XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

First Drive- XK8 with GM LS1 6-speed Manual Trans Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default First Drive- XK8 with GM LS1 6-speed Manual Trans Conversion

Hello all

It's been a while since I posted here but I wanted to give you a little update on a pet project of mine. As you probably know, we offer GM LS conversion kits for XK8 (and XJ8) models, all of them using a GM automatic (4 speed overdrive) transmission. As a what if, just to see if it was possible, I took on developing a 6 speed manual trans version of our conversion, with the basic objectives to make the finished product look like a factory install and that could be easily duplicated by any XK8 owner. It was/is a boutique project- nearly all of our customers are interested in an automatic conversion, but a few wanted to shift themselves, so there is some interest. A project was born, and I am very pleased to say it's a running/driving car now, and the first 50 miles have been a blast.

The car itself is a low mileage 98 convertible that received a complete 2002 Camaro Z28 drivetrain (LS1 eng + T56 trans) and uses all of the same components as our automatic kit (aside from the shifter parts....). A special set of brake/clutch pedals were engineered to fit the XK8 footwell along with a garden variety (Wilwood) clutch master cylinder and mount. The transmission mounting was slightly revised for the T56, and a mixing/matching of T56 shifter pieces brings the shift lever out right in the correct spot in the console. The rest of the conversion is like most of the others- K&N cold air intake (this one over the radiator and down to a large filter in front of the AC condenser) and an exhaust system consisting of stock GM cats, 2 1/2" mandrel bent tubing, a central X-pipe and 2 rear turbo mufflers (the exhaust goes under the center of the rear suspension, not through it).

So enough of the details- how does it run and drive? FANTASTIC. Similar to my 88 XJSC that also has a 6 speed manual, this is a heavy car, but the torque of the LS1 pulls it easily along, even from a dead stop in 2nd gear. The clutch action and shifting is much like an modern manual car, but the kicker is being able to run it up through the gears, high into the rev range. This engine is bone stock but the freeflow intake and exhaust really wake it up (compared to the original 2 pipes into 1 pipe into 1 muffler exhaust in the Camaro).

The engine is smooth and runs cool- `195 deg on a 90 degree day in traffic, so no issues there with the Jag radiator and LS engine. There are still tweaks to do here and there but it's worked out very well so far and I'm very happy. It needs some more miles but this has to be one of the most fun cars I've put together in a while...

The car itself is completely stock otherwise except for a set of 19" wheels left over from the 2004 GTO donor car we used on the other 98 XK8 conversion some years ago. Those big wheels make the brakes look small...

Here are a few pics. What you see here could be easily duplicated on any 97-02 XK8 or XKR. And the performance potential of the LS engines is amazing- the sky's the limit.

I hope you like what you see- I'm not making any comment or judgement on the stock drivetrains- I just wanted to show what I've done....

Please feel free to PM with questions, etc.,.

Name:  side_zpsxnazcylq.jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  73.9 KB

Name:  eng_zpsqs3mpmug.jpg
Views: 2144
Size:  131.9 KB

Name:  dash_zps6m5hdklo.jpg
Views: 4096
Size:  135.0 KB

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 06-15-2015 at 08:07 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by JaguarSpecialties:
cjd777 (06-15-2015), Jandreu (06-15-2015), JgaXkr (07-12-2015), Littlebird (07-14-2015), michaelh (07-13-2015), oyster (06-15-2015), The Coupe (07-13-2015), waterloo (06-16-2015) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-15-2015, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

That is GREAT! I'd love to get a chance to drive this car, makes me think about selling my 03 and getting an 02 so I can do the conversion.

I know the 03-06 is an issue for conversion but any chance this is in the works?

Do you have a estimate of what the kit parts price will be for the LS/6spd manual conversion?

Old 06-15-2015, 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor
Default XK8 Conversions and costs

The details and cost of the XK-LS automatic conversion kit are published on our website- $1895. For the manual trans version, the additional cost is almost entirely in the pedal set, and we have tentatively priced that at $895. That includes prepping your original pedal box and brake pedal for the manual trans, adding a new clutch pedal and clutch master mount, and the clutch master itself. If you imagine the amount of time and expense it took to design and make all of these pieces work together you'll conclude how reasonably priced this is. The pedals have a factory look and feel and are placed properly in the footwell for easy action, even with our big feet. This was not a trivial project. One note- in the old days (with the XJS and XJ6 models of the 70's and 80's), we could modify the pedal boxes to do manual trans installations as they were cast aluminum and weldable. The XK8 pedal box is molded plastic- no welding there. That's just one of the hurdles that needed to be overcome.

If you're looking for more detailed costs of the total conversion, that varies widely depending on who is doing the work, what engine package is being used, etc.,. Please get with me offline to discuss that in more detail.

There has been very little interest in conversions for the 03 and later cars- it seems the 4.2 engine and the 6 speed automatic have very few problems. Because of that, we really have no plans for a conversion package for them. There are so many of the 97-02 models out there I'm thinking they will keep us busy for a long time...

I hope that helps- let me know if you have any questions

Thanks

Andrew

The following users liked this post:
Jandreu (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I too may go with a 02 or older model so I can do this conversion. I woul dlove the 6sp but I am tired of manual cars so prob just go auto. We shall see.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Default XK8 LS/6 speed manual- following up.....

So I've been driving this car regularly for the last few weeks and it's such a kick I can't tell you. Shifting where you want to, heel and toeing, match shifting and so on has been a real hoot. I took it easy for the first couple of weeks but recently started to open it up some. All I can say is the revving potential of these LS engines is remarkable and even with a relatively mild 325 hp (rated), the car is a rocket. I'm probably making a 40 hp more than that- the intake alone (a K&N cold air unit designed for the Camaro donor) is good for 14 1/2 extra hp per their testing and I'm sure my full dual 2 1/2" mandrel bent exhaust with X-pipe and running under the diff is probably good for at least 25 hp more. The car definitely needs a trip to the dyno and tuning for some adjustments- par for the course.

On the functional side, everything on this one works just like the automatic version- dash fully functional with no extra warning lights, no issues. The car believes it is still stock.

And the kicker here really is the cost. Doing this really is not much more expensive than the automatic version. The drivetrain (engine and trans) are standard 98-02 Camaro units- nothing special there. The only added cost is the pedal set- around $850 above the cost of the kit itself which has always been very reasonable for what it is. It works, it's fun, and it's a good value........

Thanks for letting me give you a little update. Please feel free to get with me offline for more info, questions, etc.,.

The following 2 users liked this post by JaguarSpecialties:
Jag#4 (07-13-2015), Jandreu (07-13-2015)