XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Finally figured out a Clunk nose I heard on every slow speed bump

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018 | 02:56 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default Finally figured out a Clunk nose I heard on every slow speed bump

This one was annoying enough for even my passenger to hear if the roof was up and radio off. At very slow speeds, each and every little bump would cause something to make an annoying noise.

I managed to "fix" a few things, each of which made some noise on their own, as I tracked this down, but this one was elusive. In the end it was so dam simple I have to laugh at myself.

Last week I decided to "finally" fix the two running lights (one at each corner on side, yellow up front red in rear) with a burned out bulb. BTW, burned out bulbs here do not register on your display with a burned out bulb message. Good news, all 4 corners use the same bulb, and with your help I was able to easily pop the reflector assembly out. I replaced the bulb up front = all good there.

Then I popped the rear red one out and took a look - the bulb and electrical connector were not there! Uh Oh, I could see a bit of melted plastic where the bulb assembly fell 1/2 way out. Well a quick look inside and I realized that it had somehow fallen out and managed to melt the bulb glass into the red reflector's hole, before the top of the bulb's glass broke off from its base. The loose connector was flapping around inside - right on top of the muffler!

At first I was worried about that hot bulb distorting it's hole in the reflector. A quick twist with a pair of long nose pliers and the remainder of the glass bulb came off the plastic red holder. Used the same pliers to pull the base of the broken bulb out of the electrical connector. No problem.

I put the new bulb in the base, then twisted the holder into the red reflector, turned the lights on = Good news she worked just fine. The mounting hole was not too distorted.

Then it hit me! This darn little unmounted electrical connector was making all that noise as it hit the muffler on every bump! You know what, given the volume of the racket it made, I was looking for something much larger.

Well now I'm really dead quiet inside, wanted to post this one just in case someone someday runs into the same thing, though I suppose anyone (except me) would see a burned out reflector light and jump on it right away!

John

The following 5 users liked this post by Johnken:
cjd777 (09-06-2018), Jon89 (09-07-2018), MiragePro (09-07-2018), Orthodixie (09-07-2018), rothwell (09-06-2018)
Old 09-07-2018 | 03:26 PM

Satisfactory and amusing resolution to an annoying problem!

Gran

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (09-07-2018)