XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Front shocker spacers

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front shocker spacers

Hi
I have looked through our threads but can't find what Im looking for, sorry if there is.
I have a 2000 XK8 coupe 4.0ltr, The car hides in the garage during the winter months, this year when driving the car I noticed it had developed a creaking noise from the front n/s, I suspected the shocker' once stripped the shocker was nearly seized even when held in a vice it couldn't be pushed in or out. I have ordered new shockers top suspension plate & steel spring supports.
Now here's where I need your help, the spring sits on a white nylon/plastic wedge spacer part number MJA2162BB which is no longer made or available, below this wedge sits two black nylon/plastic spacers which are easy to buy.
I will attach a picture note the white wedge (arrowed yellow). see how it holds the spring in place. My question to you guy's is where can I get a pair of these wedges or do we not fit it anymore maybe just the two black spacers help please.

cheers
Wullie

Attached Thumbnails Front shocker spacers-step3.jpg  
Old 04-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 561 Posts

It shows available in the UK at Jaguar, Daimler, MG, Mini, Triumph, MX5, Morris Minor, Car Parts from David Manners Group of Companies in the UK

However, I would like to know if this is still considered a required part if someone out there knows. They do not seem to be available in the US.

Last edited by Jag#4; 04-27-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jag#4
It shows available in the UK at Jaguar, Daimler, MG, Mini, Triumph, MX5, Morris Minor, Car Parts from David Manners Group of Companies in the UK

However, I would like to know if this is still considered a required part if someone out there knows. They do not seem to be available in the US.
Mike
Thanks for reply looks like Jaguar has dropped us XK8 owners in it again, this part is just not out there to buy, I phoned David Manners but they would just order them from Jaguar who don't make/supply them anymore. I also phoned XJK Garage Services England talked to a mechanic he said that the part needs to be fitted , THANKS JAGUAR.
So where do we XK8 owners go from here, I can buy second hand full assemblys for £40 each and strip them to get the part but what if there worn/broken. Maybe have to get them made up? anybody out there know how to get round this

The Coupe posted a first class post/thread headed=

"New front springs, shocks, mounts, the works"
lots of photos" first class with good pictures, the wedge spacer can be seen clearly but is different from mine The Coupe's is solid nylon with no lugs that locate into the lower side of the spring, my wedge spacer is a cheaper made looking part with locating lugs. Will load pictures of it.

Wullie.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 PM

Pictures of wedge-spacer note the cracks with bit broken off,

Wullie.

Attached Thumbnails Front shocker spacers-2014-04-28-17.45.50.jpg   Front shocker spacers-2014-04-28-17.44.04.jpg   Front shocker spacers-2014-04-28-17.44.49.jpg   Front shocker spacers-2014-04-28-17.43.50.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Wullie,

Thanks for the update. That's not good news as I was trying to avoid taking the old assembly apart to steal pieces. And it sounds like even if I do, the part may be broken.

I bought a pair of spring packers (MJA2162AA?) that Jag implied would be all I needed. They are simply large flat washers, not the wedge that appears should be there. They certainly do not look like the piece in your photo.

Last edited by Jag#4; 05-02-2014 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wullie (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:38 PM

Wullie,

Thanks for the update. That's not good news as I was trying to avoid taking the old assembly apart to steal pieces. And it sounds like even if I do, the part may be broken.

I bought a pair of spring packers (MJA2162AA?) that Jag implied would be all I needed. They are simply large flat metal washers, not the wedge that appears should be there. They certainly do not look like the piece in your photo.
Mike
My car was made July 2000 so your car will probably have the same cheap nastsy wedge, If your doing the job just be very carefull when removing spring from the shocker, my spring support seat was very rusted and swollen with rust, smashing water trap! making it all very tight, think this is what broke mine. I will buy a second hand unit assy £40 from Eurojag spares strip it down just for the wedge packer.
David Marks agreed that all we can do.
Incidentlly my spacers are black nylon/platic material not metal, anyway I have ordered 4 new ones from Jag parts dept', + new spring seats which are steel. I still have the other side to do but I will be extremely carefull. Will let you know how it all goes.

regards

Wullie.

