XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Fixed button on Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Fixed button on Turn Signal

See Yellow wire at bottom left, that is for button on end of turn signal. It connects to the closest tab right next to it.

A while ago I posted that the button at the end of my turn signal, that cycles display miles, miles left, galons used , loop; did not work any more. I had seen this happen to my Auto (headlights) selection on the same stalk. The Auto was just an open wire connection to the circuit board at bottom of turn signal inside steering column enclosure.

As suspected the loss of functionality for the button at the tip of the turn signal stalk was because a wire on the circuit board broke free.

Good news, Today I resoldered the Yellow wire at bottom (left) in the photo. If you look closely the wire is not connected in this photo. A bit of rosin, and solder = great connection and all works perfectly again.

I posted this for your future reference. I haven't see any photos of which wires go where on this board.

You will have to take the steering wheel off to get to it. A few things I learned today:

1) The upper cowl:

You can get it out without removing the guages wood surround, but you can not get back in without removing the wood for a moment.

Yes the upper cowl is one of the worst screws to get to (real PITA). But don't bother trying to make it work without at least one of the screws in place. I tried, bad idea .

Getting the screws to bite in either of the cowls is real hard. I finally secured the screw to my phillips head screwdriver with electrical tape. Holds it in place nicely until I can get it into the threads. The tape tends to stay with the screwdriver so easy to remove.

Steering Wheel:

The star screws on back of steering wheel are 5/32.
The gold bolt holding steering wheel on is 15mm.

FWIW: the wire for Auto (headlights) is lavendar (that's the one I had to resolder the 1st time).

The wire for the button on the end of the stalk is the yellow one in the photo.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 12-14-2016 at 12:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Johnken:
fmertz (12-14-2016), michaelh (12-14-2016), MRomanik (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Hmm, two broken connections in 2 years:

I wonder if flicking the stalk from momentary high beams (let it go fast) to high beam setting wears on these wires. I do tend to do this all the time. On a winding road, nothing ahead, pull back on the stalk (highs come on), go around next bend - no cars in sight - flick finger backwards, stalk has enough momentum to move to high beam setting, just continue driving. . .

Maybe I should just move it gently into High position. Do many of you do this flick into high too?

John

Old 12-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,432 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Ideally the wires that come out of the stalk should be anchored after the solder joint with a 'P' clip or similar. The flexing in use is then more on the flexible part of the wire rather than the joint, which doesn't have the insulation to help. Downside of that is when it does let go you can't see the break. Can't win.

You're lucky it was only the wire that fell off given how flimsy these things are. I can just hear the designer saying "Your operation exceeds the design parameters of the equipment"

Thanks for the pic.
Mike

Old 12-15-2016, 02:50 AM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

yeah, it seems like "extremes" are the worst enemy. Cant open and close boot to fast/much. Cant move seat all way back, or steering wheel all way out, head rests all the way up, or quick use of stalks or anything moving. Gotta use a little middle ground for everything.