XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

The Forum has me nervous.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Maintenance after purchase.

Originally Posted by brgjag
Curious now, what maint has been done to the car? Give me info to SCARE you.
I bought this car with no maintenance history, but as an auto guy in my career from design to assembly I fealt pretty confident in the overall condition of the car. I did oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid, power steering and transmission. Changed the serpentine belt and all rad hoses. I got an ELM 327 and torque and managed to clear the only code with a new fuel cap. Using the forum helps I was able to repair the headrest up and down. Only fluid I don't know about is rear end and refurbishing the rear end is next winters project so I am crossing my fingers. Also did fuel filter.
I was under it for a few weeks painting it with POR15 and checked all lines and hoses so all is well there.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daro31
I bought this car with no maintenance history, but as an auto guy in my career from design to assembly I fealt pretty confident in the overall condition of the car. I did oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid, power steering and transmission. Changed the serpentine belt and all rad hoses. I got an ELM 327 and torque and managed to clear the only code with a new fuel cap. Using the forum helps I was able to repair the headrest up and down. Only fluid I don't know about is rear end and refurbishing the rear end is next winters project so I am crossing my fingers. Also did fuel filter.
I was under it for a few weeks painting it with POR15 and checked all lines and hoses so all is well there.
At first, I had the same paranoia you have with my 2005 XK8 with 80,000 miles. I've owned the car for a year now and put 5000 miles on it and all I've done is change the oil. Those 5000 miles have all been 200 or 300 mile journeys per clip. Of all the cars that I have owned over 30 years (Benz, BMW, 3 other Jags, Fords, Chevys, Honda, Volvo, etc) I have found this card to be the lowest maintenance and most reliable in the first 12 months of ownership. I love the car and I love to drive the car. Pack her up, take off and enjoy your trip!!

Old 06-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Last November, I bought my 97 with 56K and now drive it everyday. I changed the oil and rear subwoofers. That's it. I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. If it breaks, I'll fix it.

Drive and enjoy!

Old 06-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Drive it!

I'm with Madbrad on this. I drive mine everyday. Long trips. Short trips. Why would you want to own something you are afraid to drive?

Old 06-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I've owned Jaguars and they been very reliable. In my XJ8L I got better service from it than I got from my Lexus. Plus, my car had over 150k in it.

Like ANY luxury car in the morden era most cars are reliable but will need to be serviced. The jaguar is a great car...... Drive and enjoy it, if not I'll take it!

Old 06-09-2015, 10:00 AM
Thumbs up Thanks for all of the encouragment.

I bought this car for the pleasure of driving it, and just as much for the pleasure of maintaining her. My secret agenda is to still be able to get in and out of her and underneath when I am 76, 10 years from now, at that point I hope I can give her to my grandson who will be 23. At 13 all he talks about now is can I drive her when I get my license. He also likes to help with the polishing and seems to like the fact that there is no room in the back seat for his little sister. All of the responses from this group lead me to believe with some TLC and probably a few set backs over the years one day I may be able to hand off the keys to Jake.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:05 PM

I have a 2006 xkr and in the past 8yrs I have made six trips from edmonton alberta to montreal quebec for the F1 race and I have never had any type of problem

Old 07-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Madbrad
Last November, I bought my 97 with 56K and now drive it everyday. I changed the oil and rear subwoofers. That's it. I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. If it breaks, I'll fix it.

Drive and enjoy!

If your timing chain stuff that goes wrong with these cars (especially 1997) has not been fixed I'd do it ASAP. Lower miles DOES NOT MEAN lower chances of that issue happening. I would say everyone here would agree with me. Way easy to lose a motor it not fixed. You can find many threads here where folks went ahead and fixed their and found issues had already started.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:02 PM
Default Leaving Saturday morning, you were all right I have technicians syndrome.

Originally Posted by teddy v
I have a 2006 xkr and in the past 8yrs I have made six trips from edmonton alberta to montreal quebec for the F1 race and I have never had any type of problem
My wife is packing as if we were flying, not taking the van. I bought a CAA membership which should guarantee no problems. Looking forward to so go pro movies along the St. Lawrence River south shore. Thanks for everyones encouragement.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:02 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Madbrad

Drive and enjoy!
Well I should have known not to jinx myself! Car has been down for three weeks with a total ecu meltdown. (See "Total everything failure" thread.)

I will learn a lesson from this.

I still say, however, drive and enjoy! If it breaks, I'll fix it. (I hope!)

Madbrad

Old 07-19-2015, 07:48 PM
Default Made it to Gaspe'

So took everyones advice and did a thousand miles in the last 2 days. Last 200 miles through twisty ocean side hilly roads of the Gaspe' peninsula. This is the country Jags are made for. A little rainy today but we will get some top down weather this week.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

JagV8 said,

Oh - if you have soft 2-part lug nuts, think about changing them.

