XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Found mine...

... fuel pressure regulator (jaguar calls it a transducer). Metal tab sheared off the plastic pegs that the two holes snapped onto, and that opened up the seam, broke the gasket, fuel came-a-leakin out like a small stream onto the engine. I tried to put humpty dumpty back together, but no joy, need a new one. Sure hope my boss isn't expecting me tomorrow at work!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Good troubleshooting. I wish you luck.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

BTW, the leak had corroded the circuit board on the inside, I wonder if this is related to the Reverend Sam's issue...if corroded and giving false info, it may not bleed off the excess pressure like its supposed to.

When testing my 'attempted' repair, I turned the key to position II to see if it leaked when the rail pressured up...and it leaked, but then it stopped. It must've got to a certain pressure then closed. Turning the engine on resulted in a constant leak, and it continued to bleed off pressure and fuel for another 10 seconds or so before stopping.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I was wondering if he found the problem. You should knock on his door and see if he checked his.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the new canister close valve today, and installed it with new tubing. The gas smell is somehow worse.

I have now replaced the purge and the ccv along with removing the canisters and checking for leaks. Seals etc.

The dealer diagnosed it as the ccv. I am running out of options.

The only thing that is not oem is the vent I bought to replace the old vent and the tubing going to it. It is the same type of hose... I also did not run the new tubing and vent all the way up through the areas as before... I can't see how that would matter... If the valve opens, it shouldn't matter if the hose is 6" vs 24", but i am not sure.

I also heard someone say they had to have the dealer flash the software. Dont know what this will do.

Any ideas!!!

Last edited by Blakeb1; 06-20-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: More info
Old 06-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Blakeb1
I got the new canister close valve today, and installed it with new tubing. The gas smell is somehow worse.

I have replaced the purge and the ccv along with removing the canisters and checking for leaks. Seals etc.

The dealer diagnosed it as the ccv. I am running out of options.

The only thing that is not oem is the vent I bought to replace the old vent that vents into the frame, but I guess I will order that as well.

Any ideas!!!
At this point, you might want to consider having a shop run a smoke test to see of they can find the source of the leak.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:05 PM

I might have to do that. I also read on another post that the canisters can fill with gas in an overflow situation, and clog. Might try to remove it again and blow it out.

Thoughts.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering if the gas smell was ever solved. I am an XJ40 and SIII guy but volunteered to help with my sisters 2002 XK. She has a very bad gas smell and I was going to start at the purge valve.

My XJ40 had a gas smell but that was the top hat problem on the gas tank. I'm wondering if the XK has the same type of gas tank.

Last edited by urdrwho; 07-18-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure if this applies to any of these problems. My local gas station mechanic, I won't use him to do any repairs, saw me topping off my tank after filling. The gas actually backed up the filler neck. He said that this gas can get sucked into the canister and cause all kinds of problems. Sounded logical to me so now when the handle "clicks" it's full. Jack

Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I have had no involvement with a fuel odor but thought this might help.

Attached Thumbnails gas smell-xk8fuelsystem.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Talking Gas smell resolved

Good news for me, I took another look at my hoses and finally found the issue. It was the little tube in the trunk that goes from somewhere behind the tank to the inlet to the first canister. It was disconnected and hard to tell.

Look at the picture, it is the small hose. To see it you have to take the gas tank cover off.

Attached Thumbnails gas smell-hose.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
michaelmele820 (09-05-2020)
Old 07-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Good news for me, I took another look at my hoses and finally found the issue. It was the little tube in the trunk that goes from somewhere behind the tank to the inlet to the first canister. It was disconnected and hard to tell.

Look at the picture, it is the small hose. To see it you have to take the gas tank cover off.

Bravo!...I admire your determination!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Veteran member

hard to see in that pic, can you circle the 'spot'? not for me, for others.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 33 Likes on 5 Posts
Default gas smell is back!!!!!

I have a 2001 XK8 Convertible and I had a strong gas smell. Great step by step instructions to replace purge valve. Ticking noise and gas smell totally gone. Now, gas smell is back. I have read many of the posts and I am confused. I am not going to drop the gas tank. Where is the canister? The TSB showed an air filter in the right rear, but I certainly cannot find it. If the canister is near the purge valve, I could replace it. Several post indicate dry rot hoses in the EVAC system. I know that there a lot of info on this subject, but I AM LOST and I don’t know where to look. Ron

Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Default Gas Smell Location.

This attachment should help you. I did find my issue the other day. I believe mine started with the purge valve, but as I removed the gas tank shield I must have unplugged one of the hoses. Once I put it back together, it took two days for the car to acknowledge the fix and stop venting the gas smell out of the vent. See the hose picture I plugged back together in mu earlier post.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Linda's Jag (08-08-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched the video ‪How To Replace the Canister Purge Valve on a Jaguar XK8‬‏ - YouTube but on the 2002 XK8 I worked on, there was none of the pinch and easily pull off bits. Also the valve was different from the one on the video. My valve had two lines to remove that were held on by fuel line spring clips. Pulling off fuel line rubber material off of plastic barbs that were in place for a long time was not an easy task.

And there was the issue of the keepers that held the two lines to the metal bracket. If you don't place the lines back in the keepers they will slap against the inside of the body. You must get everything in place first because the torque of the rubber fuel line, if attached wrong, will keep the lines from staying in the keepers on the bracket. You can only know what I mean after removing and replacing the lines on the keepers.

Removing the spring clips that are in close proximity to each other took a lot longer than the snap in place stuff on the video.

So I'm just saying that 5 minutes to replace is off target for some cars.

This attachment should help you. I did find my issue the other day. I believe mine started with the purge valve, but as I removed the gas tank shield I must have unplugged one of the hoses. Once I put it back together, it took two days for the car to acknowledge the fix and stop venting the gas smell out of the vent. See the hose picture I plugged back together in mu earlier post.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 AM

Thank you so much, Blakeb1. Outstanding post. I have the Jag up on jack stands and have a visual on all the parts. Already changed the Purge Valve a few months ago. I ordered a new CCV and will install it today. I am going down to the Jag Dealer to get a new short hose. I will inspect all the hoses and canisters today. Your post was so clear. Hope that this STOPS the fuel smell because the car cannot be driven with this fuel smell. Ron

Old 08-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Default NO more gas smell

I sincerely want to thank all of you with the trouble-shooting of my gas smell. The Jag was absolutely undriveable because the gas smell was so bad.

After changing the purge valve (great video) in the front driver's wheel well and the CVV in the back between the canisters under the trunk, it finally STOPPED the raw gas smell. I did find a "cracked" vaccum line near the purge valve that my have helped also. I am so happy and I can now drive the Jaguar again...... Ron

Old 07-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
On US cars they are between the two rear wheels under the car...two rectangular black boxes. The CCV valve is between the two canisters. The vent filter is near the right rear wheel well. Purge valve (as you know) is in the left front wheel well.
Looks like you really need a lift to own this car. Separately, I'd love to know how much of the useful information in this thread applies to 4.2 cars as well as 4.0s. Edit: I don't have a gas smell but I'm looking into P0445 issues.

Last edited by Marsden; 07-14-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:26 AM
Veteran member

Marsden, I've replaced the purge valve up in the front wheel well also, not for any other reason except that it was ticking SO VERY LOUDLY.

Quick Reply: gas smell