XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Cockpit Tonneau Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

rather than snaps, you could use a plastic strip or strategically placed clips on the underside of the cover that would slide under the window trim along the door edges

Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

"Form follows function" Mies van der Rohe.

Living in the sun of the southwest and on my boat I know that vinyl will not stand up to the test of time. I think the tops of our cars are a fabric for the point that they stand up to the weather and abuse. On our boats here in San Diego we use a 'Sunbrella' fabric for all exterior canvas. It lasts for years, is fade resistant and is for the most part 'water proof'. I think the boot cover that Vic at the Topsonline.com makes is from a Sunbrella fabric or the same fabric as our tops. I don't want to spend any money on a material that won't stand up. I for one intend to put this tonneau on and most likely, never put my top up again...but then I do live in Sun Diego.

Last edited by Padrino; 03-24-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hare
Even sweeter imho tied down on a rack on top of the boot.
I have a rack from my old E-type in storage. I wonder what it might look like on the boot of this car?! Anyone seen one? Is this pushing the 'wanna be an XKE' a bit? But sure does sound nice. I really used the ones on my old Porsche's, TR4, TR6 and E-type.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Hey Steve,
You took the thoughts right out of my mouth or head or whatever. I was already thinking about using some sew glides that we sew to industrial drapes that glide along a metal channel of a commercial drapery rod. But I have some other ideas as well, soft magnets, hidden velcro tabs etc., just no time for a couple of weeks.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 PM

I've chatted with Vic (topsonline.com) on this topic of creating a full cockpit tonneau cover. He's very familar with them from other cars. He made a few points. 1.)attachment points need to be strong. Velcro won't due as in the heat, weather and wear it breaks down, 2.) the material should be the same as the convertible's top material, not vinyl as that can't take the wind loads and the sun will deteriorate it.

He asked if anyone has photos of what the stucture is under the dash. I put this out to everyone, anyone have photo of what's under that leather dash cover along the windshield edge? Anyone know from having taken a dash apart what structure or metal is under there? Vic is thinking these need to be mechanical fasteners to hold the windload as he would use the example of the other cars that have this full cockpit cover and said they're all mechanical fastened and are proven, we don't want to risk something else.

Photos anyone?

Last edited by Padrino; 03-25-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,799 Likes on 2,236 Posts

No help with dash structure, but I think sunbrella and the same fasteners used on the existing cover is the best way.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM

just tossing out ideas/random thoughts but why not tap into the defrost vents along the front of the dash?? something similar to a molly or toggle bolt that could be inserted into the defrost vent and tightened to keep it in place, then the cover attached to the bolt - the bolt could be modified at the surface with a hook or snap - similar to those used on football helmets - then snaps affixed to the front seam of the cover.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Padrino
I have a rack from my old E-type in storage. I wonder what it might look like on the boot of this car?! Anyone seen one? Is this pushing the 'wanna be an XKE' a bit? But sure does sound nice. I really used the ones on my old Porsche's, TR4, TR6 and E-type.
I'd be interested in seeing a picture of that...

Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
just tossing out ideas/random thoughts but why not tap into the defrost vents along the front of the dash?? something similar to a molly or toggle bolt that could be inserted into the defrost vent and tightened to keep it in place, then the cover attached to the bolt - the bolt could be modified at the surface with a hook or snap - similar to those used on football helmets - then snaps affixed to the front seam of the cover.
As Vic of topsonline.com has experience with doing full tonneau's he said you have to tap into the metal frame under all the plastic for the canvas to hold in the wind pressure created while driving. Nice idea but we gotta find metal...without wires behind it. Pictures taken from ebay of a dash assembly attached (I hope).

Attached Thumbnails Full Cockpit Tonneau Cover?-jag-xk8-dash-assembly1.jpg   Full Cockpit Tonneau Cover?-jag-xk8-dash-assembly3.jpg   Full Cockpit Tonneau Cover?-jag-xk8-dash-assembly5.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM

I bit the bullet and bought one of these dash structures from Ebay and having it delivered to Vic at topsonline.com so he can use it in his pattern making exercise. I really want a full tonneau as having had them before they are useful. I figured we might as well get it right the first time. Let's see what he comes up with AND for how much.

