XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full LED DRL Headlights And Tail Lights Aftermarket Manufacture Soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 08:48 AM
Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Billy, would your jewel taillights fit my 2002 XKR?

Old 07-18-2021, 03:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Arrow

THIS IS ONE OF THE FEATURED HEADLIGHT DESIGNS. THE COMPANY NEEDS 500 SETS PRE-ORDERED. PRODUCTION WILL NOT START UNTIL 2022. WHAT YALL THINK ?

The following users liked this post:
mchiti1 (07-19-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I have just read through this whole thread having not seen it before, and I have seen the production date change to more than 2 years later than originally projected. I might have been interested but I don't trust the manufacturers of a product that asks you to pre-order but can't give an actual date of delivery or even production. I wish they would do these for the X150 as my 2010 XKR lenses, being plastic, unlike my 2002 XKR's glass lenses, are starting to haze and get minute cracks all around. But the credibility of the manufacturer is the biggest stumbling block. This thread started in early 2019, and now is quoting late 2022 production after first promising 2020 then 2021 availability dates. Why would anyone trust that they will receive the product. As for the question related to whether or not you upgrade a car with non-original products, I would offer my opinion based upon my experience with upgrading a couple of my own "classics." I have a gorgeous 1972 De Tomaso Pantera that I was never driving because of all the little issues with it and the fact that my 2010 XKR when I bought it in 2013 was quicker, more manageable, easier to track, and frankly more enjoyable. So when I made the decision to either get rid of the Pantera or make it a more user friendly automobile, of course, I "upgraded" things to make it better. I replaced the engine with a high horsepower one, I fuel injected it, I replaced the seats with C4 Corvette ones, I reupholstered the entire interior including the dash and rear firewall in leather with diamond stitched quilting. I upgraded the brakes which in turn made necessary increasing wheel size to 17" from the stock 15" Campagnolos to cover the larger calipers. I did this because I was less concerned with future investment value and more interested in being able to enjoy driving it. I never by cars as investments, I by them for me. If long after I'm gone, someone buys it from my heirs, and decides to return it to absolute stock, good for them. For the first time in many years, I enjoy driving my Pantera and take it out every weekend where before I wouldn't drive it more than 10 miles per year. On my 1968 Pontiac GTO, during its restoration, I decided to add disc brakes all around, not original, but highly improved. So improved headlights or taillights would be a welcome addition for me because I'm not concerned what the next owner thinks, if it helps my feeble eyes see better, bring it on.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
I have just read through this whole thread having not seen it before, and I have seen the production date change to more than 2 years later than originally projected. I might have been interested but I don't trust the manufacturers of a product that asks you to pre-order but can't give an actual date of delivery or even production. I wish they would do these for the X150 as my 2010 XKR lenses, being plastic, unlike my 2002 XKR's glass lenses, are starting to haze and get minute cracks all around. But the credibility of the manufacturer is the biggest stumbling block. This thread started in early 2019, and now is quoting late 2022 production after first promising 2020 then 2021 availability dates. Why would anyone trust that they will receive the product. As for the question related to whether or not you upgrade a car with non-original products, I would offer my opinion based upon my experience with upgrading a couple of my own "classics." I have a gorgeous 1972 De Tomaso Pantera that I was never driving because of all the little issues with it and the fact that my 2010 XKR when I bought it in 2013 was quicker, more manageable, easier to track, and frankly more enjoyable. So when I made the decision to either get rid of the Pantera or make it a more user friendly automobile, of course, I "upgraded" things to make it better. I replaced the engine with a high horsepower one, I fuel injected it, I replaced the seats with C4 Corvette ones, I reupholstered the entire interior including the dash and rear firewall in leather with diamond stitched quilting. I upgraded the brakes which in turn made necessary increasing wheel size to 17" from the stock 15" Campagnolos to cover the larger calipers. I did this because I was less concerned with future investment value and more interested in being able to enjoy driving it. I never by cars as investments, I by them for me. If long after I'm gone, someone buys it from my heirs, and decides to return it to absolute stock, good for them. For the first time in many years, I enjoy driving my Pantera and take it out every weekend where before I wouldn't drive it more than 10 miles per year. On my 1968 Pontiac GTO, during its restoration, I decided to add disc brakes all around, not original, but highly improved. So improved headlights or taillights would be a welcome addition for me because I'm not concerned what the next owner thinks, if it helps my feeble eyes see better, bring it on.
I don't think you understand over 3 aftermarket manufactures has been involved in this project. All the original oem units were sent to their factories. In 2019 it was sent to a factory then Covid 19 happened in 2020 so it delayed the process. Then now there is a auto industry part shortage in 2021. So the soonest production will began is in 2022 for the X100 XK8 XKR models only. The X150 there are not enough cars that were produced to do a full fledged new headlight and tail light design vs the X100 over 90k cars were produced. Please understand.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:05 AM
Received 284 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by StayInTheJag
THIS IS ONE OF THE FEATURED HEADLIGHT DESIGNS. THE COMPANY NEEDS 500 SETS PRE-ORDERED. PRODUCTION WILL NOT START UNTIL 2022. WHAT YALL THINK ?

Impossible to give an opinion based on a ridiculously blurry and pixellated picture. If this is the best picture that the manufacturer can come up with, I'd avoid them like the plague. Are they using Microsoft Paint as a design tool?

And how much are they? $5? $5000?

LovellyJubblies (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 04:37 AM
Arrow

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
Impossible to give an opinion based on a ridiculously blurry and pixellated picture. If this is the best picture that the manufacturer can come up with, I'd avoid them like the plague. Are they using Microsoft Paint as a design tool?

