XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Flooded 2003 XKR info on BD V130 kit ISD and SSD

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts
Default Flooded 2003 XKR info on BD V130 kit ISD and SSD

Hello All...

Crazy me... The neighbor who has a problem involving compulsively buying Jaguars and Porsches on auction recently offered me a beautiful (looking) 2003 XKR at a price that is nearly a give away.

I just spent the day reading thru a thread (revival of a flooded Texas XKR) that describes a device and software ( BD V130 kit ISD and SSD) ​​​​that would allow me (I think) to hunt down and purchase various control modules and electri-cals (guided by the cars VCat charting) to diagnose and replace damaged components and reprogram them...? Is this true?

I'm hoping someone can give me a general description of this device, it's maximums and minimums in terms of capabilities and,,, what product would be needed for a 2003 XKR Convertible...

For now, any sort O breakdown would do,,, and,
as always,

I am super grateful, more appreciative of any and all guidance, wisdom and experience offered by y'all....

I need to save this car!

Old 12-04-2019, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,057 Posts

BD is British Diagnostics. Look it up.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fmertz
BD is British Diagnostics. Look it up.
Thanks Mertz...

I have. And also sent them a quick message.

Their site is a little confusing, organized in an hard to decipher way, for someone as unfamiliar with some of the terms and information being described as I am. Basically, I don't know what a lot of it is describing...

More, I am trying to figure out if this is the tool that will allow me to match components,,, replacement modules for systems in the car,,, from modules, ECUs and ECMs I find online, if I need to?

Very SKERY territory I'm wandering into.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

I found this site,,, searching the best I could with the abbreviations I dug out of this thread. I'll look at/for British Diagnostic...

https://www.jlridssddmongoose.com/

Old 12-04-2019, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

With the correct version of JLR SDD and a Mangoose cable one can do all sorts of diagnostic tests on the car you are looking at.

That is IF it can read ANY of the modules in the car. It has to be able to communicate with the modules and if they are water damaged it may not read anything at all.

Also the tool is not intuitive. It needs to run on a Windows XP or Windows 7 laptop.

On the other hand if it can read the modules.................

Last edited by jackra_1; 12-04-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
With the correct version of JLR SDD and a Mangoose cable one can do all sorts of diagnostic tests on the car you are looking at.

That is IF it can read ANY of the modules in the car. It has to be able to communicate with the modules and if they are water damaged it may not read anything at all.

Also the tool is not intuitive. It needs to run on a Windows XP or Windows 7 laptop.
Understood... Thanks much!

This weekend I plan on going and trying to get a REAL sense of the high water mark,,, then digging out as many of the modules below that line to see what's been soaked.

There is no water in the oil, coolant or trans fluid from what I can tell so far and the engine spins freely... I understood that it was fresh (not salt) water. The seat backrests (a beautiful blue and black combo) are fine but the *** part of the seats are shot.

Anyways, for what is fried, I was wondering, hoping, preying that this tool might help me clear out the preventative coding in modules I will have to replace,,, and introduce them to the systems in this car... Is that how it works? What this tool does?

Old 12-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

The tool can be used to reprogram modules that it can access if that is needed such as when you replace a module that is shot.

It is a somewhat convoluted tricky process because you need to know what you are doing and you can easily brick a good module if you do something wrong.

You need a battery support system when doing any programming and not a simple battery charger either.

The main ECU in that car sounds like it was above the water line as with some other modules if you are lucky.

However there will be multiple electrical connectors that will need "cleaning".

I would suggest to begin with getting a tool like iCarsoft i90 that will allow you to figure out accessibility of modules easily but would not be able to reprogram anything just clear codes, which could come back.

It is a lot more easy to use. I have both JLR SDD v130 as well as the iCarsoft device .

Last edited by jackra_1; 12-04-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

The tool can be used to reprogram modules that it can access if that is needed such as when you replace a module that is shot.

It is a somewhat convoluted tricky process because you need to know what you are doing and you can easily brick a good module if you do something wrong.

You need a battery support system when doing any programming and not a simple battery charger either.

The main ECU in that car sounds like it was above the water line as with some other modules if you are lucky.

However there will be multiple electrical connectors that will need "cleaning".

I would suggest to begin with getting a tool like iCarsoft i90 that will allow you to figure out accessibility of modules easily but would not be able to reprogram anything just clear codes, which could come back.

