard could "fix" my funky XKR and he's a complete,,,, I won't say it. These cars keep ya running,,, when they ain't running, that is... Omgoodness.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:33 PM

Heres a video of the leak right where you guys said it would be! Im assuming this is the damper, still haven't had time to read up on it.

Dripping every 4-5 seconds and pooling from here. Left Drivers side engine.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Most likely it is the damper, there aren’t really any other places a fuel rail can leak. Sorry to hear that, but it is definitely fixable and you have a few options to pursue.

There is some time in taking everything apart but it is not that bad of a job really. Take your time and it will come out fine. An opportunity to replace some hard to reach hoses and other maintenance items if your have not done them so far at 154k.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:21 AM

Anyone know of a good DIY tutorial for this job with the different parts need to do the job? Gaskets, etc. I understand I have to take off the supercharger. Never done that before. The earlier threads posted there were some PDF files for download but all the links expired. Some instructions I found said to take off the throttle body as well? Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Highly recommend you use the sticky thread and get yourself set up with JTIS (electronic service manual). It is an invaluable resource.

I PDFed the procedures you will need, save some simple things like removing the air intake tube, which I'm sure you can figure out.

It looks scary but it not as bad as it seems. Go slow, keep track of where all the bolts go and save the EGR gaskets. IMO the worst is draining the cooling system, there is really just no neat way to do that.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FuelRail.pdf (3.41 MB, 59 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by ccfulton:
JayJagJay (10-18-2020), stran0020 (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 08:53 AM

Thanks Charlie! Heres a link for coolant drain and flush as well for my records and anyone else that is curious. Most likely wont start the job until a later date
Coolant Flush::
https://matt.zenfolio.com/xk-coolant...tat---v1-1.pdf

Old 12-11-2020, 12:21 PM

Leak has gotten worse it seems so haven't driven the car lately, I called InjectorRX located in Texas to see if they still weld the cap on the damper but they no longer offer that service . Does anyone know who can do this? I will most likely buy some replacement dampers and hopefully that fixes it for a couple years. Will try to start this project this month. Wish me luck

Old 12-11-2020, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

Any experienced welding shop familiar with stainless steel tubing should be able to do it without issue. You can pressure test afterward to make sure there is a good seal.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:32 PM

so after jacking my car up to drain the coolant it seems like I'm missing the front cross member? Can someone confirm that I should have this part on my 2003 XKR Coupe please. My car has the optional sports handling package. What is this part called so I can order one, or is it needed? Here is a picture of the part I am referring too outlined in red. Thank you!

my 2003 xkr coupe with hndleing package is miss this part

Old 12-13-2020, 07:23 PM
Received 161 Likes on 91 Posts

That cross bracing is only on convertibles

Old 12-16-2020, 08:29 PM

Where would I be able to get the caps to weld? I'm not familiar with custom work, never had to use a welder before. Making slow progress got the top intake off, looks like the instructions start to get harder though
Any experienced welding shop familiar with stainless steel tubing should be able to do it without issue. You can pressure test afterward to make sure there is a good seal.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:02 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the fuel smell 2 years ago, turned out to be the dampers. I read all the threads including welding option. In the end I replaced the dampers with new ones. 2 years later still no leaks whatsoever. It is a lot of work on the R but good opportunity to do valley hoses while you are in there.

fmertz (12-21-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by silverXKR03
I had the fuel smell 2 years ago, turned out to be the dampers. I read all the threads including welding option. In the end I replaced the dampers with new ones. 2 years later still no leaks whatsoever. It is a lot of work on the R but good opportunity to do valley hoses while you are in there.
thanks silverXKR03, do you know what specific lube you used when installing the dampers? I went ahead with ordering new ones as well to avoid removing the fuel rail, im about 50-70 percent down with removing the supercharger but can't figure out how to remove the throttle body elbow, I am following the JTIS

Quick Reply: Faint gasoline smell