XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

First post from a potential BMW convert

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First post from a potential BMW convert

First post. Let me start by saying I have always loved Jags...but have always owned BMWs. I have owned several 3-series BMWs and my current two cars are a 2008 528i and a 99 M3.

I was watching 5th Gear last night and they did a story on affordable luxury cars. They use a BMW 7-series, a VW Phaeton, and a XK8. That XK8 is just stunning! I never really gave it much thought previously because I assumed they were still VERY expensive. I did a CL search and found several 1997-2000 coups around $10K! I am seriously considering getting rid of my M3 and getting a XK8 coup.

My main concern...and I'm sure you have heard it all before, is Jag reliability. What should I look for in a used XK8? Having owned BMW's, I know that parts and maintenance can be expensive. What are the common problem areas?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 562 Posts

I tried German cars (Audis) for a while and they are very nice cars. Can't touch the Jags tho. Matter of personal preference.

Try the "How To/DIY" sticky at the top of the main page. It has a section at the front called, "I’m buying a used XK8/XKR, what should I look for? " That should start you off on the right foot.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

The BMW is probably better engineered, better built and more reliable, but it is, and always will be just another BMW. The Jag on the other hand, is sleek, elegant and above all, has soul.

Go ahead and take the plunge while you can. If you don't like it, you can go back to a Beemer, there are plenty out there!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by notopm3
First post. Let me start by saying I have always loved Jags...but have always owned BMWs. I have owned several 3-series BMWs and my current two cars are a 2008 528i and a 99 M3.

I was watching 5th Gear last night and they did a story on affordable luxury cars. They use a BMW 7-series, a VW Phaeton, and a XK8. That XK8 is just stunning! I never really gave it much thought previously because I assumed they were still VERY expensive. I did a CL search and found several 1997-2000 coups around $10K! I am seriously considering getting rid of my M3 and getting a XK8 coup.

My main concern...and I'm sure you have heard it all before, is Jag reliability. What should I look for in a used XK8? Having owned BMW's, I know that parts and maintenance can be expensive. What are the common problem areas?
There is a plethora of information on this site regarding exactly what you are asking. Look through the "stickies" above and do some searching.

For the most part there are some very specific issues that come up that need to be taken care of or addressed. Every once in a while there seems to be some very mysterious problems that are eventually sorted out with the tremendous help of the members of this forum. I don't visit a lot of forums, but I have NEVER seen one that operates at the high level that this one does.

I have not owned a BMW, but my best friend owned several over the years, and he certainly had more than his share of issues.

A BMW is a good car, but is IS very German, sort of taunt and hard, whereas a Jag is much more classy and smooth in my opinion.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,582 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Hi NOTOPM3,
Welcome to potential Jagdom. Having had a number of sports cars over the years, but nothing I would want to drive around everyday, I was also seduced by the gorgeous body and classic, rich interior of the XK series. However, if you're driving around an M3, I think you might want to take a look at an XKR as opposed to an XK8 just because of the horsepower difference as well as the stiffer suspension both of which would make it more 'M' like. Obviously when buying any used car, service history is of ultimate importance. Specifically, pre-2003 XK8/XKR's had issues with tensioners and timing chains, which if left undone lead to catastrophic engine failure. The infamous "green shower," which is related to the rupturing of the hydraulic hoses that operate the convertible top or the actuator leaks of the top are also pretty unavoidable, so if you look for a car, if that is already done, you'll avoid $1000.+ repair. Finally, the electronics that operate the transmission have all sorts of issues as they age, so one that has had a rebuild already will save you some money in the long run. Having said that, and over the three years I've owned my 2002 XKR convertible, I've had to do all of these repairs at a pretty costly sum, however, I paid so little ($15K-3 years ago) for a near perfect car with 60K miles and a full service history from Jaguar, that it's still a bargain, and I still love looking at it every time I get into it. It's simply beautiful and a pleasure to drive when everything's working. Hold out for the XKR as I think you'll be happier with more power on tap. Also, be patient and wait for a car that meets your requirements, there are a lot of them around especially in Southern California from which you come. Good Luck in your search.