And how much are they? $5? $5000?

The headlights will be estimated $800 per pair and the tail lights will be estimated $400 per pair. There are 3 manufactures currently working on this project. The headlights will not be glass and will be high made with a high grade polycarbonate and the washer tab will be removed. This is a very expensive project that's being worked on so as soon as we can get 500 sets presale we will fulfill the project and have all new full led headlights and tail lights which will make our cars more modern.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you understand over 3 aftermarket manufactures has been involved in this project. All the original oem units were sent to their factories. In 2019 it was sent to a factory then Covid 19 happened in 2020 so it delayed the process. Then now there is a auto industry part shortage in 2021. So the soonest production will began is in 2022 for the X100 XK8 XKR models only. The X150 there are not enough cars that were produced to do a full fledged new headlight and tail light design vs the X100 over 90k cars were produced. Please understand.
Thanks. 2022 is too late for me then. Pre-ordering doesn't sound good either. I'd want to be able to see what they look like first and also essentially pay for on credit card to have protection against possibility of fraud/lost-in-post/other. Credit Card only protection only lasts for a certain number of days (100?), so not for me. Cheers and good luck.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:24 PM

Guys we need 500 sets pre-ordered to fulfill this project. I have been working on it the past 2 years reaching out to many aftermarket companies to make this project happen. Let's get it going.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:14 AM

This is absolutely never going to happen.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
This is absolutely never going to happen.
The project will happen the oem assemblies were sent to 3 different factories and 2 of them are interested in developing them. Of course the pandemic happened and then the auto parts shortage happened of 2021 people need to be patient. The latest estimate of complettion is 2022.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,665 Likes on 988 Posts

With all due respect to the people involved with the project, there are already LED bulb conversions available for the lo and high beams in my ‘02 XKR. Probably for the rail lights too.

I’ve yet to see what makes these new LED units a better value than just buying the bulbs and installing them at a cost of about $150 for both LED bulbs depending on the quality of LED’s purchased

I manufacture frame parts for vintage cars, so I know how difficult it is to get a project moving. But asking for 500 pre-orders seems like a very high bar to reach.

If someone is needing the complete assembly then these LED unit might be attractive. But even then, one can find used headlight assemblies in very good condition without looking too hard

Z

Last edited by zray; 07-20-2021 at 04:14 PM.
dfbender (07-21-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 11:38 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

$800 and give up my cherished glass lenses, so rare these days? No way.

dfbender (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by zray
With all due respect to the people involved with the project, there are already LED bulb conversions available for the lo and high beams in my ‘02 XKR. Probably for the rail lights too.

I’ve yet to see what makes these new LED units a better value than just buying the bulbs and installing them at a cost of about $150 for both LED bulbs depending on the quality of LED’s purchased

I manufacture frame parts for vintage cars, so I know how difficult it is to get a project moving. But asking for 500 pre-orders seems like a very high bar to reach.

If someone is needing the complete assembly then these LED unit might be attractive. But even then, one can find used headlight assemblies in very good condition without looking too hard

Z

Well our original oem units has the condensation issue even with drilling holes. All new polycarbonate units will be sealed and free of condensation as well as provide better light production with LED technology. In addition all new designs will modernize our cars even more. So the pros are better than the cons. I have been working on this project and will continue to work on it. However I need the Jaguar community help and support.

Old 07-21-2021, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 351 Posts

I think that expecting to get 500 units 'pre sold' is a non starter and then is that 500 single units or 500 pairs?
If a pre-sale deposit of $100 witha guarantee
of monies returned if not produced by xxx date might help to push some doubters but for me, I love the glass look and would rebuild the entire inside of mine if needed in order to keep the glass.
ymmv

wj

Old 07-21-2021, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

I second the enthusiasm for the glass headlight “lens”.

During my e type days, the only thing I missed having on my ‘70 model were the glass headlights of my ‘67.

Are the glass headlights at risk from rocks, etc ?

Of course they are, but the styling pluses are hard to set aside in favor of durability.

Z

PS: I bet the 500 paid orders will be for pairs, not singles. It’s not a stretch to predict that by the time 500 units are pre-ordered someone in China will have leap frogged over this effort.

The 500 bar just seems very high given the low number of these cars still on the road.

Last edited by zray; 07-21-2021 at 06:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zray:
dfbender (07-22-2021), michaelh (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 351 Posts

I think you might have a captive audience in the x150 forum, they already have plastic lenses and the supply of lights is very low. and expensive

wj

Old 07-22-2021, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,545 Posts

I'm adding a third vote in favour of glass lenses.

Originally Posted by zray
Are the glass headlights at risk from rocks, etc ?
Of course they are, but the styling pluses are hard to set aside in favor of durability.
I'm not sure you even get durability given the tendency of the plastic to go foggy after few years in the daylight.
I guess polycarbonate keeps the 'elf an' safety folks happy, though.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by wymjym
I think you might have a captive audience in the x150 forum, they already have plastic lenses and the supply of lights is very low. and expensive

wj

X150 is not applicable for the simple reason there were not enough cars produced as there were the X100. This is strictly a X100 project

Old 07-23-2021, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member

Guys we need 500 sets pre-ordered to fulfill this project. I have been working on it the past 2 years reaching out to many aftermarket companies to make this project happen. Let's get it going.

is it going to be revealed how many sets have been pre-sold so far ?

Z

Old 07-23-2021, 03:40 AM

When you can prove 499 preorders, I'll make up the 500th. Which is never.

Quick Reply: Full LED DRL Headlights And Tail Lights Aftermarket Manufacture Soon