XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

The Folly of the Temperature Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Got back from my trip, to find my PLX DM 200 had arrived!. This is a commercial 60mm OLED gauge, that can show about 20 different 'standard' OBD parameters, and can also be hooked up to old school analog sensors.

Quickly hooked it up to the XKR this evening to see if it would work (it does) and how the gauge would look behind the center 3 hole panel that I had purchased. So far I'm pretty pleased. This is the 'standard' gauge, and it looks a lot better in the flesh than it does in the photos (in the photos the rectangular screen tends to show up, you can hardly see it in 'real life'). This is currently the 'standard' skin; I am going to experiment with a custom gauge, which can (literally) be anything you want. As you can see, it is displaying 'real' water temp....

I am still working with the home brewed Arduino (and now have that talking to the ECU); that approach is less expensive, and gives me more flexibility (I can do a Jaguar clock in the center gauge), but is a lot more work (though it's fun!)

The bad news is that PLX have just discontinued the DM200. The replacement (DM6) doesn't (IMO) look as good.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mike66
Gee, and I was going to run my Taylor oven thermometer probe through the firewall and clamp it on my radiator hose as a high tech solution. Guess now I'll wait to see what develops with all this data stuff.
Why did I just have a flashback from Michael Douglas and the turkey in the oven scene from "War of the Roses"?

Old 11-21-2011, 11:30 PM

Thought I'd post a photo of the Arduino up and running with a hacked together Jaguar clock. I also have the OBD connection up and running, though it's not connected here (hence the clock). Note the LCD here is slightly too small (and has those icons on the right..), but is just for test purposes.

Having now confirmed the PLX works with the XKR (last post) and also got my 'home grown' version, I'm considering exactly what to do; I'm considering 3 screens (one to replace each gauge). Center one would be a clock, but it would also monitor OBD, and if any 'alarm' conditions came up (or DTCs) would display them, and perhaps allow reset.

Really, I'm just playing here, but now I can get the data on the Arduino the world is my oyster...I welcome any suggestions. Output doesn't have to be LCD...

I've been trying to find if anyone makes a ROUND (or small square) modern GPS/SatNav - if the video for that was switched to one of the gauges that would be perfect...

-Steve

Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Very cool!

Even though you are talking to the ECU now, you may be able to reduce your R&D effort considerably by using one of the ELM interpreter chips between the ECU and the Arduino: Elm Electronics Products - OBD ICs. Have you considered that?

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 11-22-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Very cool!

Even though you are talking to the ECU now, you may be able to reduce your R&D effort considerably by using one of the ELM interpreter chips between the ECU and the Arduino: Elm Electronics Products - OBD ICs. Have you considered that?
I'm ahead of you there! That red PCB on the right has got an ELM 327, plus some chips to handle CAN as well. It's hooked into the arduino serially (as is the clock chip, on the breadboard, and the LCD display). With the link back to the PC for monitoring that's 4 serial links I'm running currently. It looks pretty big, laid out for prototyping, but all of this will fit into a box about the size of a pack of cards.

Did you see the post on the DM-200? That works pretty well, but isn't that user friendly to set up for a custom gauge (you need 100 separate images, to cover 100 'frames' between max and min. However, that does give you almost infinite flexibility in what it looks like.

Steve

Old 12-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

when you get this done, we will need to have a new silk screen to put on the gauge to show real temps.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I have been looking at various options.

The best (and most costly) is to have new gauge faces made.

A custom dry transfer decal will be less costly, but will not light up at night.

A third alternative is to leave it as is, and tap into the LCD display to provide the precise readings electronically.

Comments and ideas are welcome!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Would the needle rise in a linear fashon wrt the temp increase? Example...if the red line is 240, would half way up be 120? 3/4 up 180? etc...

Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
Would the needle rise in a linear fashon wrt the temp increase? Example...if the red line is 240, would half way up be 120? 3/4 up 180? etc...
Good question...I have not decided yet, but since it is controlled by a microprocessor I can make it behave any way we want.

I need to take precise data on what the existng system calls 'normal' and 'redline' and factor that into the decsion along with a desire to have nice even numbers and a linear display if possible.

Funny this topic was raised today...time has been scarce lately but I am actually working on this project today.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-18-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I'd prefer the new gauge face.

