XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Gearbox fault.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 05:32 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtyH
........... Was told, as the fault is a mechanical one no codes would have shown, and anyway we did not take a printout ........

......... Got the car booked into an indi on Thursday who said he would check the car out with jag official gear and would give me the codes.
The Auto Box people have certainly down graded their initial diagnosis from imminent total self destruction of the transmission to a possibility of further limp home mode or perhaps even no further trouble.

Following their inspection, it will be interesting to see if the vehicle now shows:

P1000 (OnBoard tests not completed since last memory clear)
OR
P1111 (OnBoard tests complete)

Be sure to ask your Indy for all the actual codes and also take note of the scantool being used.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
ArtyH (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for the reply Graham, I will ask about the codes with respect to those two in particular.

Kind regards,

Arty

Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 AM

Just had a scanner delivered from Amazon today ( bought for my sons Punto ) an wondered if it would be any good for my case? Its an Autel MaxiScan MS309. Have not read the instructions yet and do not know if it will be of any use to check out the gearbox fault but will look into it now.

Many thanks again,

Arty.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Just had a scanner delivered from Amazon today ( bought for my sons Punto ) an wondered if it would be any good for my case? Its an Autel MaxiScan MS309. Have not read the instructions yet and do not know if it will be of any use to check out the gearbox fault but will look into it now.

Many thanks again,

Arty.
That should be work and might give some helpful information. Post the codes here...do not look up the definitions in a generic guide as they might not be accurate for Jaguar.

ArtyH (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Hi RaceDiagnostics, thanks for your input, all that was showing on the console was " Gearbox fault " then it changed to " Reduced Performance " no codes, is this where they should be displayed? Indication has gone off now, but there are no unexpected or strange noises when driving. Also there are no fluid leaks that I can see ANYWHERE. Last drive as stated above was very smooth and a great experience. I am keeping the speed down to 60mph as I have a feeling there are plastic tensioners ( original ones ) in the engine so do not want to push my luck at all. Estimate less than 40 miles to travel before storage, including taking to the Indy jag lad tomorrow. Then its to decide which job to tackle first, when I have a better idea of the problems and costings, tensioners I would have thought. From now to next April will give me a bit of time to save and look up on the forums and seek advice if required.
Thanks again for the input.

Last edited by ArtyH; 08-28-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:49 PM
GGG

............ all that was showing on the console was " Gearbox fault " then it changed to " Reduced Performance " no codes, is this where they should be displayed? Indication has gone off now, but there are no unexpected or strange noises when driving...............
What you were looking at is the Message Centre in the Instrument Pack. This displays warning messages as described in the Driver's Handbook. If you don't have this handbook, you can download the complete Vehicle Document Set in PDF format from here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-2003-a-67827/

The DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are stored in module memory and accessed through the DLC (Diagnostic Link Connector) using a scantool. DTC's are not displayed in the Message Centre.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 08-28-2013 at 05:08 PM.
ArtyH (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Thanks for confirming that Graham, its taking a bit of time to get to grips with the new letter terms, I thought that was the case but was not 100% sure, its always best to ask if unsure. If it all goes Pete Tong I have located a place in Basildon who will fit a reconditioned box and supply a 2year warranty all for £1595 and their website feedback is very good. So worst case is a complete re worked unit for £1595 + transport, best case is a few hundred for an oil filter and oil change. At least I have time to think it over now and may be do the tensioners over the winter.
I will post the results of the Indy check on Thursday.
Thanks to all who have helped.
Regards,
Arty

Regards,
Arty

Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 AM

O.K here goes with the update for today.
Took the car to the Indy garage this morning at 9am and saw the filters and oil and gaskets on the bench. Left the car and had a walk around and visited a friend, then returned to the garage at 11.30am just to see if it was ready. It was on the lift. Old oil and filter were removed and the new stuff had been fitted and I could see the guy turning the filler plug and there was a small seepage of oil from the hole. I left for my walk home. I called the garage around 2pm for an update as I was thinking the worst! I was told it will be ready in 30 minutes they were just checking the levels.
On arrival at the garage my car was standing outside. Went inside and the guys were working on other cars. One came over and told me everything went fine and the short test drive had been in order.
I was shown the bill and it was itemised :
Labour:
Renew ATF fluid and filter 60.75
Fault code reading, diagnosed code P0760,
Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Range/Performance 30.00

Parts:
Nr Gasket 20.73
Nr Oil Filter 26.70
4ltrs Automatic Transmission Oil 48.00
Plus VAT @ 20%
Total Bill £223.42 including VAT.

