XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Front license plate bracket. 2000 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 12:04 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Front license plate bracket. 2000 XK8

I live in California which requires a front & rear license plate. I bought the car in a state which had no front plate requirement so the car did not have a bracket for the front. I bought a bracket but I noticed there are only two tiny holes in the nose guard which look very flimsy and are not threaded like the rear bracket. Additionally, I cannot get behind them to use a bolt & screw system. Any specific guidelines for mounting rather than self-tapping screws & a glue gun? Thanks.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:25 PM
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Looks inadequate but worked fine on my 01. Sheet metal screws.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,181 Likes on 760 Posts

I used a commonly available plate cover and mounted it using screws through bumper into delrin rod. The rod was suitable diameter to sit neatly within the nose molding of the bumper.
simple bracket below to prevent any speed induced backward movement is simply stuck in place with trim adhesive tape.

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 08:27 PM
Received 8,318 Likes on 5,020 Posts

When I worked at the dealer we would install the front tag frame during PDI because Texas requires a front tag. A customer wanted to buy the XKR on the showroom floor but demanded that the front tag be removed and the holes repaired in the damaged front bumper grill.

The new car sales dept sent the car to the body shop to get the bumper/grill parts replaced/painted (expensive added cost to the dept) and then a memo was issued to the service dept to NOT INSTALL THE XK FRONT TAG FRAME DURING PDI unless approved.

When I was performing the PDI on an XK I always went to the New Car dept and asked if they wanted the front tag mount installed.

They would say NO if the car was for inventory or call the customer if the car was a SOLD unit.

The front tag frame was always placed in the spare wheel well if it was NOT mounted to the car,

The vertical bumper/grill plastic covered parts need to be drilled and tapped into the aluminum for secure mounting. (or mounted like baxtor did)

I have a customer that 'zip-tied' a sponge with the metal tag in front to the car so it would not damage the paint.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:29 PM
Received 8,318 Likes on 5,020 Posts

When I worked at the dealer we would install the front tag frame during PDI because Texas requires a front tag. A customer wanted to buy the XKR on the showroom floor but demanded that the front tag be removed and the holes repaired in the damaged front bumper grill.

The new car sales dept sent the car to the body shop to get the bumper/grill parts replaced/painted (expensive added cost to the dept) and then a memo was issued to the service dept to NOT INSTALL THE XK FRONT TAG FRAME DURING PDI unless approved.

When I was performing the PDI on an XK I always went to the New Car dept and asked if they wanted the front tag mount installed.

They would say NO if the car was for inventory or call the customer if the car was a SOLD unit.

The front tag frame was always placed in the spare wheel well if it was NOT mounted to the car,

The vertical bumper/grill plastic covered parts need to be drilled and tapped into the aluminum for secure mounting. (or mounted like baxtor did)

I have a customer that 'zip-tied' a sponge with the metal tag in front to the car so it would not damage the paint.