XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

A funny story from the parking lot at work

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A funny story from the parking lot at work

I drove our 2001 XK8 to work the other day and one of my co-workers who had not seen it before was fawning over how beautiful it was. Another co-worker who, happened to be nearby, later said something to her about her admiration of my car, then added "what about my Acura, it's a really nice car?" (a fairly new coupe) to which she replied "everybody's got an Acura, that's a Jag!" He was heartbroken that his Japanese pride and joy was being trampled by an elderly Brit!

Last edited by ra.stewart; 05-14-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Mobile device did not send complete data
Old 05-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I feel bad for the Acura owner, but it is true, there is something about the elderly brit that catches peoples eye. I get a compliments almost every day. My wife and I have discussed it. We can't figure it out. True they are nice, but lets face it, not that nice. I can't see it myself. I wouldn;t trade for anything even if it is unexplainable.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I am quickly learning, my XK8 is that unique and that nice. It melts people's hearts!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin
I feel bad for the Acura owner, but it is true, there is something about the elderly brit that catches peoples eye. I get a compliments almost every day. My wife and I have discussed it. We can't figure it out.
Let me help: "They're beautiful!!!" whereas an Acura is "very nice.." Martin, you are hereby sentenced to watching reruns of old Andy Griffith shows until you come across the one where Andy and Barn fix Gomer up with Thelma Lou's cousin, "Mary Grace!"
Gomer: "and you say she's pret-"
Andy & Barney in unison: "She's naaaahhhs Gomer she's REAL naaaahhhssss!"

Old 05-16-2012, 07:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gotten 3 compliments in the past week about my red '01 XK8 convert. She still turns heads after 11 years. Maybe it's the bright red color?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

I think it's the shape. I hear "sexy car" reasonably often, and they carry an air of exclusivity that the Bimmers and Mercs just can't match.

Not long after I got the car a couple of guys came up to me while I was getting my mail and accused me of being in the wrong neighborhood.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The junior high kids love my car, every afternoon I go home early those kids always stare and give the thumbs up......atleast I think it a thumb LOL

Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 AM

I know what you mean although I drive the S-Type It gets so many stares it kind of makes me uncomfortable sometimes and then sometimes I floss my azz off. last weekend we had a big fair downtown,and a woman driving a white convertible older model jag was staring so hard at my car that when the light turned green for people to turn right she proceeded to take off and ended up in the middle of the street now that was funny because she was going straight!!! People who know cars understand the difference between ordinary foreign imports as apposed to that other level so to speak!!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Timeless

Those interested in the styling history of the XK8 might enjoy reading John Blunsden's book "Jaguar XK8 and XKR" or similar reviews. Jaguar took such a drubbing on the XJ-S styling that it spend a lot of time getting the XK8 "right" as the spiritual successor of the XKE.

There are many pictures of the design models showing the evolution of the exterior and interior. The interior worked from several design briefs such as "Contemporary", Traditional" etc. to finally arrive at the Spitfire Wing we know today. Research money being in short supply, one of the discarded interior designs made it to production in the Aston Martin.

The exterior design brief was explicitly to carry forward the XKE design momentum and many observers feel that it did. When people admire the "something-about-it" shape of the XK8 and mistake it for a much more modern automobile they are confirming the genius of Sir Lyons' truly timeless design!

Last edited by Spurlee; 05-16-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always get "nice car, what year is it?" (it's a 2001) I want to say "its' brand new" I don't get what the point is about the year, but that is always the first question I get asked, then comes '"12 cylinder?" No, it's an eight. "Oh, still a nice car"

Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup...
It's nice walking out of the mall into a mega-lot of vehicles & thinking that there is not one of them I'd rather be sliding into, regardless of price.
Cheers
TheCounty
ps ... maybe we are all just suffering from acutely impecably good taste.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My wife and I were just driving through the mall parking lot with the top down and overheard a man with his young son:

"Daddy, daddy! Look at that!"
"Yes, son. That's a new car. It's called a Jaguar."

Not bad for an eight year old car...

Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed M
My wife and I were just driving through the mall parking lot with the top down and overheard a man with his young son:

"Daddy, daddy! Look at that!"
"Yes, son. That's a new car. It's called a Jaguar."

Not bad for an eight year old car...
Daddy should have added, "That's why you stay in school and work hard."

Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drive my Acura every day My Jaguar is only for special occasions.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Every day is a special occasion.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed M
Every day is a special occasion.
It sure is when I drive the XKR! That's why it's my daily driver.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my Jaguar just to use it on fine days in week-ends, and in special occasions. It has not turned out that way, i use it every day to work and everywhere i go. Can't help it. My other new 4x4 suv are of no intrest any longer :-)

Old 05-23-2012, 03:57 AM

I now have to force myself to drive my suv it's a shame i just put it away like an old toy!!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, I try to drive every car in our "fleet" once a week and consistently get comments about how nice both the XK8 and our XJ6 are. Our 2 BMW's get comments, but not like the Jags. I can't wait until our MK VII is ready to drive to see how people react.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Well i have owned 35 cars since i started driveing, my 2002 xkr is the only car i get that exited fealing about every time i get in it as if i only picked it up yesterday, had the car 4years now and it never enters my head to look for a more modern car,dont you think its just the greatest fealing when your parked up next to a bm or a murk at the mall but everyone is only commenting on the jag

Quick Reply: A funny story from the parking lot at work