XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump replacement thru the subwoofer!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

DoubleCat

If I remember correctly I bit the bullet and bought my pumps from my local dealer. I was unsure what I was going to get with an aftermarket pump or an ebay special and I didnt want to change these pumps again.

The dealer matched the best internet price I found for the OEM parts which was nice.

FWIW, I did an autopsy on both pumps and they were basicaly seized/corroded. I am guessing because I dont drive the car that much (considering selling it) and because here in Michigan it sits all winter long in storage the corrosion accelerated. Also, now I only store all my cars with the gas tanks full to minimize internal corrosion.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As written by Dblcat
I followed one of the links from earlier above in this thread, for appropriate Bosch fuel pump replacement... but it led to many many choices on E-bay... and now maybe not the same one you used awhiel ago. Can you please tell me which Bosch model number etc pump used bought for your XK8, and how it all worked out? Like esp did it have enough capacity to keep up with the engine demand under load, if it all fit well, and is still working ok?
I've had the Bosch pumps since March 2012 and have had no problems the car performs just the same They met the Jag specs. Just look at the pumps offered and they'll tell you if it's compatible.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

thats how i replaced the pump 3 years ago on my 99 coupe.pump went out 90 miles from home[thank goodness for AAA].after looking under the car for a few days @ checking the forum as to how to remove the tank,i was just dumbfounded as to the procedure and decided to go through the top[subwofer]...steve.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Well I completed this task through the subwoofer hole this past weekend. I must say most of the task went well accept for the fine machine screw that holds the pump and baffle in place. This was a pain in the *** to put back in with the new pump to say the least. There is not much room to work between the rear glass and interior and the pump screw whole position results in your extension and socket being on an angle that complicates it even further to align everything. Regardless, its done. I used a pump from SNG

Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Coupe owners would love this!!Nice Find!!

I will admit, I have cut holes then used electric metal shears to make access holes to a lot of stuff.

And never looked back

Old 04-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

JedinDetroit- I just wanted to comment about your fuel pumps cutting out at 35k. I was told that the pumps in my 01 XKR went at about 25k. The dealer blamed it on the car sitting for long periods of time. In the prior two years I only think it was driven a few hundred miles.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Big thanks 1000 times!!!

I just completed the fuel pump in my car, thanks to this thread. hardest part of revs video was disconnecting the fuel line in the back thankfully going through the subwoofer I didn't have to disconnect the fuel line. The big obstacle for me was remounting the pump inside the tank. Didn't mind the buzz from gas fumes .....kidding!

If only my local dealer didn't want $1300 for the 2003 xkr pump. I found it at Terry's Jag parts in MI. (Another big thanks) for $750. Though once landed in Canada it was $1000.

The following users liked this post:
zray (08-12-2018)
Old 07-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Just finished this on my 2000 Coupe. Actually did most of the work from back in the trunk but removing the speaker puts a lot more light in there and helpful for seeing the pump screw and clearance when moving stuff around. I barely moved the tank, maybe 1/2 inch back.

Had not considered leaving the 3 hoses attached- that would have made the whole job easier as old fuel hoses are never fun to detach. I'm used to the type of pump that's attached to the assembly at the top of the tank. No reaching inside tank.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello all, been a while since I posted anything, but wanted to give some praise to this forum. Years ago I had both fuel pumps and harnesses replaced at a jag dealer at 87k miles. At 181k miles the main pump faulted after being parked from a hot 50 mile interstate drive. Using the information from this website, I performed the relay swap and was able to drive the car home using the secondary pump around 50 miles. Replaced the primary fuel pump and harness (harness was bad) myself through the subwoofer hole. Other than having to drill out one of the tank strap bolts, the job was pretty simple. Just wanted to give a shout out to the op and this forum. After the dealer replaced the pumps (I thought they did a lousy job btw. Months after they replaced the pumps the Fuel lines disconnected from the tank causing the engine to shutoff while getting on to the interstate fuel gauge acted strangely) I always wondered if the pumps could be accessed through the subwoofer whole, glad the op explored this idea as it is a heck of a money saver. Also, I developed a fuel starvation issue at around 3-4k rpm. That was rectified by replacing the fuel filter, which I think was the original filter.

Jim
2000 Jaguar XKR 181,500 miles

toaster (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

I can vouch for electric fuel pumps failing due to sitting for long periods.

I had a 1998 Mustang Saleen I purchased in 2010 with 12k miles on it and the previous owner told me he replaced the pump. I only put 6k miles on the car before selling it car in 2017 and had to replace the pump two more times.

I did the last one myself and the one I was replacing (#2) was a genuine Ford part that only lasted about two years. I didn't notice any corrosion or anything physically wrong with it. They just stop working when sitting for long periods of time.

BTW... I always started my car every week or so to avoid problems but, guess it wasn't good enough for the fuel pumps.

Cheers!

Andrew

Old 05-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good option! I just replaced both fuel pumps on my XKR1999 through the subwoofer hole. I did not need to move the tank at all.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 XKR Convertible

Hi, the 2010 XKR convertible has a access hole under the back seat. Two questions: can I easily lower the tank a little to better access the flange mount and how does the fuel pump assembly seat into the tank. Are there clips that hold it the lower assembly in place. Thanks for your help.
Randall Carlson

Old 05-22-2020, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,809 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Randy, wrong forum. This is 1996 to 2006 X100s.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Received 33 Likes on 7 Posts

Reload pictures again. It help to tell how to open the tank cover.

Originally Posted by toyman
Thanks to Jedin, I use the similar procedure to repair my XKR 2000 couple. But I am not repairing the fuel pump, I repair the fuel sender unit this time, it did not give me the correct readings. The guage showed empty suddenly even if it is still half full.

I did not move the fuel tank like Jedin did as I want to see if the space is enough for the small sender device. Please see below pictures with descriptions.

Note: Before the job start, best disconnect the battery terminals to avoid any possible sparking and do not smoke. Gasoline is highly flammable. This is my first time to open a fuel tank and I used 2 hours for the job. I think I can do the same in future to repair the fuel pump if I need to. They are still working well.

Below picture is looking from the sub-woofer hole.

Jobs done. The fuel gauge come back to work correctly and I do not need to guess the fuel level during my trip.

cjd777 (05-24-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 08:29 AM
Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

On my 2000 coupe, the sender is easily accessed on back of the fuel tank. Is this is a difference between the duel and single pump cars?

Also, if the sender is not working, you can use the 'fuel consumed' option in the dash display in a pinch. It can read as much a gallon lower than actual consumption on my car ymmv

​​​​​​

Old 05-25-2020, 09:29 AM
Received 33 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ophitoxaemia
On my 2000 coupe, the sender is easily accessed on back of the fuel tank. Is this is a difference between the duel and single pump cars?

Also, if the sender is not working, you can use the 'fuel consumed' option in the dash display in a pinch. It can read as much a gallon lower than actual consumption on my car ymmv

​​​​​​
Hi Ophitoxaemia, It is correct that there are 2 different fuel tanks, one can be accessed from rear side of the tank, another type must from the top opening, like my couple.