XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by weisberg
the big question with your motorized retractable plate is...

how long have you had it? User mjlaris warned 3-4 months and may not work anymore so to get the manual one ($43) he referenced in the other thread

Retractable Hide Away License Plate Frame Bracket Holder Mount Kit | eBay
I drive mostly weekends but this has been on my car close to a year with no issues. Rain and all types of wet weather I might have been caught in. Even the car wash a few times. No issues. The motor with mine had a rubber like collar to seal it from moistre and the rest was just installing correctly. I paid $110. for mine off ebay.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by creativebush
I know, I know, it would be a travesty to put a front plate on an xk8/xkr but unfortunately in Idaho front plates are required. So far I haven't been pulled over but just in case I went to the local Jag dealer parts department and ordered a mounting bracket for a front license plate.

What I received had absolutely no instructions and it was just a piece of black plastic with some posts sticking out of the back that I was guessing would form fit the lower lip on the front bumper. Plus, it looks like I have to drill holes to mount it. Needless to say I've not yet done this as the piece of plastic is not form fitting and really doesn't seem to fit anwhere.

I'm pretty sure the parts guy ordered the right part as he took down the vin # of the car to make sure he got the right part.

Is there another type, possible something that attaches to existing bolts under the car?

If not, I might have to make one out of an erector set or something
Drive without it. I have been driving mine for over 5 years here in Texas with no porblems. Even stopped one night after making a left turn with no turn signal and cop checked the front turn signal and didn't say a thing.

The problem with putting a plate on the two front bumper things is it will stop a lot of airflow to the cooling system. And I mean a lot of airflow. If you drive in a hot area I can just about guarantee you will overheat the engine. Tell it to the judge. If states insist on front plates, which do no good at all, then they should make car makers provide a place to put them. Jag shops in this area almost never see front plates. Go for it.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H20boy
September 2007 passed

TX House Bill 1666
thanks, this law is news to me. I've had several police stops on several cars since 2007 for not having front plate mounted.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:21 PM
Received 694 Likes on 345 Posts

It is understandably confusing given the statement which makes it sound like you only need one. In TX, they only issue one plate for motorcycles, tractors, trailers etc, but cars get two.
Sec. 504.943. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway, during a registration period, a motor vehicle that does not display two license plates that:

(1) have been assigned by the department for the period; and

(2) comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mhminnich
It is understandably confusing given the statement which makes it sound like you only need one. In TX, they only issue one plate for motorcycles, tractors, trailers etc, but cars get two.
Sec. 504.943. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway, during a registration period, a motor vehicle that does not display two license plates that:

(1) have been assigned by the department for the period; and

(2) comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.
In Texas they only issue one plate for the rear for antique cars. I have a 90 year car and I only got one plate when I registered it.

But with the XK8 I have been given a warning twice after being pulled over for no other reason than I didn't have a front plate. The fine would have been $200. So I got a piece of hard foam and shaped it to fit over the Lower lip of the opening and then used heavy duty sip tie.

The two pull overs were in the last two years and by rookie highway cops.