I have only driven the car about 10 miles to try it and as it was smooth before there was not a lot to improve upon.
Got to say a Range Sensor ( if that was the fault ) is a lot cheaper than a new gearbox, I'm not convinced either way at this juncture, only time will tell, fingers crossed. The worst is I'm going to take it for storage now as my insurance runs out at 12 m/n ( 7 hrs time ), so this will have to wait until next year now.

Very many thanks to all who commented and participated in the thread.
Any comments will be most welcome and I will respond to everyone.
Kind regards,
Arty

Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 AM

Any comments on the above post please? Positive or negative, I can take it. Cheers Arty

Old 08-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

I didn't think much of the earlier stories like failed drum, gearbox shot, etc. so I'm inclined to believe the most recent evaluation. But until you can put some miles on it any ones guess is good. Keep the battery charged while in storage and see what happens.

ArtyH (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 12:25 PM
GGG

It's unfortunate your insurance runs out. Clearing the codes, putting some miles on and then reading them again is the best approach from this stage.

At worst you'd get a repeat of the gearbox fault; at best it goes smoothly for many miles to come. My feeling on this is the smooth result is the more likely.

Putting the vehicle into storage for a few months could induce further error message issues when it goes back on the road if it's not on a battery tender such as CTEK. Nothing serious - more annoying spurious codes caused by a low battery.

Graham

ArtyH (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 04:57 PM

RJ237 and Graham, many thanks for the input, at least at this juncture its reassuring and it gives me some time to save a bit for up and coming bills.
I may just take the battery out of the car and put it on trickle charge every month or so. Or would that be detrimental to the cars on-board computers etc?

Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 PM
GGG

If you don't have the facility to run a battery tender whilst the vehicle is in storage then removing the battery and keeping it on trickle charge at home is probably the better option. It's going to lose all 'learned' settings in the same way as if you did a 'hard reset' but after that, length of time doesn't really matter.

If you do decide to remove the battery, make absolutely sure the boot CANNOT BE CLOSED! failure to observe this precaution will give you more grief than you believed possible when you come to take it out of storage.

Graham

ArtyH (08-31-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

When I disconnect my battery I use a screwdriver to trip the latch. Then I can lower the lid without any chance of the boot locking.

ArtyH (08-31-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 04:23 AM

Wow guys never occurred to me about that!!!

My XJS never has this problem, just put the key in the boot and she opens.

SO glad you pointed that fact out Graham and thanks for the lock tip RJ237.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:25 AM

As it is a really nice day today I went up to see the car and take some pics and start it up. I put it into reverse and sadly there was a bit of a bump after about a second after selecting the gear, a bit of a delay. Reversed the car out no problems and warmed her up, took the pics and when I want to start her up again went through the J gate quite quickly into drive and not a sign of a problem.
Oh well its not going anywhere soon so plenty of time to save up if it gets any worse, just wish I could have taken it for a spin to test it out for about 30-40 miles or so.
Could it possibly be that the new oil just needs a bit of time to get to all the right places?

Old 09-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Talking

Hello guy's here's a quick update on my current XK8 issues.
1) Went up today to start her and the battery was a bit flat, but started with a jump.
2) Sounded nice so let her warm up, then went through the J gate 3 or 4 times with my foot on the brake, no bumps or clunks. Placed in reverse drove out no problems. Quite surprised and obviously relieved.
3) Locked the boot via screwdriver as per RJ237 instructions and removed battery for recharge at home.
4) Had a rep called Gavin ( The Leather Repair Company ) mix the dye for my seats as I had doubts for the colour match and wanted it right. Gavin proved to be a fantastic ambassador for he company and offered lots of advice for getting " Bettsie " up to par. SO, now its down to me to do the business of the minor repairs to the drivers seat.

All in all a very satisfactory day, and a bit of weight off my mind.
Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer thoughts and advice, it is very well received and appreciated.
Kind regards,
ArtyH