How do you tell if you have the 2 part lug nuts and why should they be changed?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Refreshing bit of optimism, this thread. I also have been getting the nervous twitches from spending so much time perusing these forums. Thanks for the alt viewpoint.

The following users liked this post:
Gus (11-19-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary G
JagV8 said,

Oh - if you have soft 2-part lug nuts, think about changing them.

How do you tell if you have the 2 part lug nuts and why should they be changed?
Missed that. Take them off and look.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,855 Posts

And the two-piece lug nuts should be replaced because if they fall apart while you (or a heavy-handed tire tool guy) are attempting to remove them to change a flat tire, you could be stranded big-time....

Old 11-20-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

This forum is about guys who care for and love their Jaguars! We want them as close to perfect as possible and enjoy working on the problems (some of the problems) and take pride in our work and car. I have owned Jaguars since my first '67 E-Type in '74 and love the cars. They are no Honda or Toyota but think, what is the oldest Japanese car you see on the road except for for the Datsun Z car? (Had 2 of the XKE knock offs, stick with the Jaguar). The Jaguar is like a beautiful wife or girlfriend, lots of compliments and envy from those that cannot put forth the effort to satisfy their needs!
Drive and smile!

Old 11-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Default Not Nervous Anymore.

Originally Posted by larueb
This forum is about guys who care for and love their Jaguars! We want them as close to perfect as possible and enjoy working on the problems (some of the problems) and take pride in our work and car. I have owned Jaguars since my first '67 E-Type in '74 and love the cars. They are no Honda or Toyota but think, what is the oldest Japanese car you see on the road except for for the Datsun Z car? (Had 2 of the XKE knock offs, stick with the Jaguar). The Jaguar is like a beautiful wife or girlfriend, lots of compliments and envy from those that cannot put forth the effort to satisfy their needs!
Drive and smile!
You are exactly right. Sometimes I think my wife may be jealous.
Tomorrow they are calling for snow so kitty is going away for the winter. This summer I put on 15,000 km. With 2 long trips and everyday driving. Only problem is I noticed the other day a burned out light bulb on a heater control switch. This winter the rear end is coming out for a rebuild, no problems but I don't know last time the oil was changed and I would like the the bottom to look as good as the top and bushings are probably do.
Thanks again to all of the encouragement from fellow Jag owners on this forum.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:31 AM

Like most other members on this thread, I had intitial unease about the service, maintenance and reliability of the 2005 XK8 I purchased in 2014 with 75,000 miles on the clock. Yes, I was a bit nervous having owned three different Jags over the years (XJS, XK and XJ8 VDP). I know what it is to have a very tight relationship with my indie. These cars were all very "temperamental" and difficult to rely on as my daily driver and costly.

That's all changed with my 2005 XK8 experience. This car is the most reliable car I have ever owned with the lowest maintenance cost over a 18 month, 15,000 mile period. And I've owned many makes/models of cars both new and used -- many Mercedes, Lexus, Honda, BMW, Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Mazda.....The 2005 XK8 is simply the best. It's a phenomal GT car and I much prefer it to the 2007 XK I had previously owned. I use the car for 400 mile round trips about every week/ every other week on average.

Only advice I offer is to check out the car as well as you can before buying. Make sure you review all maintenance records, understand number of previous owners and any chronic, recurring issues. Also suggest having an indie you trust do a complete pre-purchase inspection so you know what you have.

Finally, pay more $$ for a better, well maintained car up front. You will greatly benefit with lower costs, less frustration and reduced anxiety in the long run.

Not nervous any more! Drive and enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails The Forum has me nervous.-image.jpeg  
Old 11-22-2015, 06:47 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Returned yesterday from a quick trip to Miami (from Atlanta). Lots of miles. No problems.

We bring our problems here. We don't usually come to say what a great time we had with these cars.

I had the same reservations after reading this forum when I bought my 2006 in 2010. Sure I've had a few issues. But I have never been stranded. Actually never had anything huge go wrong. Minor things can cost $$$, but I knew that when I signed up.

Jack

Old 11-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

I just completed an 1,800mi round-trip (Chicago to North Carolina). I drove my 2005 XK8 with 93k miles there, and returned with my 2006 XKR with 60k miles. It was 15 hours each way, and I drove almost straight through both ways, so the cars weren't able to rest!

They both performed flawlessly, and wouldn't hesitate to make the trip again.

None of my Jags have ever left me stranded, and I've never had to do any repairs beyond small stuff and routine maintenance for the XK8.

Lovely cars for a road trip, that's what they were designed for!

Thread about the trip, with some pics: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ory-ed-152240/