XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found XK8 with key issues Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found XK8 with key issues Should I buy?

Test drove 97 Jaguar XK8 yesterday. Seller unsure how many previous owners. No service history. Has what I think are 2 valet keys- no pushbuttons, starts car but won't open trunk at rear emblem. Pushing open trunk button on dash just beeps. So no idea if there is a spare tire, stacks of $100 bills or a dead body for all I know back there. What's the going rate for a master key with remote from a dealer? Can a dealer access any service perfomed on this car from their database?If I can get more info I may buy this. Cheer me on or talk me out of it

Old 06-15-2020, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Key issues first

Well,

Tough one to check and advise on. Photos will help, so post those esp. of the engine bay.

First, it’s most unusual to have 2 valet keys. Are both green? Check out this thread esp. post 6 showing the differences between keys.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estion-140640/

Changing a green valet key to a master key is a 2 min DIY job with a file/Dremel.

I take it owner has lost the seperate car alarm fobs. Not a deal breaker as these can be found separately and DIY programmed to car.

Beeping as you press the trunk open dash button probably means valet mode is on. Any messages on the dash?

I would guess the trunk key hole mechanism is jammed through lack of use. If owner lets you, squirt a bit of luv through the lock to see if it frees up. Then hopefully you can check out what’s inside.

As for the rest of the car, as you know, no service records is a major risk. Even if you find the Dealer(s) who dealt with the car, they are unlikely to have any recent records.

My recommendation is to find a knowledgeable Forum member to go with you to inspect the car. It’s obvious for those “in the know” to spot if some of the earlier X100 weaknesses have been fixed ie if it’s a AJ26 or AJ27 engine (some earlier cars had engine switched under warranty), aluminium cooling tower, upper shock mounts etc. I often go with friends, or friends of friends, to have a look at potential cars as I’m familiar with BMWs, Porsche and now these old Jags.

Otherwise you’ll need a local mechanic to inspect the car at a fee.

I think you need to do a bit more work prior to purchase.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Sounds like you are looking at a real "Project". Unless you are getting it at a REALLY GREAT bargain, you might want to step back a bit, or unless you have good mech. skills and just want something to do in you spare time(Besides drive it). The level of reconditioning you plan will be a big factor.

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 08:24 AM
Received 141 Likes on 79 Posts

I know what is in the tunk...

Old 06-16-2020, 08:25 AM
Received 141 Likes on 79 Posts

assume a car of that age will need some significant work unless you really have a good inspection. if it is cheap, go for it. The one thing you need to be very careful of is the transmission since that would be a very expensive repair. Any clicks or hard shifting, walk away from it if it is not basically a giveaway.

Last edited by scottatl; 06-16-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagYouWire
..... What's the going rate for a master key with remote from a dealer? .....
About the same as I would pay for a 1997 with no history.

If it's CHEAP and you are a GAMBLER then it's the car for you. Assuming keys/remotes are the only problem, you could have the vehicle running and locking/unlocking for a few hundred more. Hit trouble with tensioners, cooling system or transmission and that jumps to a few thousand.

A CHEAP purchase price makes a different equation. If the worst happens and it's going to cost a fortune to fix then parting out should get your money back and then some.

Interesting project/challenge but not the ideal way to get into Jaguar ownership.

Graham

Old 06-16-2020, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,502 Likes on 1,051 Posts

'97 have no crypto chip built-in, so all you need is a mechanical key. Check the classifieds for a reseller of TIBBE 8-cut keys (that is the type of key you need). All you need is a copy of what you have, so a good picture is all it takes.

For the fob, this is unfortunately the pre-2001 earlier system before the fobs became widely available. The vanilla answer is to do some research (or ask) for the proper number on the back of the fob (FCC ID?) and find some "out there", like eBay. They are not as cheap as the later models, but still not outrageous (maybe $50?). Some cleaning of the pads might be required for better operation.

Pairing the fob to the car is a manual procedure you can do yourself (check the stickies), no need for any specialty software or visit the dealer.

In short, this key/fob situation is not a show stopper in your decision to go ahead with this car or not.

Last edited by fmertz; 06-16-2020 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typo
volkris (06-17-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 09:35 AM
Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Take your time

There are plenty of NICE XK8's for sale, especially in California and the west. Having owned a 2000 if I had to do it over again I would look for a 2003 or newer car, 6 speed and 4.2 engine. The extra money you pay will more than balance out what a project will cost. Service history is a must. Rust or collision damage don't walk away, run away. If you plan on having a shop work on the car be very aware of the cost of repairs and maintenace.

The basic truth of buying the newest lowest miles car youj can fit in your budget applies here.

DavidYau (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Sounds pretty risky. Usually the things that are obvious are the tip of the iceberg. I guess it depends on how good it looks and how much they want for it - and if you feel like it's worth your time and effort, and/or money to bring it up to speed. I tend to agree with David D. above. ^^^

DavidYau (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 11:32 AM
Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

I have a '97, and got the Keyfob off ebay for less than $50. Here's a current ad. https://www.ebay.com/itm/352453160791
Had a spare key made by Car Locks and Keys. $33. You can take a picture of your current key, and they should be able to make a regular ( non-valet) key. Make sure you let them know that is the issue, and what you need.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for all your replies. Good to know the key may not be the problem I thought. At $3400 while cheap, not really a giveaway as parts and labor can mushroom costs considerably. Dont really need yet another project.Ill post some pics when I go see him again. Anyone near Anaheim wanna come with?

Old 06-17-2020, 10:58 PM
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Someone remind us how to turn off the valet mode? Does it require a keyfob to turn off?

Could it be that the thing's just in valet mode and waiting for a buyer to grab a <$50 key off of eBay, program it in himself, and hit the unlock button to turn off valet and open the trunk?

It could also be that the emblem lock has come disconnected from the latch release.