XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Cockpit Tonneau Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Just a couple of thoughts from a long-time tonneau user. (I read the thread pretty quickly, so if I'm repeating something, sorry.)

- A good quality vinyl / naugahyde material works just fine. Used all the time and can last many years with a little care. Much cheaper than high-end convertible top materials.

- Attach points: These have to be strong. It's not so much the wind forces, but sooner or later somebody is going to lean on it or set a bag of groceries on it or something. Better the tonneau is damaged than something is pulled out of the interior.

- Water drainage: Really important. A quick look at my car says water is going to want to head from the rear toward the dash (as well as to the sides) and this is going to have to be prevented somehow. Stiffeners?

Good luck with this! Looks like fun, and cutting down convertible top cycles can't be a bad thing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dennis07:
Padrino (03-29-2013), sklimii (03-28-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I know I'm jumping on an old thread but I will be very interested in committing to purchase an old style tonneau for the XK8/R.
I love that retro look and think it will go nice with the lines of our cars.
If anyone finds someone to design and make them, I'm in!
2X

Old 12-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I have an opinion. I may be the only one, but, I don't think the xk's would look good with a tonneau cover. The reason I say this is that it would have to go over the headrests and would look lumpy.

Back in the day, I had a Sunbeam Alpine. It had low back bucket seat and the tonneau cover fit flat and smoothly over the interior. Looked very nice and I drove it with the cover in place 90% of the time.

I now own a 2002 Miata as well as my XK, and have looked at tonneau covers for the Miata. The problem is they don't look nearly as nice as I think they should, plus, because of the pocket to go over the headrests, the seat back has to be in a specific location for the cover to fit. That means, each time you put it on you have to either slide the seat forward or back or tilt the seat back into the proper position to get it to fit correctly. Too much hassle, plus, doesn't look that great. Easier to put the top up and be on your way.

Just my two cents. I would love to have a cover for the XK, but just don't think it would do the car justice, looks wise.

Good Luck guys,

Make a nice looking one, and you have a customer.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Months ago I promised to design and build a prototype but have just been so busy, I have not had a chance. I promise I will do it in the next month or two as I have some large projects that will come to an end by then. I have already altered my original tonneau to keep it from flopping around, and I have already purchased a matching vinyl to formulate this prototype.

Finally, I happened to be parked next to an old, beat up Miata, this morning, that had the full tonneau, and I loved it and wished I had one for my XKR. I will get to it, I promise!

Attached Thumbnails Full Cockpit Tonneau Cover?-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I will be standing by!
Thanks

Old 01-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Full cockpit Arden

You could have a full cockpit cover for a mere 15K.
Arden Hardtop für XK8/XKR Cabriolet

I've seen a cover somewhere that had a leather covering for the cockpit as well as the top. It was for an MG. I think......

I have a tonneau cover that I had painted to match my car. I love it; I've actually had people take pictures while I've been driving.

Attached Thumbnails Full Cockpit Tonneau Cover?-jagpic2.jpg   Full Cockpit Tonneau Cover?-jagpic1.jpg  
Old 09-07-2020, 09:48 AM
Received 195 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Back from the dead...

Originally Posted by tberg
Months ago I promised to design and build a prototype but have just been so busy, I have not had a chance. I promise I will do it in the next month or two as I have some large projects that will come to an end by then. I have already altered my original tonneau to keep it from flopping around, and I have already purchased a matching vinyl to formulate this prototype.

Finally, I happened to be parked next to an old, beat up Miata, this morning, that had the full tonneau, and I loved it and wished I had one for my XKR. I will get to it, I promise!
Did this ever happen?

I use the factory tonneau all the time and like that it keeps the roof clean and nonflapping when down.

I leave my top down so much (going on 3 months now) that I'd love to have a full cabin tonneau cover for all the reasons mentioned above.
Like the MGB below, with a center zip, so you could drive it with the px & rear seats covered.
I have so many great memories of driving TRs and MGs around like that (plus some non-great memories of a very rainy rally where rain was dripping in, even with the TR-6 top up).

