XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Fun stuff - Ever wondered about your High Beam's vertical display?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Fun stuff - Ever wondered about your High Beam's vertical display?

This may only apply to earlier versions, I have a 98 xk8. I've always noticed how much light is projected vertically (easily seen against trees when approaching) when the high beams are on. In the event that some of you may share that same thought, I wanted to tell you about this. I've always wondered to myself what the image might look like against at flat surface. I have to admit that yes, part of me always thought wouldn't it be cool if it was the Jaguar emblem (yeah like that's gonna happen right?). Well no its not a leaper but wow it is really cool when you can see it.

Last night was very foggy in Central New Jersey. I came across a rather rare phenominon, for long stretches of road the bottom layer of the fog started about 30 feet above the road. I finally found something with a flat surface that's large enough for the lights to project on to. This (finally) gave me a way to see exactly what this image might look like - it was really interesting. I don't know how to describe it best, an arrow tipped or delta shaped star ship, pointing forward in the direction of travel?

Since I was on back roads with no traffic I could try to photograph it, I'll attach them. I have to note that frankly it was a good thing I was on these quiet back roads, looking up at this cool design that of course led the way was really really cool, almost surrealistic. I'm lucky no deer decided to jump out or anything. It was mesmerizing. As you view these images, imagine them in the orientation as if you picked up your display vertically and held it as though it were just above the top of your windshield.

FYI, the image was really sharp in a live setting, hard to capture with the camera I used, but this gives you the idea.

I should note that when the fog descended, I was treated to a 3D version of this vertical projection - much of it actually looks like a sunburst going upwards. I wonder if they actually designed any of this or if it's all just serendipity.

Thought you might find a light hearted post interesting, especially if you've wondered the same thing about these lights' design. I've always wondered what this design would look like.

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
GGG (11-05-2015), michaelh (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 01:33 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

John,

Familiar with the phrase "you need to get out more"? Looks like you're way over doing it. Time to get back home.

Graham

Old 11-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Or the phrase "I guess you had to be there"
Gotta love your enthusiasm though. I'll have to look out for that tomorrow evening on my country road trip in the pre-winter darkness, see if I get it.
And I like the fog blanket, nice image.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

JagNor, I think you're right - you had to be there. Appreciate your message though. Who knows, maybe one of of will get a fog covering like I described someday and get to check it out .

Graham, You made me laugh. This was one of those things I always wondered, of course being a typical man, I figured everyone else must have wondered this too. . . Like I said you had to be there mate.

You guys have a great weekend.