It is a lot more easy to use. I have both JLR SDD v130 as well as the iCarsoft device .
Hey, Jack... Thank you.

Haha,,, I can't claim to be the most careful guy when it comes to working on things but I am so apprehensive when dealing with electrical, software and computers in terms of auto that I will try my best not to destroy what I am trying to fix. Ya know...

So, I'm looking at the BD site... For the X100 XK it seems that flashing and reprogramming is "excluded"...? Am I reading that right. Mine is (would be) a 2003 XKR...

Also,,, is it really just the £85? That's crazy inexpensive...?

Old 12-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Oh and yes,,, I think reprogramming (if possible) of new modules is definitely in my future... The modules are not hard to find but from what I understand,,, pairing up of the exact VCats module numbers specific to my car,,, and placing them so they will talk to the car, is tough. I think I will need to be able to wipe and reprogram "new" modules from the outset.

If the BD product will do both, while the other will only do one of these functions, I might as well get the product that does both from the outset, no?

Old 12-04-2019, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Oh and yes,,, I think reprogramming (if possible) of new modules is definitely in my future... The modules are not hard to find but from what I understand,,, pairing up of the exact VCats module numbers specific to my car,,, and placing them so they will talk to the car, is tough. I think I will need to be able to wipe and reprogram "new" modules from the outset.

If the BD product will do both, while the other will only do one of these functions, I might as well get the product that does both from the outset, no?
That is logical so long as you are prepared for a whole lot of setting up...the laptop with either Windows XP or Windows 7 is quite the task believe me!

I just picked up a Toshiba laptop for $28 including shipping. No HDD but they cost peanuts anyway and Windows XP pro for $12.

All of that to load v131 of JLR SDD which cost me less than $30 from the UK.

Do a search on Ebay for the following:

Jaguar Land Rover IDS / SDD v131.03 + Calibration files. ** On Two DVD’s **

The actual Mangoose/mongoose cable required is an "issue" much discussed in this forum.

A genuine cable is quite expensive a cloned version is not so much however some people claim the clone is subject to failure and in fact my original clone did fail.

I was lucky to be able to pick up a genuine cable from Dew Technology on sale a while ago.

Last edited by jackra_1; 12-04-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

That is logical so long as you are prepared for a whole lot of setting up...the laptop with either Windows XP or Windows 7 is quite the task believe me!

I just picked up a Toshiba laptop for $28 including shipping. No HDD but they cost peanuts anyway and Windows XP pro for $12.

All of that to load v131 of JLR SDD which cost me less than $20 from the UK.
Hmm. I'm running Windows 10... Is this a no go, with windows 10???? I hope not. I guess I would have to dig out an old computer and try to install the right windows version.

Haha,,, I'm preparing to pick up a 2003 Jaguar that was underwater... I wish setting up a computer and the related software was as tough as this was going to get...

Old 12-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

If you look at that Ebay listing you will see what they specify from a compatibility viewpoint and it is not W10.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Well, SDD is the dealer-level software for our cars (4.2l). It knows "everything" about a bunch of Jaguars and Land Rovers. You can of course read codes for all modules, but also read live data from all sensors (as long as there is a message for it), and perform special functions like program keys and reset TCM adaptations. This particular kit was also connected to the online Jaguar service (toppix?) at some point so it has a bunch of TSBs as well as ECM/TCM images for reflash. You can also "program" modules to the proper VCATS I believe as well as configure an ECU for a particular region of the world (think DRL in Canada or specific alarm settings). The kit comes with a cable that interfaces all separate car data bus technologies to USB, including the firmware reflash. The software is packaged as a virtual disk image of a pre-installed, pre-configured IDS/SDD over Windows XP. There are a number of virtual machine managers to run this, but (free of charge) VirtualBox on a current laptop running Windows 10 works just fine (you may have to make sure you are connecting the cable to a legacy USB-2 port, not the newer USB-3 because Windows XP would not have a driver, but I am not sure it is a hard requirement). There is a good introductory PDF to SDD somewhere, but you are mostly on your own after that. And yes, I suppose mistakes can be made with this software and possibly render modules unusable.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fmertz
Well, SDD is the dealer-level software for our cars (4.2l). It knows "everything" about a bunch of Jaguars and Land Rovers. You can of course read codes for all modules, but also read live data from all sensors (as long as there is a message for it), and perform special functions like program keys and reset TCM adaptations. This particular kit was also connected to the online Jaguar service (toppix?) at some point so it has a bunch of TSBs as well as ECM/TCM images for reflash. You can also "program" modules to the proper VCATS I believe as well as configure an ECU for a particular region of the world (think DRL in Canada or specific alarm settings). The kit comes with a cable that interfaces all separate car data bus technologies to USB, including the firmware reflash. The software is packaged as a virtual disk image of a pre-installed, pre-configured IDS/SDD over Windows XP. There are a number of virtual machine managers to run this, but (free of charge) VirtualBox on a current laptop running Windows 10 works just fine (you may have to make sure you are connecting the cable to a legacy USB-2 port, not the newer USB-3 because Windows XP would not have a driver, but I am not sure it is a hard requirement). There is a good introductory PDF to SDD somewhere, but you are mostly on your own after that. And yes, I suppose mistakes can be made with this software and possibly render modules unusable.
Ok... Punch me in the nose and call me stupid,,, but the more info I am getting the less clear I become...