Attached Thumbnails First post from a potential BMW convert-dscf1284-640x480-.jpg  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
Hi NOTOPM3,
Welcome to potential Jagdom. Having had a number of sports cars over the years, but nothing I would want to drive around everyday, I was also seduced by the gorgeous body and classic, rich interior of the XK series. However, if you're driving around an M3, I think you might want to take a look at an XKR as opposed to an XK8 just because of the horsepower difference as well as the stiffer suspension both of which would make it more 'M' like. Obviously when buying any used car, service history is of ultimate importance. Specifically, pre-2003 XK8/XKR's had issues with tensioners and timing chains, which if left undone lead to catastrophic engine failure. The infamous "green shower," which is related to the rupturing of the hydraulic hoses that operate the convertible top or the actuator leaks of the top are also pretty unavoidable, so if you look for a car, if that is already done, you'll avoid $1000.+ repair. Finally, the electronics that operate the transmission have all sorts of issues as they age, so one that has had a rebuild already will save you some money in the long run. Having said that, and over the three years I've owned my 2002 XKR convertible, I've had to do all of these repairs at a pretty costly sum, however, I paid so little ($15K-3 years ago) for a near perfect car with 60K miles and a full service history from Jaguar, that it's still a bargain, and I still love looking at it every time I get into it. It's simply beautiful and a pleasure to drive when everything's working. Hold out for the XKR as I think you'll be happier with more power on tap. Also, be patient and wait for a car that meets your requirements, there are a lot of them around especially in Southern California from which you come. Good Luck in your search.
Thanks! That is good stuff. Honestly, I prefer my wife's 528i over my M3. I am not a stop-light racer so I am really not that concerned about max HP. The M is nice and handles like nobody's business, but it's not much of a cruiser. It is also a convertible...and I have no interest in getting another vert. That stupid roof has been the biggest PITA on the whole car. I think the XK8 might be the thing. I am going to seriously start looking. Unfortunately coups are hard to find.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Coupes can be found. I trolled for a while before picking up my XKR Coupe but it was worth the wait.

You'll find lots of good information here and if you DIY then they aren't that expensive to own. No worse than amy othe European car IMHO.

Reliability wise, they don't take kindly to neglect but providing you keep them up, these cars can go for several hundred thousand miles. Like any forum people come here for help which can give an outsized impression of the Humber of problems. Most people never have an issue and never make a post.

Good luck in your search.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Coupes can be found. I trolled for a while before picking up my XKR Coupe but it was worth the wait.

You'll find lots of good information here and if you DIY then they aren't that expensive to own. No worse than amy othe European car IMHO.

Reliability wise, they don't take kindly to neglect but providing you keep them up, these cars can go for several hundred thousand miles. Like any forum people come here for help which can give an outsized impression of the Humber of problems. Most people never have an issue and never make a post.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks. BMW has some pretty good forums and I learned a great deal about maintaining my M from them. I have been doing all my own oil, brakes, filters, and spark plugs for a couple of years now and have no problems (155,000 miles on it). Jag sounds a lot like BMW. If you keep them up and treat them nicely they are amazing cars. Neglect them and drive them hard and it's going to cost you.

To be honest, I've never even sat in a Jag before. I guess it's time to start shopping.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks. BMW has some pretty good forums and I learned a great deal about maintaining my M from them. I have been doing all my own oil, brakes, filters, and spark plugs for a couple of years now and have no problems (155,000 miles on it). Jag sounds a lot like BMW. If you keep them up and treat them nicely they are amazing cars. Neglect them and drive them hard and it's going to cost you.

To be honest, I've never even sat in a Jag before. I guess it's time to start shopping.
If you get into a well maintained one, you will be amazed at how refined the drive is. It is as smooth as silk.

The guys who still have "the need for speed" will all tell you that you must have an XKR. If, on the other hand, you are past the stoplight racing deal and just want a beautiful, comfortable car that is a pleasure to drive and with a lower cost to maintain, you are right about the XK8.

Any of us with the 8's could have bought the R's if we had that "need for speed". I will be sixty soon, and outgrew that a long time ago.

Drive a few different ones whichever the model, and you will find the one that you want. As long as it has been well maintained and not driven hard in it's history then you should have a dependable car that will serve you well, and, you may just fall almost in love with it, as most of us have.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,013 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Hey there, I see you're considering an XK8 from a BMW?

BMW 's are nice cars and the M3 / M5 are awesome bits of kits, you will seriously fall in love with the XK8 ( possibly XKR even ?? )

Also we have one of the best technical sections around specifically for these models with tons of info and very experienced and helpful guys to back you up and support you, should you need it.

I'll try and jump back from time to time and see how you get on.....Good luck with the hunt my friend.

Note - you might also consider trying "Androulakis" he is a member here and has sourced some excellent examples of some fine cars for a few members here......worth a pm??

