XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Fuel pump confusion

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump confusion

2001 XK8 with 65K miles. Pulled in for gas and turned off the engine. Restarting, it would crank and rumble but not fire up. No warnings, no restricted performance alert, nothing. Had it towed. My regular mechanic says it is a fuel pump issue, but that the problem is electrical and not the mechanical part. He also says I should replace the linkage.

Can anyone tell me more? I haven't spoken yet to the mechanic; just the front office giving me a $800-plus quote for the component and labor. Said the tank must be removed to do the job, and that alone will take 4 hours.

Does this sound right? What is the related electrical component they are likely talking about, and what linkage is involved?

I trust these guys, but still I'd like to know what others think.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwann
2001 XK8 with 65K miles. Pulled in for gas and turned off the engine. Restarting, it would crank and rumble but not fire up. No warnings, no restricted performance alert, nothing. Had it towed. My regular mechanic says it is a fuel pump issue, but that the problem is electrical and not the mechanical part. He also says I should replace the linkage.

Can anyone tell me more? I haven't spoken yet to the mechanic; just the front office giving me a $800-plus quote for the component and labor. Said the tank must be removed to do the job, and that alone will take 4 hours.

Does this sound right? What is the related electrical component they are likely talking about, and what linkage is involved?

I had my 2001 XK-8 towed into the shop last week for the same problem. My cost was $800, the same for the fuel pump, which was indeed dead. I had changed out the fuel filter that is under the car myself, cost $15 at NAPA.

Also had a coolant leak which turned out to be a deterioration of the plastic parts at the thermostat location, plus hoses that run under the intake manifold. Cost another $800. They replace all the plastic stuff with metal replacement parts. Its a weak spot on the XK models I am told.

So your cost sounds about right. I am assuming that is not a dealer you are talking to. The dealer would probably charge 2K or more for the fuel pump work alone.

Last edited by JagXK82001; 12-16-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JagXK82001
I had my 2001 XK-8 towed into the shop last week for the same problem. My cost was $800, the same for the fuel pump, which was indeed dead. I had changed out the fuel filter that is under the car myself, cost $15 at NAPA.

Also had a coolant leak which turned out to be a deterioration of the plastic parts at the thermostat location, plus hoses that run under the intake manifold. Cost another $800. They replace all the plastic stuff with metal replacement parts. Its a weak spot on the XK models I am told.

So your cost sounds about right. I am assuming that is not a dealer you are talking to. The dealer would probably charge 2K or more for the fuel pump work alone.
Same thing happened to me just 2 days ago. I was at the mall and tried to start the car and it sputtered for a bit like it wanted to start and then died. Had to have it towed to the local Jag dealer and they quoted me $1,700 which included the link lead, boot, fuel pump, etc... I called my local mechanic who then quoted me $800 but the problem was the cost to get it towed plus the diagnoses fee the dealer was going to charge. I called the dealer back and explained what I was quoted and how I was going to tow it to the other place and they reduced they quote to $1,200... I did the math and decided to let them do the repair.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:52 PM

Yep the dealer is usually double our other local job shop that works on Jags. Back in 2007 the Jag dealer was $110 per hour and they find plenty of hours to pay the overhead.

The dealer does good work, so I can't knock them, but the pricing is set for folks that walk in a pay cash for these cars new. The upercrust of society.

Me I am retired and can no longer aford to pay them the huge markup. Wish I could. I would have a new XK in my driveway this week.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

If you want to know what's involved in replacing your fuel pump, just watch the video below. It's a DIY job, it's just a pain in the ***. If I wasn't so cheap I would have paid to have it done. If money is no object then $800 sounds reasonable at a Jag dealer. I'm sure you can get an independent shop to do it much cheaper.

There's a slight difference between your car and mine. Mine only has a single fuel line to disconnect under the car. Yours has two, a supply line and a return line. They are side by side above the differential, so take that into consideration when deciding whether to do it yourself or have someone else do it.

Jaguar XK8 Fuel Pump Replacement - YouTube

Old 12-16-2011, 04:10 PM

The dealer also quoted me $461 to fix a small oil leak on my left cam cover. I called my local mechanic and he said that he could do it for $175 or both for $350... I scheduled an appoint with him for Monday.
I agree that they know what they're doing at the dealer. The guy who worked on my car has 13 yrs experience but boy are they expensive.
BTW - I looked at the new XK while I was there and WOW!!! They are sweet!

Old 12-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

The new ones have lots of bells and whistle, and they are definitely better performers, but yours is prettier.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump costs

I bought a reasonably new XKR only 13K miles. But in the first week I had a burned out fuel pump. I didn't take it to the dealer, but it did still cost me $1500. Then 6 months later it burned up again. The mechanic agreed to replace it under warranty and this time i made sure they found out the cause. It tuned out to be a short in the wiring harness around the rear seats. The wire casing was scraped away in a spot which was shorting and causing the problems with the pump. All's well now but it was frustrating for both myself an my mechanic.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:54 AM

Video was most helpful -- and well done. I now have a great appreciation for what my mechanic will have to go through to do this job. Me, I'm too up in years to tackle a job like this. By the way, Sam, are you wearing a Rolex while working on the car? Damned good way to scratch it up.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:54 PM

Interesting how many people have had the fuel pump problem. Post makes me feel that I made the right choice to let my independent Jag shop do the job and at their price rather than visit the dealer. Happy so far.

