XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Flooded (H2O) 2003 Jaguar XKR Convertible RESCUE thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Jay, please don't forget to use distilled water, not tap water. Don't forget that these non oxidized deposits were and can be dissolved in water. Always protect from static discharge when handling integrated circuits and or semiconductors like transistors.

FWIW I'd vote not to avoid wd40. If you live near an electronics store, they sell great sprays to clean electric circuits (not Radio Shack cleaner IMO).

If you want a suggestion, I'd be happy to take a photo of some with its bar code.

John
Sure, John! Thank you. I'll take any and all suggestions I can git!

Old 12-13-2019, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quick Q: Would a "new" exciter and matching key solve this problem? What about key, exciter and key transponder? I can get those things...

Old 12-13-2019, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Great results with this, including delicate electronics.

The number at the top is the bar code for further googling

The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Johnken

Great results with this, including delicate electronics.

The number at the top is the bar code for further googling
​​​​​​Thanks. I'll have to get some quick!

Old 12-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Sounds good. Thinking out loud - I didn't analyze the corrupted circuit board(s), but if you've got to deal with hard to remove deposits and or debris, you might want to pick up a fiberglass pen for that job. Rough enough to scrape clean, not rough enough to harm traces, non conductive. Use gloves if fiberglass makes you itch...

just Google fiberglass pen- available lots of places lowes/Amazon.
John

Last edited by Johnken; 12-13-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

What's THAT???

Smoke?

Old 12-14-2019, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, she ran. Fired right up and told me about some other problems… NO FUEL PRESSURE!

Had to pour a little gas in the trottle body. Luckily I ordered these last week!!! 50 bucks.... Always good to plan ahead! Lol, you know what they say about best laid plans...

I’m insane! 😂😅😆

I have a bunch of other questions (some photos and report back stuff) but first I’m going to catch my breath a little. Been at it since the sun came up...

Old 12-14-2019, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quick question… I plan on trying to dig around the internet and figure out if needed but,

There is a little box tucked in, padded on two sides, near the boot fuse box… It was in rough shape when I opened it… What is it and do I need to program this little module? If you know??? I hope it’s not a program type part…

I’ll see if I can get a photo

You can kind make it out, there, with the two strange plugs. It tucks right between the main board of the fuse panel and the box like frame out that houses it all

Old 12-14-2019, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Whoa - what cured the 'no crank'?

I see two modules and also (I think) the parking sensor control?

JayJagJay (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelh
Whoa - what cured the 'no crank'?

I see two modules and also (I think) the parking sensor control?
​​​​​​
Haha, yes sir,,, and what you said!

That's exactly what that is! Rear parking... I won't be worrying about that thing just now, then. Shweeeewwww...I'll have some photos but it was completely rotted inside...

Yes, removed the KMT and cleaned up the insides, it hadn't seen water thankfully.

Replaced ALL fuses and tested every relay I could get my hands on. Removed and cleaned the ECU (above) and the SCLM and replugged. Cleaned up the BPM the other day, strangely that looked like it had not seen water but that's impossible, I think.

I pulled down the fuel pump control module (please tell me it doesn't have to be programmed,,,, that it's NOT a high tech programmed module) and replaced... What else, ummm
Disconnected and reconnected EVERY plug - especially under the center console I could find -

Made sure everything was connected up,,, not in place like ready to drive, but connected and secure,,, placed the new battery with the jumper (expecting to be there a while), turned the key. There must have been fuel remaining in the throttle assembly because as soon as I touched the key, she fired and ran until that fuel ran out. The XKR doesn't NOT sound like the XK8 whooooohoóóoo!!! What a beautiful sound from the supercharged engine!!! Anyways.

- The fuel rail has ZERO pressure...
- Below is a picture of the fried area of the fuel pump control module...
- Also, some after market gizmo velcro-ed on top of the dash console/cluster that I MUST figure out. Wired into the cluster.
- Milk shake like fluid came out of the disconnected transmission fluid cooler lines (could be big trouble).

All warning messages less the the cruise control not available disappeared from the dot matrix message center on the dash cluster...

I have a lot of work ahead of me,,,, but I am pleased,,, and so excited I cannot wait until tomorrow!