I would have to figure out how to integrate it with my windblocker, which I (and Mrs. S.) love too.

professor2 (02-01-2022)
Old 09-07-2020, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I had one like that ^^^ for my MGB a long time ago. I can remember coming out in the morning and unzipping the middle and trying to keep the rain water from the puddle in the middle out of the cabin. I didn't have a garage then. Mine was a later model MGB though, mostly plastic interior, with coco mats, so the water didn't matter much !

professor2 (02-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2021, 01:55 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like this excellent idea unfortunately went cold at the end of 2013. Shouldn't have. Seems as though the big problem seemed to be the need for permanent disfiguring anchors behind the windshield. Possible solution might be to adhere a narrow strip of burled wood matching the interior carrying the anchor posts along the dash and doors. That might give the supports something of a factory look. Since the headrests sit much higher than the dash, some way of cinching the gussets tight around the headrests would give the midsection of the tonneau support.

professor2 (02-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2021, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by wufibugs
Looks like this excellent idea unfortunately went cold at the end of 2013. Shouldn't have. Seems as though the big problem seemed to be the need for permanent disfiguring anchors behind the windshield. Possible solution might be to adhere a narrow strip of burled wood matching the interior carrying the anchor posts along the dash and doors. That might give the supports something of a factory look. Since the headrests sit much higher than the dash, some way of cinching the gussets tight around the headrests would give the midsection of the tonneau support.
How about a Velcro strip. would not have to be wind /tornado/hurricane resistant..

Old 10-31-2021, 01:41 PM
Default Tonneau

Sam, that idea was floated back in 2013 and was rejected for three reasons. First, some people very familiar with velcro said it would not last in that environment. Second, it's pretty unattractive. Third, while the windshield would shield that part of the tonneau from the direct impact of 90 mph wind, the back of the cover would be subject to that load and would distribute it over the entire cover. I'm no engineer, but those points made sense to me. Combined with the fact that few people expressed any interest in having a series of hold-down posts pierce the dash and doors, I could see no other way to have a sufficiently robust frame for the tonneau except to come up with something that would mimic an OEM installation.

professor2 (02-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2021, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Too bad. My first car, a 1952 TR2 had a full cockpit tonneau. Drove a lot with it half zipped. Even 'hunkered down' a couple of times in quick rain shower, once with a young lady, but that is a story for a different forum.......

professor2 (02-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2021, 08:06 PM
Default Tonneau

It must be English cars. I too had a 1959 Bugeye Sprite with a full tonneau zippered in the middle. The effects of puberty and testosterone being what they were, I too risked permanent paralysis with a willing partner to use that cover as a boudoir.

professor2 (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 09:28 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tonneau cover

Originally Posted by tberg
I would have no problem putting together a design, and a good quality vinyl "leatherette" is approximately $10.00-15.00 per running yard (54" width, and I bought a beautiful vinyl this week to upholster a client's restaurant booths for just under $10/yd). I also have a workroom that has been doing all of my custom interior work for 30 years, so I could have them sewn very reasonably. I would want to line the vinyl with another fabric to make it look finished. I doubt there is more than $80-$100 in materials and probably $125-150 in labor. The key is I would want to come up with a tie down design that doesn't alter the door sills or dash with snaps etc. Again, I don't believe the majority of XK owners would want those alterations made, including myself. I am quite busy for the next 2-3 weeks, but I will start working on a prototype by the middle of April. I am certain I can figure something out. And by the way, Topsonline or Vic's places orders for the seats and tops with another company, they are not made at their place, so I'm not sure they could come up with a tonneau just because we ask.
Howdy Pilgrim,
Did you ever make a full tonneau cover for an XK? I've had those on several cars (purchased, already made) even a '66 Mustang convertible. I always thought they are an essential part of any sports car, but I've not been able to find on for the '97 XK. Any chance you would consider making one?

Old 02-01-2022, 03:22 PM

tberg, that is a most enticing offer for those fortunate to own a XK model. Those of us still pumping life into our XJSCs would, I think, welcome the infusion of your skills and talents in designing something to fit our car.