XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Fitting 2004 xk8 stereo into 1997 xk8

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 11:38 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fitting 2004 xk8 stereo into 1997 xk8

Hi All,

is this possible? How should i proceed? I'm attaching a picture, left one is my stereo, right one is the one i'm trying to use.

thank you

Old 12-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

It won't be straightforward.

Have you got the "premium" or the "standard" kit ?

Early (Harmon Karden) premium kit has the CD player wired back to the head unit, whereas the later Alpine system has the CD player connected directly to the amplifier in the boot. Connectors are totally different - look at the later unit and there may be a little changeover switch on the head unit marked standard/premium.

Everything is possible, but (particularly if it's the premium system) - it is quite complicated and you will need both wiring diagrams to try and identify all the correct wires.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

AFAIK you can only use the components of one brand together, will say, if you have the old HK AMP and/or the CD-changer in the trunk, these will not work with the new Alpine-HU - due to the different bus-systems.

The connection between the Audio-Components is for the newer Alpine-HU done with a single AI-Net cable from HU to trunk, not much of a problem to additional route this, I think. BTW: You can buy every AI-Net cable with the proper length and socket-variant, there is no difference between Jaguar and Alpine.

The connection's for the speakers should be no problem, also the ones for the special signals (lighting, speed) from the car's electronic to the HU seem nearly the same from a rush look-over. I think, you may have to adapt some contacts on the connector to the HU (Nice thing with the AMP-multilock connectors: You can remove a single contact with a special tool or a micro-plier and put it on another position, so rewiring is easy).

The resistors for the Buttons in the steering-wheel column must be checked for compatibility - or exchange the column.

When it comes to the built-in phone, I can't even guess...

Do you have the electrical guide for your car?

Sorry for the good broken english , greetings from Germany & have a nice new year!

Wolf

Old 12-27-2017, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

......G ood music should always be played loud .The one on the left appears to be a Jaguar / Alpine AJ9500A with the connector pinout I made below for the standard setup . The same head unit is used on the 94.5 to 97 XJ6 X300 in both standard and premium setup . When you go the the later x308 units there are 2 different ones and part numbers . The difference between standard and premium setup can be seen at the connector missing the 8 speaker wires on the connector as the premium setup uses a second of two round connectors to input a separate speaker power amplifier . Speaker rot may be to blame for the rattley no bass performance as can be very cheaply repaired yourself . The repair for the LED I'm still developing . Think LOCA and not that pyramid thing on the Taco Bell commercial , kinda weird and untrue . Did I mention weird .The final amplifier in the AJ9500A head unit is 2 Toshiba TA8221 amplifiers linked below . You can easily mod the unit to install an auxiliary input hardwired jack to play any device . When you get your stereo squared away you have to promise me to Youtube download and burn a copy this on disk and play this really , really loud because as I recommended before , good music should always be played loud as you are cruising around . Listen for the quantum shift at the 1:40 point and crank up the bass . Dude we can do this .

Any questions , just ask

Attached Thumbnails Fitting 2004 xk8 stereo into 1997 xk8-jaguar-x300-alpine-aj9500a-untitledvvvvv.jpg   Fitting 2004 xk8 stereo into 1997 xk8-x100-stereo-x-untitled.png  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Toshiba TA8221 datasheet.pdf (591.4 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 12-28-2017 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:18 AM

Hi All,

My initial question was actually regarding the slots. I mean, how should i fit the one on the left with the one on the right? I thought that everything fits in terms of wiring and connections.
I got the base sound system, 4 speakers that i've replaced with A medium line from Focal. They were bolt-on.
Don't think i have an amplifier, other than the HU itself. Will check and see. But my question was primarily regarding the slot.
Thank you

Old 12-28-2017, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
......G ood music should always be played loud .The one on the left appears to be a Jaguar / Alpine AJ9500A with the connector pinout I made below for the standard setup . The same head unit is used on the 94.5 to 97 XJ6 X300 in both standard and premium setup . When you go the the later x308 units there are 2 different ones and part numbers . The difference between standard and premium setup can be seen at the connector missing the 8 speaker wires on the connector as the premium setup uses a second of two round connectors to input a separate speaker power amplifier . Speaker rot may be to blame for the rattley no bass performance as can be very cheaply repaired yourself . The repair for the LED I'm still developing . Think LOCA and not that pyramid thing on the Taco Bell commercial , kinda weird and untrue . Did I mention weird .The final amplifier in the AJ9500A head unit is 2 Toshiba TA8221 amplifiers linked below . You can easily mod the unit to install an auxiliary input hardwired jack to play any device . When you get your stereo squared away you have to promise me to Youtube download and burn a copy this on disk and play this really , really loud because as I recommended before , good music should always be played loud as you are cruising around . Listen for the quantum shift at the 1:40 point and crank up the bass . Dude we can do this .

Any questions , just ask

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrHsjr6TWAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1eI-7XWjho
Actually the only thing not working from my original HU (the one on the left) is the display. Do you have a solution for that?

Thank you

Old 12-28-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

Someone may know different, but I couldn't find ANYWHERE a compatible LCD display.

I'm pretty sutre the "slot" is the same but in your first picture (of the early Harmon Karden unit), there's bits of the plastic surround as well.

Everything is available if you want a modern head unit. This company has a good reputation, although I have np personal experience.

https://incartec.co.uk/Pages/Product.aspx?P=4778

Old 12-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

....There are from what I understand 2 different HU in the X308 ( X100 ? ) from 98 to 03 of which one on the right is probably one , would need model # off the back and a good pick of the rear connector . If you open up the HU shell the pins are marked in tiny letters on the AL9500A , but I don't know about the others .

There is no longer a source for the AJ9500A LED . The LED driver is pretty generic and will reverse engineer it but the glass has specific symbols for this stereo unit's application . I won't be trying the repair I came up with until next week . If it works I will probably be starting a side business with it as well as modifying the whole HU , Lady P. wants a new paintjob

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 12-28-2017 at 11:27 AM.