XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forgive me, Forum, for I have sinned (and now I want a meaty exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog
Hmm, hunting around the forum, I have also come across electric cut-outs. These are new to me, but they appear to offer the ideal solution, i.e. quiet when you're taking the wife out for dinner and then loud when you want to have a bit of a thrash. Does anyone have any experience of these on their XK8/R?
I don't have experience with them and if all you want is sound, it'll be cheaper than replacing the cats. Replacing the cats isn't just a sound modification, it's also a performance modification as well, so you'll get anywhere from 10-25 hp by doing that.

But, one of the biggest limiters of sound ARE the factory cats. Replacing them and you'll get much better exhaust note. And, if you keep the rest of the exhaust stock, your exhaust tone will be quiet if you want to drive mild and will sound great if you floor it... all without having to push a switch.

My main complaint would be that the exhaust cutouts will eventually rust, the seals will eventually give and the motors or electronics will eventually die leaving you with another set of possible problems to repair, while the cats should last the lifetime of the vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
Frog (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Good points there. Thanks. I had thought about the corrosion issue with the cut-outs. I think I will go with the Nameless downpipes, as you & others have kindly suggested

Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

Well, I just ordered a pair. But now I can't find the installation instructions I came across on the forum somewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Old 06-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New Exhaust

There are many options depending on price, retaining the old exhaust just in case and your ability to fabricate. I chose the Mina exhaust because it takes about an hour to install on a hoist. You take the OEM exhaust off behind the converter and save it. This system system is stainless steel and bolts right up. It eliminates the resonators and the pipes go under the axel in stead of over the mufflers fit right where the old ones did with no modification to the car. You have a choice of quad tips or two oval ones. The sound is a lower pitch growl but not much louder. I was pleased. The price is about $900.00. Good Luck

Old 06-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Well, I just ordered a pair. But now I can't find the installation instructions I came across on the forum somewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?
Frog,

The instructions are right under your nose, on this very thread. See my earlier post... there is a PDF attached!

Frog (06-16-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Good points there. Thanks. I had thought about the corrosion issue with the cut-outs. I think I will go with the Nameless downpipes, as you & others have kindly suggested
I think that's the best option, personally. You can do a whole bunch to the back end of your exhaust, but everyone who does that is actually trying to get rid of or compensate for the horrible tone-sucking cats.

So, unlike most other exhaust mods, you're really knocking two proverbial birds with one proverbial stone and if you're not happy with the sound of your exhaust after the cats, you can always remove the two rear mufflers or add a Mina or other kit.

Even guys with cars that could smoke mine outright get really nervous when they hear me rev... they often give up without a fight... or rather, a stoplight race. lol

Oh, and I've had looks of sheer terror after reving alongside Boxter and M3 owners who think their cars are sporty.

Frog (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 02:36 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Frog,

The instructions are right under your nose, on this very thread. See my earlier post... there is a PDF attached!

I knew I'd seen them somewhere! Many thanks

Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2013, 02:38 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by xenophobe
I think that's the best option, personally. You can do a whole bunch to the back end of your exhaust, but everyone who does that is actually trying to get rid of or compensate for the horrible tone-sucking cats.

So, unlike most other exhaust mods, you're really knocking two proverbial birds with one proverbial stone and if you're not happy with the sound of your exhaust after the cats, you can always remove the two rear mufflers or add a Mina or other kit.

Even guys with cars that could smoke mine outright get really nervous when they hear me rev... they often give up without a fight... or rather, a stoplight race. lol

Oh, and I've had looks of sheer terror after reving alongside Boxter and M3 owners who think their cars are sporty.
Thanks for your input. I am a little nervous, as I already deleted the rear mufflers about two years ago. TBH, it didn't make that much difference, so I'm hoping the Nameless downpipes won't make me sound too much like a street racer all the time.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for your input. I am a little nervous, as I already deleted the rear mufflers about two years ago. TBH, it didn't make that much difference, so I'm hoping the Nameless downpipes won't make me sound too much like a street racer all the time.
Did you use the Mina Rear Muffler delete? I was thinking about doing that until I just heard what you said. Maybe I will be ordering Nameless downpipes. Post a video when you install everything Please!
Thanks

Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

What else are you running besides the nameless cats? Do you have any videos?
Thanks

Old 06-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

No, it'll only sound like that when you give it serious throttle. Even with my exhaust being louder now, the noise level is acceptable if you're taking it easy.

Originally Posted by JaguarXKR
What else are you running besides the nameless cats? Do you have any videos?
Thanks
NP cats, Borla 2x in/out, Mina exhaust... this vid was done shortly after finishing it. It's noticeably louder now than when I first recorded this:

Frog (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 AM
Veteran member

No, it'll only sound like that when you give it serious throttle. Even with my exhaust being louder now, the noise level is acceptable if you're taking it easy.
That's perfect. Thanks for your help. I will post a video/sound clip once the new cats are installed.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:19 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by JaguarXKR
Did you use the Mina Rear Muffler delete?
No, I just used some straight-through pipes I found on UK eBay. They were only about $200 and easy to fit, but only made a slight difference to the overall sound. More like having the volume turned up 10-15%, rather than an actual change in the exhaust note.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Larini is your salvation then, my son. ^_^

Larini is a world-class exhaust manufacturer, they build some of the best sounding/looking exhaust exclusive to higher-end luxury and exotic/sports cars. They're not going to be cheap (1800 USD I think for the full exhaust) but they'll be worth it with, not only, a gain in hp of roughly 20~ but in sound too. Here, they have two sound notes, characteristically made different for different drivers. V1 is a little more timmid and reserved than V2 but still meaty and throaty on WOT while V2 will give you that no-bull-sports-car sound. Check them both out here, they'll have clips of both versions of the exhaust as well as half-exhaust options. Exhaust upgrades