Had I had a nice warm garage to prop up the car or a lift i might have attempted to do the job myself. The video was great, showed that this is not exactly a job for someone without the correct tools and some advanced mechanical skill.

Great forum and lots of talent posting here. Thanks to all.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Video was most helpful -- and well done. I now have a great appreciation for what my mechanic will have to go through to do this job. Me, I'm too up in years to tackle a job like this. By the way, Sam, are you wearing a Rolex while working on the car? Damned good way to scratch it up.
It was a present to myself a couple of years ago before I had some surgery. I own about 25 watches, but most of them I bought used. This one is one of the few that I bought new at a jeweler. I'd been lusting after it, and I figured if I was going to die, I was going to own that watch first. Fortunately I survived the surgery, and as a bonus I got a watch that my wife couldn't give me a hard time about.

The watch is bulletproof. It weighs almost half a pound. The crystal is made of synthetic sapphire, which is also called corundum. It has a Mohs hardness of 9+. About the only thing that can scratch it is diamond, silicon carbide, tungsten carbide, and a few other rare things. The bezel is made of some sort of super-hard ceramic. The case is made of stainless steel, and if I scratch it I can always have the scratch polished out. I've accidentally banged it up against brick walls and the only damage was to the wall. Everything on the watch is harder than everything on my car, so in a watch vs. car battle, the watch is going to win.

And as much as I love the car, if I had to give up one or the other, I'd give up the car.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I recently also had the no start problem, and the car was fortunately at home. I hooked up my Fuel Pressure Gauges ($19 from Harbor Freight) to the fuel rail at the back right of the engine. No pressure was indicated.

I ordered the AIRTEX E2471 fuel pump ($72) , strainer sock and a $8 fuel filter @ RockAuto.com--and received the parts very promptly. The fuel pump is nothing exotic--same one Ford used on Taurus and some Mazda's.

I put the car up on blocks, and I attempted to disconnect the tank connections. But, my fingers are not 8" long. I couldn't move around enough to get a long skinny screwdriver on the quick attach fuel injection type connections.

Called my local mechanic who picked up the car on his rollback ($65.) They work on Jags all the time, and charged the normal 2.7 base rate hours @ $50, or $135, to pull the tank and replace the pump. He has pulled Jag tanks before, and changing the fuel pump was relatively easy on his lift.

It's a $300 job in our area. Please remember that many service repairs on Jaguars (like brakes) are simple, normal jobs--within the capabilities of normal wrench pullers. There again, some jobs (ABS lights, driveabilty problems) take a dedicated, experienced Jaguar mechanic. It's almost like you need two sets of mechanics to maintain these cars--if you're unwilling to do the work yourself. There again, I'm fortunate to have found a good, independent service shop with Jaguar experience.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:52 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Excuse thread drift...
Sam, I'd be more worried about scratching the car with the watch rather than scratching the watch with the car !

Old 12-19-2011, 04:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

HI Sam I used to sell expensive watches till I retired.I think If it was me I would take it off you could easily get the bracelet caught and twisted.Cost you the price of Four Jag tires to replace! Keep it insured.
Al

Old 12-19-2011, 07:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,857 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Sam,

I've had my Rolex for over thirty years and now it's looking better than I do.

Fuel pump confusion-22-rolex-oyster-perpetual.jpg

I asked about the guarantee when I bought it and the salesman replied 'It'll stop two days after you do, Sir'

So far I haven't been near testing that theory!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts
Default watches and jag mechanics dont mix

Just got a Cartier Roadster from eBay 18k gold strap and watch worth twice what my 2001 XKR is so no way is that allowed in the garage.

Next week going to dig out the driver side engine mount without the help of my Roadster LOL!!!

I also lost a watch 10yrs ago took it of and left it under the bonnet(hood) never to be seen again!!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Simonnallen

My dad always said if you take your watch off put in your pocket.Enjoy that new Cartier!

Al

Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

In these model years, there were problems with in-tank link harnesses burning up, your mechanic may be right. You have to pull the tank to check it though. This problem was more common on the X300 but they use the same parts.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

I haven't worn a watch since I left teaching 12 years ago - anyone who's ever been in education will understand why. It was a Casio. I don't actually know why I've written this thread. Is it possible to be more off topic than talking about Casio in a Jaguar forum?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The symptoms and diagnosis of my car was the same as yours. Had the fuel pump, filter etc replaced a couple of weeks ago and posted the cost breakdown on this site. At my local shop that does work on Jags - it came to about $1000 so your quote sounds good.