For the XKR 4.2L I will need the V131.03 version or the v130?

For an operating system I can use (with a helper program) windows 10?

And with either??? Or both V131 or the V130??? With a cable,,, I will or won't be able to shop out some modules (with VCat suffix numbers as close as possible) and reprogram the modules that are toast in the car now?

Also, should I just keep it simple and go with the tools provided by BD? Mix and match? Use eBay and disks?

I don't contribute to this forum as much as I should or would like, I admit that. I haven't had a ton of problems with my XK8 in the 3short years, so I don't have as much experience as MANY here. For that reason not thinking I SHOULD be giving advise, as such. I'm sorry to be all about the taking and only asking questions and not offering much,,, but yes, I have tons of questions.

I thank you all for your patience!

Old 12-04-2019, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe ask the seller of V131 on Ebay to categorically confirm that it is capable of programming modules on your specific car that you are looking at.

Btw it has drivers for a genuine mongoose cable as well as a cloned cable. Two sets of drivers that I have not seen before.

Running in a virtual machine on W10 I have never tried and will not either since my laptops are dedicated to JLRSDD.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe ask the seller of V131 on Ebay to categorically confirm that it is capable of programming modules on your specific car that you are looking at.

Btw it has drivers for a genuine mongoose cable as well as a cloned cable. Two sets of drivers that I have not seen before.

Running in a virtual machine on W10 I have never tried and will not either since my laptops are dedicated to JLRSDD.
Folks on eBay say all kinds of weird stuff... I have had hard times in the past.

I really don't know the difference between "mongoose and cloned" cables...

I don't know what JLRSDD means...

Old 12-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

So. I've been digging around.

I've figured out the virtual machine step and getting the Windows XP Prof on my laptop...

Found the cable and am wondering if this is it "Clone"... I don't have 500 bucks for the other cable...

Also, have written to a guy in the UK with the software asking about reprogramming modules...

This is what I was looking at for 75 bucks.
And a link to the page...

Am I on the right track?

Old 12-04-2019, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

That cable is for GM not Jaguar.

Another possible issue is that a particular Mongoose cable might be JLR SDD version specific. In other words a cable for version 147 might not work for V 130?

Not sure about this but my cable does appear to work on version 130, 131, and 145.

Last edited by jackra_1; 12-04-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hmm.

I don't mean to say it like this but,,,
Can anyone just provide some basic clear info on the things I will need to make the diagnostic set up work?

I have the computer thing covered.

Need the cable and software... But which?

Old 12-04-2019, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar Land Rover Symptom Driven Diagnostics V 130 is the software you need failing that V131 would be just fine.

If $400 plus is too much then a clone mongoose cable as well that is designed for JLR, Jaguar/Landrover.

When you get to programming you will need a proper battery support system and that item will probably be the most expensive piece you will need to buy once you get to
programming.

The main reason why people brick a module is because part way thru programming power falls too low and programming simply fails.

The following 3 users liked this post by jackra_1:
cjd777 (12-04-2019), DavidYau (12-05-2019), JayJagJay (12-04-2019)

Quick Reply: Flooded 2003 XKR info on BD V130 kit ISD and SSD