Attached Thumbnails Full Cockpit Tonneau Cover?-jag-xk8-dash-assembly4.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Padrino:
floridabrian (03-26-2013), Jeff in Tucson (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

I look forward to seeing what Vic's comes up with, however, there is no great need to "anchor" into metal of the dash as there is no wind pressure directly behind the windshield. And anyway that could be addressed much more efficiently than having to put a grommet into the dash in order to hook around some metal. As for the canvas or Sunbrella versus vinyl discussion, somehow my convertible cover has managed to stay in nearly perfect condition on my car and on most cars I've seen for at least 11 years since my car was manufactured. If I get 11 years out of a tonneau of vinyl, I'll be more than satisfied. I prefer the look of the "leatherette" matching the interior to the other choices. In the next couple of weeks, I'll start formulating a prototype, and we'll see what develops.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:30 PM

Doesn't hurt to approach this idea from 2 positions as one or the other might not work so always good to have a fall back or better yet, another choice. The dash structure will be sitting at topsonline.com's shop for anyone that wants to take a look.

Last edited by Padrino; 03-26-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 683 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
As for the canvas or Sunbrella versus vinyl discussion...
FWIW, the Mazda covers for the Miata are available in vinyl (cheaper) and "sun-fast cloth (more expensive - canvas?). Leads one to believe the cloth/canvas would be longer lasting. However, it would be nice to have it use the same material as the boot cover does now to match the interior better.

Eager to see how this comes out from the various options being pursued.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 683 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
...there is no great need to "anchor" into metal of the dash as there is no wind pressure directly behind the windshield. And anyway that could be addressed much more efficiently than having to put a grommet into the dash in order to hook around some metal.
Looking at the Miata solution, there were holes in the back of the dash by the windshield where hooks on the cover went in. If the cover was not in place, plugs filled the holes. This approach minimizes damage to the dash.

Or maybe just a simple "S" hook to clip the dash edge and go into grommets in the cover? No damage to dash at all and doesn't need to take much tension since, as you pointed out, there is no wind pressure at the junction of the dash and windshield.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM

I like the hole plugs idea. BTW it isn't the wind pressure at the backside of the windshield, it's the whole 1/2 of the still attached tonneau acting as a sail catching all the wind coming over that windshield that is the structural problem with the frontal attachment.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts
Cool

OK, I am going to be contrarian, and also do a shameless plug, so please do not take offense

I get the nostalgia element, but the original tonneu covers were really a solution to the unwieldy tops of yesteryear.

With a power top, particularly with the convenience and coolness of the available and proven remote top controller (Convertible Top Remote Control - TheJagWrangler), why make permanent modifications to your vehicle and go to all this trouble ?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
OK, I am going to be contrarian, and also do a shameless plug, so please do not take offense

I get the nostalgia element, but the original tonneu covers were really a solution to the unwieldy tops of yesteryear.

With a power top, particularly with the convenience and coolness of the available and proven remote top controller (Convertible Top Remote Control - TheJagWrangler), why make permanent modifications to your vehicle and go to all this trouble ?
I want one as I'm in and out of my car 10x a day and why risk busting the %$@@$ $$$$$$ top motor or lines or something else. Living in Sun Diego, the top shouldn't be up a whole lot anyway but I want something to keep the leaves, bird poop and prying eyes out of the inside of my car. So, why not.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM

I like the idea of both your remote top option as well as the full tonneau cover and honestly believe that the cover can be done without mods to the vehicle using existing boot fasteners, a thin clip on the tonneau that fits under the window trim and heater/defrost vents. From my perspective, my top stays down 90% of the time - only goes up in the rain or extreme cold. With the pollen so thick here, the full tonneau would limit the amount getting on/in interior and electronics when parked at work, dining, etc.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

In a cursory look while driving home today, I came to the conclusion that a) I don't think the tonneau would have to cover the dash. I think that if it were able to be anchored just under the lip of the dash where the walnut panels meet the bottom of the dash, it would look nicer and be easier to put on and off. And b) I would definitely want the cover made of the same material (vinyl) as the boot cover, in my case black. I will probably put a thin later of either foam or poly batting and then a lining to give the tonneau some body, and gussets for the two seats, and the steering wheel. It seems to me that you could position like half of a small hinge with the pin removed behind the walnut with just the slot protruding between the top of the wood and the bottom of the dash, hidden by the dash, and then a pin that is attached to the cover would plug into a series of these. On the sides, I am certain I can get a sew-on glide that would slip between the window rubber and hold the sides firmly in place. As I get some more time, I'll start experimenting.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 AM

tBerg, I think you live near Vic's shop at Topsonline.com. I'm certain he'd let you have a look at and use the dash structure that should be delivered to him in about a week in your efforts. I'm interested in the best solution for all.

Quick Reply: Full Cockpit Tonneau Cover?