Old 12-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

The VW Phaeton is supposed to be that perfect blend between German engineering excellence and a very non-German level of luxury. I didn't know they were ever sold in the US, but I'd take a serious look at that. My Jag feels a bit mushy compared to my previous experience with German cars. It has taken some getting used to. Like nestling in grandma's bosom vs. riding on grandpa's knee it takes some effort to get in, but once you're in, you never want to leave.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have had my 2005 XKR Coupe for five years now and have never had a major problem. If well cared for these cars are rock solid and drive like a dream. And, you will not see anything more stunning for the money. To avoid many of the problems endemic to the earlier model years buy a 2003-2006 XK8/XKR. If you buy the Coupe you eliminate the troublesome hydraulic issue associated with the convertible top, plus you get a quieter and more composed ride. The 2003-2006 model years have the improved 4.2 liter engine. Really nice examples of the 2003-2006 model year coupes are getting increasingly difficult to find and there are far fewer then convertibles. Take your time. Do not buy sight unseen. Consider the services of a good jag tech before you go hard on the money. Remember that good care trumps just low miles.

Enjoy the road ahead.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Jag mechanics here in Denver swear the XKR models prove to be more reliable than XK8 models for transmissions and engines. As a former Porsche Boxster driver, the steering and handling are not in the same league, but then the Jag's beauty inside and out is engaging, and the 387 lbs of torque during first gear throttle is stunning as is highway passing power. Unlike Porsche, no Russian-roulette $15k repair jobs either.

Also, this Jag forum puts all others to shame. Mercedes and Aston Martin forums lack depth and intensity. It makes a difference.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by weisberg
Jag mechanics here in Denver swear the XKR models prove to be more reliable than XK8 models for transmissions and engines. As a former Porsche Boxster driver, the steering and handling are not in the same league, but then the Jag's beauty inside and out is engaging, and the 387 lbs of torque during first gear throttle is stunning as is highway passing power. Unlike Porsche, no Russian-roulette $15k repair jobs either.

Also, this Jag forum puts all others to shame. Mercedes and Aston Martin forums lack depth and intensity. It makes a difference.
One of the problems with the 93-99 M3 forums is that they tend to be populated with lots of early 20-somethings with a fast-and-furious mentality. I really don't have much in common with those guys as I am not concerned with ultra-light Vader seats, tower braces or supersport wheels in the pursuit of supreme performance. Those guys tend to be obsessed with every pound of weight and silly bling upgrades. I have enjoyed my M3 but I think it is time to move up to something more sophisticated.

JimC64 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 12:29 PM

The guys on my 5-series forum are saying a lot of good things about the XK8. They recommend a higher mileage version...assuming that the tensioner and chain engine issues will have been worked out already.

Can anyone here compare a 528 to a XK8?

Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 565 Posts

Here's my two cents: I've owned two BMW's and I had just as many "issues" with them as I had with my XK8. I owned a Z3 and the most annoying thing about it was that the plastic pieces eventually just started falling apart. They were cracking and breaking every time I touched them.

The XK8s have their share of issues, but they aren't nearly as bad as the reputation of older Jags. I think a lot of people remember the Jag they owned from the 70's or 80's and assume that newer Jags are no different. Or maybe they had a friend who had a friend who complained about his Jag back in the 80's, so now they feel that they are an expert on Jags and they can criticize their reliability as if they were an expert.

The ONLY time my Jag left me stranded was when I got a tank of bad gasoline. Other than that it carried me from one side of the country to the other and back, and it was my daily driver. It had some issues, but it always got me where I was going.

As others have pointed out, there are a few known issues. If you deal with those before they occur, your future XK8 should be as reliable as any Beemer you've ever owned.

Oh yeah... on my Z3 I drove around for a year with my traction control light turned on because it had a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and no one on the BMW forums knew how to fix the problem. It also had an airbag light on for a year because if you remove the driver's seat and then turn on the key, it triggers an airbag fault. Even though there's not actually a problem with the airbag, the only way to reset the light is to take the car to the dealer and have them reset it for you. For $200. I chose it cover the airbag and traction control lights with electrical tape. :-)

On my Jag, however, the helpful people on this forum were AWESOME at helping me figure out whatever was wrong with my car. I didn't have to take it to the shop a single time. In my experience, the members here are way more helpful than the member of any other car forum I've been a part of. These guys are great. So even if you buy an XK8 with some problems, these guys will help you work through them.

JimC64 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,013 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Thanks for the kind words Sam

Notopm3 - Sam is keeping quiet about all the "HOW TO" video fixes he himself added to the forum, to help make the XK8 / XKR section especially invaluable for forum members.

Along with some of the other "greats" from this board ( too many to mention ) I reckon just about every scenario has been covered and resolved.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Here's my two cents: I've owned two BMW's and I had just as many "issues" with them as I had with my XK8. I owned a Z3 and the most annoying thing about it was that the plastic pieces eventually just started falling apart. They were cracking and breaking every time I touched them.

The XK8s have their share of issues, but they aren't nearly as bad as the reputation of older Jags. I think a lot of people remember the Jag they owned from the 70's or 80's and assume that newer Jags are no different. Or maybe they had a friend who had a friend who complained about his Jag back in the 80's, so now they feel that they are an expert on Jags and they can criticize their reliability as if they were an expert.

