XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Fuse 3 and Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse 3 and Alarm

Happy Saturday (or not...)

I am a spoilt amateur mechanic, having dripped blood from my knuckles on many a Haynes manual, so I am struggling with not having a Haynes for my "new" XKR (2000) RHD.

I have plundered t'internet and got a fair bit of info., but now I could do with a bit of help (please). If I tell a short story it will list my observations in order:
  • a month ago the alarm went off in the works car park, then the sounder failed permanently, so it no longer sounds when I lock the doors
  • a few weeks ago I was clipped by a lorry on the front left, minor damage, no inertia activation, no airbag activation, didn't even break the headlamp or foglamp
  • isurance repairers fixed my car
  • immediately before the accident the heater was generating loads of heat
  • immediately after the accident (car was drivable) the heater was cold
  • I told the body shop about the heater and they thought they fixed it, but I suspect that they noted the low heat available above 40mph without the pump
  • after I got the car back I noticed that the Foglamps, Heated Seats and Traction Control also do not work
  • I have found Fuse 3 blown, but when replaced it blows when the ignition is turned on.
So I think I am pretty much there, my questions:
  1. I think that the alarm sounder unit was failing and the bump caused something to short, possibly internal (I have seen the photo's of the state the NiCads get into), does that sound right? Or is it likely to be coincidence (I know - anything can be coincidence)?
  2. Which side is the alarm sounder unit on a RHD car?
  3. Does anybody have any diagrams or photo's of how it actually looks?
  4. What is the best way to disconnect the alarm sounder unit?
Bonus question:
  1. Stuff I read suggest that Fuse 3 is 5amp, mine is 10amp and the spares still have very old sellotape holding them in (original Jaguar or first owner?) and none missing (until today), should I be worried?
Thank You - I know someone out there will have the answers.
(the only cat???)

Old 02-06-2016, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

Yes, Fuse No 3 should be 5A. It protects the Active Alarm sounder and the heater water pump among a number of other things. That sounder is known usually to fail to ground so may well be the cause of your fuse blowing.

It is located behind the righthand headlight and you'll have to remove the wheelarch liner to get access. IIRC you can just unplug it until it's repaired or replaced.

There's easy access to the wiring diagrams (and much more!) at JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Note that the security system wiring diagram was not published in the MY 2000 edition, so use the MY2003, page 13.2

Old 02-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I found I was able to get to and remove the alarm unit through the access hatch (for the front foglight) in the liner. Currently the alarm unit is sitting on my workbench as I'm about to remove the rechargable batteries in it and replace with new ones.a

Name:  image_zpsrqw8zrih.jpeg
Views: 2210
Size:  481.8 KB

R

Last edited by ralphy; 02-07-2016 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
B o B (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 03:46 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Ralphy, thanks a lot for posting this issue. My car has just started giving me the same problem and I was wondering where the unit was and what I could do about it. Thanks to you, I now know. What batteries are you going to use and where will you source them?

Old 02-08-2016, 07:16 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by B o B
Hi Ralphy, thanks a lot for posting this issue. My car has just started giving me the same problem and I was wondering where the unit was and what I could do about it. Thanks to you, I now know. What batteries are you going to use and where will you source them?
I'm going to use AA as they're the same size, my choice will be the largest Ma capacity I can find and a good rechargable manufacturer. I'll reseal them in with silicone, which will make access a lot easier in the future compared with the original potting compound.

I'll report back on how it goes.

R

The following users liked this post:
B o B (02-09-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You astromorg & ralphy

I will try and post pics when it is done, if I manage to get my heater back!

Interestingly; the heater works fine above 60 mph, just not at slow speed. This suggests to me that the main water pump just isn't pumping hard enough at low engine speed to get the heater matrix warm. I wonder if the electric pump was original design or a fix?

Old 02-10-2016, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

Electric pump (and associated electric valve) are the original design. It's a fairly sophisticated system - the pump runs pretty much all the time and the valve is "software driven" to regulate the temperature in the car according to the various inputs to the Climate Control 'Computer'.
Just a pity they decided to put it in such an inaccessible place !!