XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Flip Key From Ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 07:26 AM
Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Flip Key From Ebay?

Craigslist Cat only Came with One Key and a Non working Remote.

Saw these on eBay that claim to work with our cars. I know it must be cut and programmed for the transponder, but has anyone used this one?

eBay Flip Key

Old 09-17-2021, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,518 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I converted to that S-Type style a number of years back. The remote part only works for MY2001 and later. I had to replace the S-Type chip with a Megamos 48 suitable for our cars (cheap, easy). Then I had a key cut (eBay vendor). I then hacked the key to fit the flip combo. Once the fob was programmed (check the stickies for details) and the chip programmed in, it all worked fine.

Looks like this eBay seller has cut a number steps already. The only catch is that you would have to double check the key stem provided is tibbe 8-cut (the S-Type is tibbe 6-cut) and that the transponder is Megamos 48.

FWIW, I would try and make the fob you have work first, just to make sure there is no further problem with the security module.

The following 2 users liked this post by fmertz:
GGG (09-18-2021), srpope80 (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by fmertz
I converted to that S-Type style a number of years back. The remote part only works for MY2001 and later. I had to replace the S-Type chip with a Megamos 48 suitable for our cars (cheap, easy). Then I had a key cut (eBay vendor). I then hacked the key to fit the flip combo. Once the fob was programmed (check the stickies for details) and the chip programmed in, it all worked fine.

Looks like this eBay seller has cut a number steps already. The only catch is that you would have to double check the key stem provided is tibbe 8-cut (the S-Type is tibbe 6-cut) and that the transponder is Megamos 48.

FWIW, I would try and make the fob you have work first, just to make sure there is no further problem with the security module.
Thanks Frank - I appreciate the info as it helped with the seller!

Just got a message back from the seller so going to give it a shot and report my findings back here. Now I wish there was a way to get the key programmed without paying an arm and a leg!

Response from Seller:
Hi there, I am professional Locksmith and don't worry. The key blade is longer which is for older models. The newer model use shorter key blade but this new style flip key remote here has been replaced to longer key blade for older model. The transponder is good for XK8 also. It works perfectly. You can get the new key cut and programmed by dealer or Locksmith. Thank you.artiway:

Old 09-17-2021, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Don't we all!

Old 09-17-2021, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz

@fmertz , Thanks for this suggestion. Seriously - I went out with working remotes from my '01 XKR and the Security Module will not pair. Doesn't recognize any of the 3 remotes I have with working batteries. I'm beginning to think I may have an issue similar to what I see here in this great post?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post2022363

Anyone else have issues with the remote pairing or receiving?

Old 09-18-2021, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 479 Likes on 323 Posts

Will most local locksmiths be able to cut this?

Old 09-18-2021, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Several years ago, I bought one of these.....All I had to do was take it to a Locksmith and have the Key cut! It still works great....Only problem I have found is how to change the Battery...I just can't figure that one out......If someone knows how to do that, I would appreciate you telling me! The Fob is really nice looking and I sort of use it when I'm showing-off......Works great! I got the "Bentley Key"....Also, the Jaguar Key is the same Key they use in the Sedan and I have one of those.....only problem with the Jaguar Key is the Paint wers off the Buttons pretty fast.....but for $39.00 Bucks....It's a deal!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch

Last edited by bcprice36; 09-18-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Default My Flip Keys

Attached are Photos of both my Flip Keys.....Once again, I really like them both and use the Jaguar Style Key Fob all the time! Most of the Paint on the Buttons has worn off now!

Billy Clyde

This is the Bentley Key

This is the Jaguar Key Fob

Last edited by bcprice36; 09-18-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:17 AM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by srpope80
@fmertz , Thanks for this suggestion. Seriously - I went out with working remotes from my '01 XKR and the Security Module will not pair. Doesn't recognize any of the 3 remotes I have with working batteries. I'm beginning to think I may have an issue similar to what I see here in this great post?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post2022363

Anyone else have issues with the remote pairing or receiving?

I have a slightly different issue with my remote: the remote works fine EXCEPT for unlocking the trunk (boot). Any ideas?

Old 09-18-2021, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,518 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Will most local locksmiths be able to cut this?
Normally no, they have to have a specialty tibbe attachment to their key cutting machine, and then the skills to perform the steps required (there are adjustments). For a time, I was working with a local locksmith willing to experiment with this, and we never managed to come up with a working key. One prototype almost stayed stuck in the lock. These folks know the market and the tibbe type is not in terribly high demand.

Fortunately, there are eBay vendors (check carlocksandkeys) and also a Jaguar owner (check the classifieds on this very forum) that offer to cut these keys based on a "code" or even a good picture of an existing key for a nominal fee.