There is mouse sign, lol A few chewed wires I'm afraid to admit. All manageable. But what's that after market addition?

Innerds of the FPCModule... Looks like a simple thing,,, not like it needs to be programmed.

Insides of the key transponder...

Location of the key transponder,,, vent and console cover removed and partially removed... Torx bit, not hard to remove at all.

All and all,,, a damn good day!!!
​​​​

Last edited by JayJagJay; 12-14-2019 at 07:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
cjd777 (12-15-2019), DavidYau (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default You did it!

It’s alive! IMHO Any smoke from the exhaust, from a non-runner, is a good thing. Had the same feeling when I put in a new engine into a 1970 Triumph. It’s the best feeling in the world!

Whoa! You did it! JayJagJay - You’re the MAN!

On absolutely, “a wing and a prayer” you’ve saved this XKR using brain and persistence. I’ve got to admire your tenacity.

Timeisrelative (12-15-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DavidYau
It’s alive! IMHO Any smoke from the exhaust, from a non-runner, is a good thing. Had the same feeling when I put in a new engine into a 1970 Triumph. It’s the best feeling in the world!

Whoa! You did it! JayJagJay - You’re the MAN!

On absolutely, “a wing and a prayer” you’ve saved this XKR using brain and persistence. I’ve got to admire your tenacity.
Hey Man... Thanks! Really.

I'm so excited I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight. Waiting for the sun to come up...

Quick question... What do you know about the fuel pump control module???? Is it a dumb part or one with a brain, that needs programing? I really really need it to be plug and play. I hope so...

Old 12-15-2019, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Default Fuel delivery problems

Sorry, no idea about the fuel control module.

I would start with with the simple fuel upstream basics though. Can you hear the Fuel pumps spinning, change fuel filter, blow out fuel lines etc. Complications of the modules, suppression dampers etc can wait until you checked these first.

Might be worth checking/cleaning all the ground connections including the ECM and engine grounds.

Timeisrelative (12-15-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 05:55 AM
Received 4,319 Likes on 3,732 Posts

Hey JaJagJay - that aftermarket gizmo is a good thing!!!! Looks like a previous owner (wonder if they were a forum member) took the time to install a Real Gauge module from forum member WhiteXKR. Here is the link to his website About XK8 / XKR / XJ RealGauge - TheJagWrangler

PS - great job on your efforts to get her back on the road!!!! Look forward to seeing pics of her on the road again!

Last edited by sklimii; 12-15-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member

Awesome!

I had to move some things around while I was doing (if ya can call it that, lol) what I been doing. Still have it here ready to go back in... Good.

Thanks for the info!

Old 12-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Sklim... What does it mean if ya just unhook this gauge system... Does the machine depend on it once installed?

Old 12-15-2019, 10:48 AM
Received 6,332 Likes on 5,517 Posts

You will find the details here About XK8 / XKR / XJ RealGauge - TheJagWrangler or send a PM to Steve - Whitexkr

Old 12-15-2019, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Default RealGauge - cool addition but doesn’t stop start

+1 to Steve and the previous owner.

The real gauge mod is one of my plans for 2020. Cool addition to provide real time data to the gauges.

Can’t see why the oil pressure sensors or Temp gauge would stop the engine start up.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, guys.

​​​​​​I'm at a delicate stage. I'll assume disconnecting it will have no ill effects on what I need to do and how this thing behaves...? Lol,,, that's not discussed much on the site... At the moment it's in the way...

Old 12-15-2019, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DavidYau
+1 to Steve and the previous owner.

The real gauge mod is one of my plans for 2020. Cool addition to provide real time data to the gauges.

Can’t see why the oil pressure sensors or Temp gauge would stop the engine start up.
It's not about start up... The car was in a flood. In that,,, there are many many electrical things I need to be dealing with (to the best of my ability) --- see the half dozen questions I put to the group above...

So, anything that is going to effect the function of one of the MAJOR modules,,, raises questions... The center console. And, it did have an effect, negative (in my case) because it wasn't and couldn't be completely connected at all times. It turned out to be another variable (of many) that I could not predict...

Know what I mean?

Quick Reply: Flooded (H2O) 2003 Jaguar XKR Convertible RESCUE thread