XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Fuel Pump 4.2 2003 - 2006 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

[QUOTE=Paul1940;2590911]
Originally Posted by Desertoasis
I bought one. The pump is a cheap smaller version. Wouldn’t even spin when wired into car. Garbage. I did salvage the check valve and float assy from it and got my old pump working correctly. You get what you pay for in this case.[/QUOTE

Strange, I,too, bought one and found it to be a very accurate copy of the original. I installed it in my 2003 XK8 and found that, connected directly to 12v. produced in excess of 70 lbs of pressure at the rail. And keep in mind that you can buy 10 for the price of one Jaguar unit. And once the hole is cut in the package shelf, it takes about 5 minutes to swap out a pump with NO tank removal !

Paul1940
I love the access hole thing...

So, 70lbs aint the right spec,,,, does it come down to the correct 55.3,,, xxx,,, all said and done?

Old 12-02-2022, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

[QUOTE=JayJagJay;2591030]
Originally Posted by Paul1940

So, 70lbs aint the right spec,,,, does it come down to the correct 55.3,,, xxx,,, all said and done?

Well! As I see it, The Pump works (Maybe).............But after spending close to $1,000.00 to replace my last Pump....and after having all the connections soldered to make sure of the connections......Last week the Beautiful XKR decided to let me down again! Of course it was right in the middle of an intersection with all kinds of traffic.................Had to have it hauled over to a Shop that the Wrecker Driver suggested..... The next Day, they called for me to come get the Car as they had it running just fine! It wasn't the Fuel Pump this time as I told them the past History....It was one of the Relays in the down in the Boot! The Relay has a loose Leg (Broken) and would work when positioned correctly, but it had moved a little and broke contact. New Relay $7.50 plus Labor....
It is an XKR again! Running great again......So now I wonder if I ever needed all those Fuel Pumps that I bought? Sometimes you just don't know!

As I think about it.....I would almost bet that the broken Relay has been my problem all along!!! It is just not normal to have (4) Fuel Pump failures in any Car.......Even a Jaguar!!!! So now I have a new place to look if I have this problem again!
NEXT TIME LOOK DOWN BY THE BATTERY WHERE ALL THE RELAYS ARE! CHECK THEM ALL-OUT.....Could save you a lot of Money!!!!

OH! of course, the Porta Rican Dentist won't believe this, as He thinks I don't know what I'm talking about! But sometimes the Dentist is wrong!

I certainly hope this incident helps you Guys and saves you lots of MONEY!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch

The following 2 users liked this post by bcprice36:
kstevusa (12-02-2022), RJ237 (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 08:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=JayJagJay;2591030]

I got the access hole from a dude on YouTube and it seemed to me to be a reasonable alternative to dropping the rear-end assembly to gain access to the fuel line attached to the front bottom of the tank. He was bemoaning the woofer hole directly above the tank in the coupe version of the XK8.

I had no idea what the "normal" fuel rail pressure was supposed to be. The 70 lbs was produced by connecting 12v. directly to the pump. I was able to achieve a more respectable 35 lbs of pressure with my GO-AROUND solution. (See my very recent CRANK / NO START thread in the XK8 / XKR forum.

Paul O. (Paul1940)

Old 12-03-2022, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Billy, Hey Paul...

I hear you Price (Billy)... Relays and fuses, fuse holders and wire connectors... At the age these cars are all of these bits are suspect and should be checked first when there is a problem. That they are original and for the most part still holding up I think is pretty miraculous. There have been a few issues that folks have had (kinda) recently and my strongest suggestions were to check connections and relays... The entire ECU relies on a relay, from what I recall.

Paul, I hope someone will jump in and answer the question about the proper fuel pressure at the rail, and what senses and is in the system to regulate it in the NA XK8 in 2003. I believe it is the same and normal operating pressure should hover and stay at round about 55.3 lbs. It's the sensor at the rail that reports that to the ECU, then the ECU tells the pump control module in the boot how MUCH (via PWM) to run the pump. Those to tiny white wires on the FPCM are the signal wires. They run thru a white connector in directly under your elbow in the middle console and work, I believe, in millivolts.

My pump would NOT run and I dug and dug to find that my malfunction was connected to the inertia switch signal being OFT!

Anyways... Back to NEW HOUSE and LONG LISTS!

The following 2 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
bcprice36 (12-03-2022), Paul1940 (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,387 Likes on 2,866 Posts

New house? Does that mean having to work on your vehicles while parked on the public streets of NYC are over? If so, good for you....

Old 12-03-2022, 09:57 AM
Received 569 Likes on 275 Posts

Fuel pressure at rail running on my 2003 XK8 N/A is 55 #''s. The FPS is Black sensor at right front of Right Rail. The fuel Temp. sensor is at right rear and appears similar to Coolant sensor temp on the Tower. Jay Jay is well versed on the Fuel Pump and its operation due to his trails over the last few years. I still contend a Walbro type fuel pump from a Ford Mustang would be a good substitute in the Jaguar housing, but never had an old defective Jag canister to investigate. The Magic happens due to the PWM. ECM and sensors. Have Safe and Great Holiday Season!

The following users liked this post:
Paul1940 (12-03-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
New house? Does that mean having to work on your vehicles while parked on the public streets of NYC are over? If so, good for you....
Lolololololol,,,, yes! Yes it does... Thanks

Old 12-25-2022, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

JayJagJay!!!

I got my 2000 XKR from a Doctor that lived in New City, NY back in 2003...I flew up there one Morning and Buddy of mine had called a Limousine to pick me up and take me to New City, NY....Just across the Bridge, to the Doctor'sHome..We all had Lunch and processed the Paper-Work.....and.I left about 4 PM for Texas,,,,It was a great trip and it was a great Car! Luckily, I had one of my Texas Personized Plates for the Jag to come Home with! This was my 2nd Coupe, which I had for over a year before the Little Ole" Lady turned across 3 Lanes and Totaled it! I really enjoyed that Car!
Good memories of NYC! Congratulations on the New House! That's Great!

