XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Front Shock Mounting Assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 01:08 PM
Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Front Shock Mounting Assemblies

Still very new to Jaguar and the XK8 I recently bought. I replaced the cam timing chains, guides and tensioners, thermostat, thermostat housing and tower and water pump, on this 39,000 mile 2001 MY, and planned on doing this when I was shopping for a car. But, I grossly overlooked the front suspension weaknesses on this car. It is riding low with noticeable camber and there is crumbling of the mounts visible, but the bolts at the top are still centered and there is no shifting or clunking when I jerk the wheel back and forth while driving. Tires are fairly new.
I see LOTS of threads on the forum about the upper shock mounts and how they disintegrate and throw the alignment and ride height way out, so it looks like I have more work to do.

I see from threads I've read that the OEM ones are junk, and the Welsh ones are marginally better. There are others, some "poly," but it looks like no one has been satisfied with any aftermarket parts.

Does anyone have any experience with the "Upgraded Shock Mounting Assemblies" that Moss Motors here in the US is selling?

Old 08-05-2021, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,514 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickel
I see from threads I've read that the OEM ones are junk, and the Welsh ones are marginally better.
I would probably qualify this by saying that the Welsh mount has been a disappointment mostly for folks living in areas with poor road conditions (lots of pot holes, etc.). For us with ok/standard roads, it has been a lot more durable. I'd say it is a good part to get "by default", about the same $ as stock, and likely much more durable under normal conditions. Just my view...

The following users liked this post:
dfbender (08-06-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 778 Posts

You could try contacting members Wayne (cjd777) and Baxtor about the upgraded shock mount they are developing. I am currently testing Wayne's shock mounts and can say they are turning out much sturdier than the Welsh variant. Search the thread "Top Shock Tower Issue".

cjd777 (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 10:13 PM

"For us with ok/standard roads, it has been a lot more durable. I'd say it is a good part to get "by default", about the same $ as stock, and likely much more durable under normal conditions."

That's an interesting take on this. Is what you are saying that the Welsh parts are good and durable so long as they are not abused? Roads around here are not too bad.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
You could try contacting members Wayne (cjd777) and Baxtor about the upgraded shock mount they are developing. I am currently testing Wayne's shock mounts and can say they are turning out much sturdier than the Welsh variant. Search the thread "Top Shock Tower Issue".
I have read through that thread. I am really impressed at the work you all have done and the persistence on this. Thank you for that. I am sure it will benefit us all at some time, and Kudos!
It seems the proof is in the long term durability of this though, and I'm trying to find the best solution for my car (and tires) for now.

Old 08-06-2021, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,400 Likes on 2,872 Posts

The "best solution for your car now" is indeed Wayne's system. Talk with him and you will understand why. He has put a tremendous amount of research, time, and effort into his design. Visit his three-bay home shop in Spencer and you will see for yourself....

When the Welsh mounts on my wife's 2006 XK8 fail, I am heading to Wayne's. I know his product is better than anything else on the market right now....

I see you have a 1980 Triumph TR7. The trip to Wayne's is worth it just to see his 1949 Triumph Roadster, his 1970 TR6, and his custom "Spit6" that he is creating from four different Spitfires and GT6s. You will not believe your eyes....

Last edited by Jon89; 08-06-2021 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:54 AM

Well, maybe I misunderstood the extent to which Wayne has worked this out. I thought it was still in the prototype and testing stage. That's encouraging. AND I would love to visit his place sometime.
By the way, I measured the ride height at the front and it is just below 15 inches at this time. From what I've read, new mounts won't make up that much difference. Do I need to buy new springs as well?

Old 08-06-2021, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,400 Likes on 2,872 Posts

At only 39,000 miles, I believe the probability that your car needs new springs is fairly low. If new shock mount components wind up getting your measurements up to 15.25 to 15.5 inches, then you will certainly be within the proper range....

Old 08-06-2021, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,364 Likes on 754 Posts

Two thoughts there, you can of course get new springs and gain a good 1/2 inch, depending on the bottom shimming or use a 1/4 inch top spacer and get it up to 15 1/2 or 5/8's. Still doesn't solve the off center bushings and crumbled pad. That is in the ideal range for good chamber on these cars.
New mounts will help in only the large donut under the bell at the top. The crushing of that bushing and relaxing of the spring is generally the case of drop from the normal range.
The spacer on the top, between top shock mount (bell) and the inner fender seems to give a little more than the 1/4 inch thickness and is 70A, so not a sponge, very firm.
We feel we have solved most of the problems, but nothing is going to last in a area that the abuse these parts are subject too.
Hope this helps. Wayne

Old 08-06-2021, 12:22 PM
Received 583 Likes on 279 Posts

My 2 cents worth opinion on Wayne's mounts. The heavy wear and abrasion portion of the mounts are addressed with Energy Suspension Poly Bushings. My 30+years experience with their products involve off road 4 WD vehicle and some resto-mods performance cars. Their Poly products are long wearing and tough. My personal experience with Wayne's mounts involved some trial and error to achieve the desired ride height. After purchasing new springs after install of welsh upper mounts; my ride height was at desired figure. Before trying Wayne's new design, We took a Baseline measurement, then installed the entire kit. Perhaps we were a bit confused and made a bit of assembly error, but ride height was less than our desired. Discussed with Wayne and determined only the upper Metal part ( Metal Clamshell) part had failed on my Welsh mounts. The large O-Ring Dount under it was undamaged after 30K miles. Decided to restore the lower packers along with the plastic incline spacer at bottom of spring, added Wayne's (2)Large poly donuts with his revised Clamshell. The ride height has returned to the desired figure (397mm). This took some computations to obtain the proper amount of upper spacer cushions. First assembly left F.E. a bit low, but with the baseline we knew what we needed so that amount was added and SUCCESS! Originally the Welsh mounts gave us 15 1/2" but it only improved until we added the new springs. Inner tire wear was key to determining need for new springs.

cjd777 (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 01:29 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Based on that feedback, if I'm understanding correctly, I should install new shock mounts then see what the ride height looks like at that point, and if needed correct with either shims or new springs. I'm looking at the front suspension diagrams in the workshop manual and not any detail there as to spacers/shims under the springs.
Wayne, I am going to try to contact you with PM as I have questions about your solution.
Thanks so much everyone.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,700 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickel
"For us with ok/standard roads, it has been a lot more durable. I'd say it is a good part to get "by default", about the same $ as stock, and likely much more durable under normal conditions."

That's an interesting take on this. Is what you are saying that the Welsh parts are good and durable so long as they are not abused? Roads around here are not too bad.

i have no explanation for why my Jaguar upper bushings have lasted so long. Ride height is within specification, and centered / solid appearance suggest they are doing fine despite having over 65,000 miles on them. Most of it under my ownership of 3.5+ years.

The roads here have plenty of potholes, Avoidance is difficult with new ones appearing faster than I can learn where they are.

With the Welch product quality nosediving, and In lieu of the member designed bushings become mass produced, I’m leaning toward using the factory replacement part when it becomes necessary to change them.

Z

Last edited by zray; 08-07-2021 at 07:21 AM.