XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump replacement thru the subwoofer!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel pump replacement thru the subwoofer!!

Hello all

Well, thanks to Gus's diagnostic help I pulled my two fuel pumps today. I found a mickey mouse way to get them out without disconnecting the lower hoses or pulling the tank. I pulled the trunk carpet, loosened the two tank straps and removed the subwoofer from inside the vehicle. I very gently pulled the tank backwards about 1-2inches. There was very little resistance and as soon as it got tight I stopped. Then disconnected the upper hoses, removed the retaining ring, upper tank unit and pulled the pumps from inside the car. It was a little cumbersome squeezing my fat head between the rear glass and the hole but it was easy and took about an hour. Most importantly I never had to crawl under the car and struggle with the lower hoses.

Does anyone know whats up with the wiring harness in the trunk? I hear I need to replace it but dont know why. Plus my XKR has a short wire from power to one pump and a longer wire from power to the pump to the level sending unit. Do I need to buy them both or do they all come together as a unit?

Any suggestions where to buy OEM pumps, filters and the wiring harness (if needed)?? My local dealer wants $850 for parts!

Oh yeah, someone please tell me how 2 fuel pumps go out on a car with 31k miles!!!???
Thanks in advance
Jed

The following 5 users liked this post by JedinDetroit:
EZDriver (09-09-2012), jazzyjags (05-22-2020), jimangle (08-12-2018), loveatfirstsight (04-23-2014), test point (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

That was a wonderful, creative way to replace the pumps.

I would be interested in comments from those among us that do this for a living. Removing from under the car may be preferable for those that have a lift but this sounds like the perfect solution for us jack stand flat floor folks.

You did take pictures, didn't you?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Jed
I just replaced both my pumps, I have a convertible, so there's no pulling from the back shelf. I don't know of any wiring harness that has to be replaced. I bought two Bosch pumps German made, not Jaguar, on E-Bay for $79.00 apiece. More than likely only your main pump is out. Did you check your relays? I replaced both just because of the hassle. they came with filters slightly different than the original. The car, seems to be running better than before I believe the old pump was going out slowly. I don't know why one would go out at 31K.
Test Point You wouldn't be able to do it on a convertible.

Last edited by RCSign; 03-27-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 PM

RCS

Thanks! What a great forum. I cant beliee how active it is and the wealth of information available!

Yes, I checked my relays. I also jumped them without any sound from the fuel tank. I also has no pressure at the fuel rail. I was real nervous about pulling the pumps because I just cant figure how both pumps go bad but the more I read it seems that the high speed pump may have gone bad some time ago and the primary just went out now crippling the car. Anyway I put power to both pumps after I took them out and neither one will so much as click, hum, purr...nothing! Ive got to assume at this point they are dead. Right?

I am hoping my car will fly again when I replace both pumps as I have probably been driving around on one pump for a while. I can remember several times lately that i got on the gas a little bit and the car left me wanting for more. I actually looked down to the j gate to be sure the sport button was pushed and it was....In retrospect I think I was noticing the high speed pump not kicking in.

Anyway, were you able to match the Bosch pump to the oem in terms of flow or volume or however fuel pumps are rated???

I will take some pics and post them as soon as I figure out how.

jed

Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 PM

Ok, you asked for it...Fuel pump replacement thru the subwoofer!!-photo0.jpg

Fuel pump replacement thru the subwoofer!!-photo1.jpg

Fuel pump replacement thru the subwoofer!!-photo3.jpg

Fuel pump replacement thru the subwoofer!!-photo4.jpg

The following 4 users liked this post by JedinDetroit:
Bob OB (08-19-2014), H20boy (03-28-2012), Orthodixie (03-07-2018), stetson1 (05-20-2019)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

These pumps are the same on many models including a lot of Fords They'll have a list of about 200 cars they'll fit I noticed my car seems to perform better. I don't know about testing them dry somebody told me they need to be in the fuel to work. I never tested mine just replaced them. I also read that the car will run with only the main pump. If the main pump goes out it will not run. The secondary is used on start up and heavy acceleration. I'm not absolutely sure about this information but I think I read on this forum. You'll see a lot of the members who replaced their pumps went with after market and without any lack of performance.
Good Luck

Old 03-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by RCSign
Jed
I just replaced both my pumps, I have a convertible, so there's no pulling from the back shelf.
Test Point You wouldn't be able to do it on a convertible.
I'd think thatwith basically nothing there except space for the top to fold into there would be less obstruction making the job easier. Has anyone actually looked to see if there's an access port?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Scott
On the convertible there is no speaker hole there is three slots toward the rear edge of the trunk. not big enough to take anything through. Apparently the coupe has a rear shelf with speaker holes.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 AM

Scott
On the convertible there is no speaker hole there is three slots toward the rear edge of the trunk. not big enough to take anything through. Apparently the coupe has a rear shelf with speaker holes.
You could make a hole. Might be more work than dropping the tank, however. It all depends on clearance and accessibility. It's too bad car companies don't think of this stuff.

The following users liked this post:
zray (08-12-2018)
Old 03-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Spurlee
You could make a hole. Might be more work than dropping the tank, however. It all depends on clearance and accessibility. It's too bad car companies don't think of this stuff.
Don't think that this hasn't been done before. I have a Lincoln Mark VIII and a member of the Mark VIII Forum posted this:

The Mark VIII Forum - Viewing topic #75580 - Top-side Access Hatch for Fuel Pumps

EZDriver (09-09-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
Don't think that this hasn't been done before. I have a Lincoln Mark VIII and a member of the Mark VIII Forum posted this:

The Mark VIII Forum - Viewing topic #75580 - Top-side Access Hatch for Fuel Pumps
Paul, that link is hilarious, just what I was thinking. When my time comes I just might do it that way.