But you are working on it today? No honey do list??

Last edited by stevepaa; 12-18-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stevepaa
No honey do list??
I hustled the last two weekends to get this day. My wife's notepaper BTW:
Hatley Store: Hatley Nag Nag Nag Magnetic List

Old 12-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Good question...I have not decided yet, but since it is controlled by a microprocessor I can make it behave any way we want.

I need to take precise data on what the existng system calls 'normal' and 'redline' and factor that into the decsion along with a desire to have nice even numbers and a linear display if possible.

Funny this topic was raised today...time has been scarce lately but I am actually working on this project today.
I'm sure that every analog engine gauge I've ever seen has been linear. It makes for quick interpretation with just a glance of the eye, with mid scale being normal operation. Makes the ones that aren't operating normaly stand out.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Default Update

Based on popular demand on the forum and on my website, converting the fake water temperature and oil pressure gauges to real ones has soared to the top of the list for the next 'thejagwrangler.com' product.

As a result, I spent quite a bit of time over the holiday break working on this project. I am happy to say I have built a proof-of-concept test fixture, written software for it, and demonstrated that I can take complete control of the Jag's stepper motor based gauges. I have also confirmed a suffiicient source of supply for one needed component, which is no longer manufactured, but without which would make this project much more difficult.

I am now ordering parts for a complete product prototype and investing in a large lot of this one part which is out of production. I hope to have an easy to install product available this spring at a reasonable price point. Once the prototype is ready, I'll post pictures and more details.

Thanks to all of you who have already purchased my products....you have made the continued development of new XK8/XKR products possible.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-03-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Glad to hear it, WhiteXKR...thanks for the update and we're all looking forward to seeing what you come up with. What a great upgrade this could be.

This forum is just superb, with such a stellar group of guys.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Fantastic news! Knew you could do it!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Whitey;

Will this accurate temp gauge display through the three gauge digital version you have done for the Nav. Screen?

Could set it to flash and override the Nav/Clock screens if anything requires immediate attention. Or a small flashing icon in either of those screens.

Sign me up for one too please.

As a one of the 'idiots' who cooked an engine in a '67 420 when I was crossing Nevada in my college days on the theory that 130 degrees was not much....Celsius gauge....RHD import...no red line....I am fairly keen on accurate gauges.

Since the top tank had a leak the shop, 'Isis Motors' of San Francisco, eventually had it towed from the middle of no where, Tonopah Nevada, back to SF and fixed it but it was a hard and expensive lesson for a guy on a college budget.

Not keen to repeat the experience.

cheers,

jj

Old 01-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jamjax
Whitey;

Will this accurate temp gauge display through the three gauge digital version you have done for the Nav. Screen?

Could set it to flash and override the Nav/Clock screens if anything requires immediate attention. Or a small flashing icon in either of those screens.
The digital nav. screen gauges in my sig. link are made by HKS and are already 'real' and accurate. If you get that, there is no need for an additional mod. The HKS also have an audible alarm feature to alert you if you are not paying attention to the gauge or have a different screen up. I will implement that also in my factory gauge upgrade kit.

The following users liked this post:
jamjax (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Whitey Thanks;

I like the three gauge screen and the utility of switching from that to Nav. to clock.

Like the new glass cockpits on airplanes now...

Hoping to get you over for the Loire Valley-Bordeaux Rallye this summer and I am sure there are going to be enough guys to keep you busy....if that is what you want...or to have a tech day.

Along with the car detail guy from the west coast who has shown some interest.

Now if I can just get XKRacer and Avos to come it will be a full house.

Just put me first on the list please for the HKS/Garmin upgrade and the cool roof remote, sure makes getting in the car easier with the top down...or out for that matter. Better have the 'resistor' interrupt for pressure spikes on the roof hydraulics as well.

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 01-07-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Please let me know when this gauge mod is available. I have suspected for some time that the gauge is just sitting there, this thread pretty much proves it.
Thanks!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Sure thing...everyone who has expressed an interest will be notified. There will be an oil pressure option also for those who have the 3-guages instead of the nav.

The following users liked this post:
SPIJohn (01-06-2012)

Quick Reply: The Folly of the Temperature Gauge