The ONLY time my Jag left me stranded was when I got a tank of bad gasoline. Other than that it carried me from one side of the country to the other and back, and it was my daily driver. It had some issues, but it always got me where I was going.

As others have pointed out, there are a few known issues. If you deal with those before they occur, your future XK8 should be as reliable as any Beemer you've ever owned.

Oh yeah... on my Z3 I drove around for a year with my traction control light turned on because it had a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and no one on the BMW forums knew how to fix the problem. It also had an airbag light on for a year because if you remove the driver's seat and then turn on the key, it triggers an airbag fault. Even though there's not actually a problem with the airbag, the only way to reset the light is to take the car to the dealer and have them reset it for you. For $200. I chose it cover the airbag and traction control lights with electrical tape. :-)

On my Jag, however, the helpful people on this forum were AWESOME at helping me figure out whatever was wrong with my car. I didn't have to take it to the shop a single time. In my experience, the members here are way more helpful than the member of any other car forum I've been a part of. These guys are great. So even if you buy an XK8 with some problems, these guys will help you work through them.
That is exactly what I was looking for. You are correct about the reputation. I lived in England from 84-87 and Jags were known as lemons. I just retired from the Marine Corps last month and my specialty is aircraft maintenance. I spent two years working with Harriers...another fine piece of British engineering (not!). What a mechanical nightmare! But I have always wanted a Jag simply because they are visually stunning. My dream car is an E-Type. Maybe someday... So, my retirement gift to myself might be an XK8. Found two beautiful BRG coups in Los Angeles and the price is right.

Does anyone here happen to live in the North County San Diego area?

Old 12-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 565 Posts

That is exactly what I was looking for. You are correct about the reputation. I lived in England from 84-87 and Jags were known as lemons. I just retired from the Marine Corps last month and my specialty is aircraft maintenance. I spent two years working with Harriers...another fine piece of British engineering (not!). What a mechanical nightmare! But I have always wanted a Jag simply because they are visually stunning. My dream car is an E-Type. Maybe someday... So, my retirement gift to myself might be an XK8. Found two beautiful BRG coups in Los Angeles and the price is right.

Does anyone here happen to live in the North County San Diego area?
What a weird coincidence! I was an avionics tech on Harriers at Cherry Point from 85-88. When I first got to my squadron they had the AV-8As, but we transitioned to AV-8Bs after a few months. Then I was TAD to China Lake for 6 months to work on the prototype night attack Harrier with the FLIR and radar. The B's in my squadron were all the original version with the ARBS and a single DDI and stuff, but the night attack bird was badass.

While I was at China Lake they did some night landings in complete darkness. They did it on a moonless night. They turned off all of the runway lights. It was pitch black. We went out to the hover pad with infrared glow sticks to mark the area where the pilot was supposed to land, then we hung around a couple of hundred meters away. He came in with no lights on and we couldn't see a thing. He was invisible, but it was so loud our teeth were rattling. But then when he started to hover, the hot nozzles started to glow. First it was just a dull red, but the longer he hovered the brighter they got. Finally they were glowing cherry red! He set the plane down and they gradually stopped glowing. It was pretty awesome.

By the way, I was in 542. What squadrons were you in? We might know each other if you were in in the late 80's.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
What a weird coincidence! I was an avionics tech on Harriers at Cherry Point from 85-88. When I first got to my squadron they had the AV-8As, but we transitioned to AV-8Bs after a few months. Then I was TAD to China Lake for 6 months to work on the prototype night attack Harrier with the FLIR and radar. The B's in my squadron were all the original version with the ARBS and a single DDI and stuff, but the night attack bird was badass.

While I was at China Lake they did some night landings in complete darkness. They did it on a moonless night. They turned off all of the runway lights. It was pitch black. We went out to the hover pad with infrared glow sticks to mark the area where the pilot was supposed to land, then we hung around a couple of hundred meters away. He came in with no lights on and we couldn't see a thing. He was invisible, but it was so loud our teeth were rattling. But then when he started to hover, the hot nozzles started to glow. First it was just a dull red, but the longer he hovered the brighter they got. Finally they were glowing cherry red! He set the plane down and they gradually stopped glowing. It was pretty awesome.

By the way, I was in 542. What squadrons were you in? We might know each other if you were in in the late 80's.
I was the AAMO of MALS-14 from 2001-2003. I did all my O-Level time with F-18's in Beaufort as the MMCO of VMFA(AW)-332. The F-18 is such an easy plane to work on. The Harrier was just ridiculous...but you already know that.

Quick Reply: First post from a potential BMW convert