XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Front Number Plate Position ( UK)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts
Default Front Number Plate Position ( UK)

My front plate was over the front air intake so I moved it down on a couple of brackets.. OK but potentially a bit low . So I looked into the legality of a stick on plate on the bonnet. ie not vertical. I can find nothing in the DVLA data base about the plate being vertical, viewing angles etc.Standard position for an E type
Has anybody got any information or been stopped by the boys in blue?

Last edited by Pistnbroke; 08-30-2022 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:24 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

VOSA control this stuff in the UK I believe - found this, but it doesn't mention front plates, only rear

https://assets.publishing.service.go...heme-guide.pdf

Might be worth asking them directly

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ervices-agency

Old 08-30-2022, 03:36 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

You will find some UK members who have had a self adhesive plate on the bonnet like an E-Type and never had any problem. However, the regulations are unequivocal regarding dimensions, material used and location.

The regulations are a UK Statutory Instrument:
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../contents/made

This was amended by a specific update on registration plates primarily for ANPR recognition:
The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...1/part/II/made

A check also forms part of the annual MoT where Number plate does not conform to the specified requirements is classed as a major defect.

Graham

Old 08-30-2022, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 371 Posts

From the actual legislation:-

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ulation/6/made
a registration plate must be fixed on the front of the vehicle in the manner required by paragraph (3).

(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed—

(a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable
So there you have it, the front number plate should be fixed on the front of the car in a vertical position, or if that is not possible as near vertical as possible. So unless you can justify why the factory number plate brackets aren't "reasonably practicable" you could get told off. I don't know how often you actually see police around these days to enforce things like this of course...

Old 08-30-2022, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

I am taking another car for an MOT in about 1/2 hr so I will ask the guys if they would have failed the jag with a stick on plate ..E type seem to get away with it .

Old 08-30-2022, 05:06 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
I am taking another car for an MOT in about 1/2 hr so I will ask the guys if they would have failed the jag with a stick on plate ..E type seem to get away with it .
You see a lot of hot hatches with no front plate at all. I think it is just a game of chance and whether the local blue lamps have anything better to do. I have a lower plinth fitted and have never been stopped but it does scrape on speed bumps.

Smithy

Old 08-30-2022, 05:11 PM

My front plate was over the front air intake so I moved it down on a couple of brackets.. OK but potentially a bit low . So I looked into the legality of a stick on plate on the bonnet. ie not vertical. I can find nothing in the DVLA data base about the plate being vertical, viewing angles etc.Standard position for an E type
13 years and I have not been stopped yet but as said speed bump scrapes are a problem 😐👍

Old 08-30-2022, 05:33 PM

My belief is that it has a lot to do with the ANR system that our Big Brother government uses to keep track on us. I reckon that your average decent minded policeman would overlook a classic car enthusiast with a bonnet sticker as they have better things to do and would think that it was ok. But... you might get the odd thick blue lamp rookie who wishes to make a name for himself. Personally mate, and no offence meant.... I think we should leave the bonnet stickers to the E-Types not our XK's. In the same way we should leave the bonnet leapers to the S-Type and Mark 2's
Ha ha just my VHO
KR's .... Smithy