Thanks

Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Received 33 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to Jedin, I use the similar procedure to repair my XKR 2000 couple. But I am not repairing the fuel pump, I repair the fuel sender unit this time, it did not give me the correct readings. The guage showed empty suddenly even if it is still half full.

I did not move the fuel tank like Jedin did as I want to see if the space is enough for the small sender device. Please see below pictures with descriptions.

Note: Before the job start, best disconnect the battery terminals to avoid any possible sparking and do not smoke. Gasoline is highly flammable. This is my first time to open a fuel tank and I used 2 hours for the job. I think I can do the same in future to repair the fuel pump if I need to. They are still working well.

Below picture is looking from the sub-woofer hole.

Jobs done. The fuel guage come back to work correctly and I do not need to guess the fuel level during my trip.

The following 7 users liked this post by toyman:
EZDriver (09-09-2012), Jaguilar (04-23-2014), plums (09-07-2012), RDMinor (04-14-2016), stetson1 (10-08-2014), The Coupe (09-18-2013), toddwood (02-19-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

One small tip for jobs like this is to use a small hand mirror as a viewing aid. It is also possible to aim a flashlight at the mirror at the same time in such a way as to direct the beam to light up the area being viewed. Science class: angle of incidence and angle of reflection.

After a little practice it becomes quite natural.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Jed
I just replaced both my pumps, I have a convertible, so there's no pulling from the back shelf. I don't know of any wiring harness that has to be replaced. I bought two Bosch pumps German made, not Jaguar, on E-Bay for $79.00 apiece.
2001 XKR 55K miles
Are these the fuel pumps you used? and did you change the wiring harness?

NEW PREMIUM QUALITY BOSCH Fuel Pump | eBay

Can someone post the link re as to how to test the replays and pumps. I suspect one of mine may be on the frits.

Thanks
Simon

Old 09-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Simon
They sure are, but about $10.00 cheaper than when I bought them. With the wiring harness I just used a automotive plastic electrical connector that slips over the existing wire and has a hole for the additional pump wires, available at any auto parts store. The harness is basically undisturbed except for a small slice in the wiring cover.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Jed! That was a brilliant Idea!

I wish I had tried that a year ago, considering what a huge pain in the butt removing the tank to get to the fuel pump was on my 2003 XKR coupe. Your idea may have saved many hours for me.

One possibly big difference, though is that the 2003 and later cars have a single hi-flow pump mounted inside a "swirl-pot" assembly. This assembly is kind of big so I'm not certain a person could have wriggled it out of the tank and through the speaker hole - but if I have to do a fuel pump replacement again, I guarantee I will try your idea first!

Thanks for the idea, procedure and pictures!

Cheers!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by toyman
Thanks to Jedin, I use the similar procedure to repair my XKR 2000 couple. But I am not repairing the fuel pump, I repair the fuel sender unit this time, it did not give me the correct readings. The guage showed empty suddenly even if it is still half full.

I did not move the fuel tank like Jedin did as I want to see if the space is enough for the small sender device. Please see below pictures with descriptions.
toyman: My (early build) 2000 XKR Coupe has the Level Sending Unit on the Rear Side of the Fuel Tank.

It is Very Easily accessible just by removing the rear insulating pad in the front of the Trunk (Boot).

Apparently there was some variation or change in the 2000 Model Year Coupes.

Denton (06-09-2013)
Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Fuel Pump replacement Jaguar xkr 2001

OK I had few is issues with the way my car was running mainly taking 3-5sec to start after being left for a day & I did get some codes thrown re MAF voltage High/Low/ Out of range. After changing the MAF I still got out of range errors, checked inlet to throttle body not leaks e.t.c. Also on three occasions car just stalled when hot and would not start until cool. No errors thrown. Also ECM did not fully cycle i.e never get the P1111 code.

I suspected that my secondary fuel pump died so I pulled the main relay and sure enough when ignition was turned on the secondary relay clicked but fuel pump did not buzz.

I have a coupe so I removed the sub woofer extracted the pumps and sure enough main works secondary dead. I bought the Bosch pumps well I have one, waiting for second.

Lets see if this fixes the problem as I'm half way through this and still have it all in bits do you guys need anymore photos of this procedure ?

Hard bits so far:
1/ Removing the 3 vent pipes at the top of the tank!! WD 40 helps here and a small screw driver to loosen. Remove the ring first to allow you to remove the pipes and elec connectors.
2/ Undoing the elec connectors. Use a very small screw driver to push in the tabs at the same time pull. They all have a slit in the male end for the screw driver.
3/ Top and bottom of the old pump is a rubber seat that needs altering, bottom easy, top you need to cut the inside lip with a razor blade.
4/ When you disconnect pipes/speaker take the clips, jubilee clips off at the same time dont leave anything near the tank opening i.e. you dont want suff falling in there.
5/ Remember to disconnect the battery
6/ Use a nylon tie to tie all the cables to the main pump outlet pipe just under the connector. This will help keep the 6 wire inside the tank from floating around in there.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question as to which model number Bosch pump you used

I followed one of the links from earlier above in this thread, for appropriate Bosch fuel pump replacement... but it led to many many choices on E-bay... and now maybe not the same one you used awhiel ago. Can you please tell me which Bosch model number etc pump used bought for your XK8, and how it all worked out? Like esp did it have enough capacity to keep up with the engine demand under load, if it all fit well, and is still working ok?

Thanks! I am going thru that right now on my 1999 NA XK8.

DoubleCat (Chuck P)
1966 E-Type Roadster
1999 XK8 NA 4.0 53k miles

Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

I guarantee this thread title is the first in existence anywhere. And probably will be forever more.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump replacement thru the subwoofer!!