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

I went out and checked my suspension and yes it has the white spacer on the bottom of the coil spring. I found two pictures (see attached) showing the spacer and it is clearly wedge shaped and not flat like the part Jaguar sold me.

The JTIS illustration and assembly instructions mention making sure the coil spring is seated correctly and is up against the raised "stop" on the spacer.

So I guess that means my plans of leaving the old shock assemblies together is wishful thinking, as no one seems to have this part. In fact, it is not even listed in the catalogs of the usual suspects. I will have to hope my old ones are good enough to reuse.

Seems odd that out of the entire front suspension that this is the only part to go obsolete.

Attached Thumbnails Front shocker spacers-jtis-shock-illus..jpg   Front shocker spacers-shock-assembly.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 10:11 AM

The problem in Scotland mike is the amount of salt they scatter on our roads sometimes not needed but the council drivers need to get there overtime Ha! It also rains lots, So this rusts all the suspension components, I would assume your weathers not as bad where you are, you might find when you strip your suspension down your wedged spaces are in good condition. AT least you know what to watch out for & anybody else reading this post, when removing the spring try to keep the wedge attached to the spring yours might just do that anyway.
Let us know how you get on when you do yours, am still waiting on the shock absorbers coming.

Wullie.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

I should get most of my remaining parts today, but still need to wait on a coil spring (they made a mistake and only shipped one; second one will come next week ).

Once I tackle the job I will report in with results.

p.s. why are you and I the only ones on this thread? Surely someone else has run into this issue when replacing their coil springs.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts

I went out and checked my suspension and yes it has the white spacer on the bottom of the coil spring. I found two pictures (see attached) showing the spacer and it is clearly wedge shaped and not flat like the part Jaguar sold me.

A stupid question but are you sure it was not flat from the beginning and compressed down wedgeshaped by years of the spring hitting it?

Old 04-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zecretw
A stupid question but are you sure it was not flat from the beginning and compressed down wedgeshaped by years of the spring hitting it?
Certainly possible. The answer will be revealed when I take it apart. However, it is clearly a different material (plastic, not metal) and not shown in any of the parts catalogs I looked at. It is definitely wedge shaped and doesn't look like that is from fatigue.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:01 PM

zecretw
The part as per pictures are called "wedge-spacer" and is designed to seat the spring, the wedge/taper follows the shape of the spring as the spring coils away it holds the spring in place it also has a stop for the beging of the spring to sit against. Most car springs have some kind of seat to sit in either made from rubber nylon/plastic. So yep not worn to shape that the way there made.

Wullie.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Received 4,326 Likes on 3,736 Posts

try SNG Barratt's they list it as a spring packer and show PN of MJA2162AA

Old 05-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sklimii
try SNG Barratt's they list it as a spring packer and show PN of MJA2162AA
I have that part sitting on my workbench. Bought it from my Jag dealer since I was already there for an oil filter. It is a thin flat piece of plastic, not a wedge.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Received 4,326 Likes on 3,736 Posts

man that sucks!!! Sorry guys! have you tried 707autoparts.com (ph: 7074949999)- they have a few XK8/R being salvaged

Wullie not sure if they will ship to Scotland but may be an option for you.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Thanks Steve
Worth a try, I have bought 4 off the plain black packers two on each side of my xk8. I have cleaned my old broken wedge packer bought special glue stuck it together, then I used a rubberised adhesive to stick the wedge spacer onto one of the black flat spacers, looks good and I think it will work fine. I will let you all know how it goes. I am still waiting on shockers coming mid May I have been told.

Wullie.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it work without the piece

Mine is in tiny little pieces. If I put everything back without the wedge will I have problems? The dealer's parts breakdown doesn't even show it anymore.