Old 09-18-2021, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Bender....
Sounds like you have a problem with the Boot...that is if the remote will open everything else...? Will the Key work? and How about the Jaguar Button? or the Button inside on the Dash?

Billy Clyde

Old 09-18-2021, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Was there any problem getting the car to recognize the chip in the key??(there is a programmed chip in the key, isn't there??)

Old 09-18-2021, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Sam,

It has been several years since I did the Bentley Key...I remember that I had to have the Key Cut to match the XKR Key...But I didn't remember about the Chip......I built the Jaguar Key by using one of my Jaguar keys...I cut one of the (Black) Key Head's apart and removed the Transponder-Tube (Carefully not to damage the little Transistor tube).....Bought the Black Plastic Key Body from eBay and put the Transponder into the Key Body with the Battery....Then I cut the Key off a little and attached it to the Flip-Key Body......Didn't have to program anything as the Transponder is the same one that came in the XKR Key.....Still works great! I have the directions here in my Jag Drawer if you want to do it! Still works great but it was sort of a pain in the *** to do.....but I did it, so I know you could to! Let me know if you want the instructions.

Now that I think about it....The Bentley Key had to be programed by the Little Guy in the LITTLE YELLOW KEY TRUCK......He was expensive and had to program all the Keys at the same time.....I think I had to pay him around $400.00 Bucks to do all my Keys......As they all have to be programed at the same time.... So Today, I have (1) Regular Key & (2) Clickers, the Bentley Key Fob and the Jaguar Key Fob that I made-up and of course the Valet Key....I remember that I had to reprogram all the Clickers so they are all on the same program as my XKR.....They all work just fine. If you need directions on how to do the Clicker programing, let me know!

I really like the Flip Keys and they are the ones that I use.....Missy gets the Regular Jag Key and Clicker.....So She can move it around and Gas it up!

Billy Clyde

The following users liked this post:
TedV (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Sam,

It has been several years since I did the Bentley Key...I remember that I had to have the Key Cut to match the XKR Key...But I didn't remember about the Chip......I built the Jaguar Key by using one of my Jaguar keys...I cut one of the (Black) Key Head's apart and removed the Transponder-Tube (Carefully not to damage the little Transistor tube).....Bought the Black Plastic Key Body from eBay and put the Transponder into the Key Body with the Battery....Then I cut the Key off a little and attached it to the Flip-Key Body......Didn't have to program anything as the Transponder is the same one that came in the XKR Key.....Still works great! I have the directions here in my Jag Drawer if you want to do it! Still works great but it was sort of a pain in the *** to do.....but I did it, so I know you could to! Let me know if you want the instructions.

Now that I think about it....The Bentley Key had to be programed by the Little Guy in the LITTLE YELLOW KEY TRUCK......He was expensive and had to program all the Keys at the same time.....I think I had to pay him around $400.00 Bucks to do all my Keys......As they all have to be programed at the same time.... So Today, I have (1) Regular Key & (2) Clickers, the Bentley Key Fob and the Jaguar Key Fob that I made-up and of course the Valet Key....I remember that I had to reprogram all the Clickers so they are all on the same program as my XKR.....They all work just fine. If you need directions on how to do the Clicker programing, let me know!

I really like the Flip Keys and they are the ones that I use.....Missy gets the Regular Jag Key and Clicker.....So She can move it around and Gas it up!

Billy Clyde
I understand. My wife lets me have a key to her Cadillac SUV so that I can take it for a wash and gas....
The key project sounds pretty intensive. I have heard about a locksmith in our area that reprograms. I am just trying to find him.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:05 AM

Bender....
Sounds like you have a problem with the Boot...that is if the remote will open everything else...? Will the Key work? and How about the Jaguar Button? or the Button inside on the Dash?

Billy Clyde
Billy Clyde,
All functions work including starting the car. I changed the battery just in case but boot still not popping open. I can live with it but prefer to get it working of course.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Bender,

Once again....Does the Trunk open by pushing the Jaguar Button? Will the Key work? Does the Button on the Dash work?

BCP

Old 09-19-2021, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Sam,

The quickest way is to order the Bentley Key or one of the others and take the whole thing to the Key Guy...Let him do the whole Job and be done with it! Probably cost you a Hundred or so! But it really looks nice! Looks nicer than a Hundred or so.....You'll be Happy!

BCP

Old 09-19-2021, 11:37 AM

Bender,

Once again....Does the Trunk open by pushing the Jaguar Button? Will the Key work? Does the Button on the Dash work?

BCP
Button works fine Billy.