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-26-2022, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bcprice36
JayJagJay!!!

I got my 2000 XKR from a Doctor that lived in New City, NY back in 2003...I flew up there one Morning and Buddy of mine had called a Limousine to pick me up and take me to New City, NY....Just across the Bridge, to the Doctor'sHome..We all had Lunch and processed the Paper-Work.....and.I left about 4 PM for Texas,,,,It was a great trip and it was a great Car! Luckily, I had one of my Texas Personized Plates for the Jag to come Home with! This was my 2nd Coupe, which I had for over a year before the Little Ole" Lady turned across 3 Lanes and Totaled it! I really enjoyed that Car!
Good memories of NYC! Congratulations on the New House! That's Great!

Merry Christmas!

Hahaha, a limo... Ain't NYC like that? Hey Bill!

Great story. NYC story. And a car story all neatly wrapped.

Someday I'll tell the story of how my poor *** ended up on this BOAT, with the owner, smoking the pipe, talk'n cars (jags specifically as he has invested in the jag changes over the years) and doing a lil fishing.

NYC is a crazy town if one makes themselves available,,, for the craZy, lol

Old 12-26-2022, 01:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Chinese pump lauded

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Hey Billy, Hey Paul...

I hear you Price (Billy)... Relays and fuses, fuse holders and wire connectors... At the age these cars are all of these bits are suspect and should be checked first when there is a problem. That they are original and for the most part still holding up I think is pretty miraculous. There have been a few issues that folks have had (kinda) recently and my strongest suggestions were to check connections and relays... The entire ECU relies on a relay, from what I recall.

Paul, I hope someone will jump in and answer the question about the proper fuel pressure at the rail, and what senses and is in the system to regulate it in the NA XK8 in 2003. I believe it is the same and normal operating pressure should hover and stay at round about 55.3 lbs. It's the sensor at the rail that reports that to the ECU, then the ECU tells the pump control module in the boot how MUCH (via PWM) to run the pump. Those to tiny white wires on the FPCM are the signal wires. They run thru a white connector in directly under your elbow in the middle console and work, I believe, in millivolts.

My pump would NOT run and I dug and dug to find that my malfunction was connected to the inertia switch signal being OFT!

Anyways... Back to NEW HOUSE and LONG LISTS!
From reading the many posts, I have concluded that normal pressure should be in the vicinity of 50-55 lbs.

As previously reported, I cut a 12" hole in the package shelf directly above the fuel tank to ease fuel pump replacement. With the hole, fuel pump replacement becomes at worst an hour task. The Chinese pump (Ebay: 1x Electric Fuel Pump Module Assembly for Jaguar XK8 2003 2004 2005 2006 V8 4.2L $60) was an exact exchange with the original in the tank, twisted and connected easily into place and has been fully functional since, producing roughly 52 lbs of pressure. Holding both pumps in my hands, they looked nearly identical, with minor changes primarily with the style of the fuel level potentiometer. The pump housing was well constructed and required piping was well clamped and crimped. My only complaint was that the in-tank harness from the pump to the top-of-tank connector was reversed, causing the pump to run backwards (see Another Crank / No start posting) for an explanation.

Anyone contemplating a fuel pump replacement should consider the Chinese option at $60 vs the Jaguar option at $650+. For the XK8 coupes with the woofer hole in the package shelf, it is a breeze. For the convertibles, take care when cutting the hole above the tank and then it's a breeze.

Old 12-26-2022, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Jay,

One Hell of a nice-looking BOAT! ...Good Luck catching Fish off of that one.....!

Old 12-27-2022, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

From reading the many posts, I have concluded that normal pressure should be in the vicinity of 50-55 lbs.

As previously reported, I cut a 12" hole in the package shelf directly above the fuel tank to ease fuel pump replacement. With the hole, fuel pump replacement becomes at worst an hour task. The Chinese pump (Ebay: 1x Electric Fuel Pump Module Assembly for Jaguar XK8 2003 2004 2005 2006 V8 4.2L $60) was an exact exchange with the original in the tank, twisted and connected easily into place and has been fully functional since, producing roughly 52 lbs of pressure. Holding both pumps in my hands, they looked nearly identical, with minor changes primarily with the style of the fuel level potentiometer. The pump housing was well constructed and required piping was well clamped and crimped. My only complaint was that the in-tank harness from the pump to the top-of-tank connector was reversed, causing the pump to run backwards (see Another Crank / No start posting) for an explanation.

Anyone contemplating a fuel pump replacement should consider the Chinese option at $60 vs the Jaguar option at $650+. For the XK8 coupes with the woofer hole in the package shelf, it is a breeze. For the convertibles, take care when cutting the hole above the tank and then it's a breeze.
Maaaaan, thanks for that report back! I think if a pump can be had for 70$ it's a no brainier AND, if changing the pump can be made a breeze, even if it goes bad after (you insert a timeline) a period, still... I clicked the link and it came up OUT OF STOCK. lol, my Spidey sense is kicking in and maybe they are RETHINKING their price point lol...

Q: Fuel level sender... Is that giving an accurate read?

Old 12-27-2022, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Jay,

One Hell of a nice-looking BOAT! ...Good Luck catching Fish off of that one.....!

Yeah Man. Google that BOAT. I was soooo distracted by the THING, fishing was an after thought. The fishing part was kinda just like people acting like WE had something to do. craZy experience... He's my ladies boss...

NYC! Mind-blowing, occasionally.