XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Gearbox Fault, DSC System Fault, and Engine System Failure in 2003 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jcboulos
P0171 is the code I meant. The restricted performance went away after I added more coolant and I made it to Charlotte safely. My tank does have a crack in it & I am gonna get a new one within the next few days. Already this morning when I drove my car the engine coolant was low again from that crack. I think it also is causing the car to struggle to turn on as well. I most probably will also replace the valve cover gasket. Leith Jaguar already has mentioned me to get one when I first took it to them. The smoke has all gone away from the unburned fuel. The check engine light is still on even after clearing the codes. The ABS light is on again as well as the DSC System fault. I'll check what codes it has now and post them up. Should I go to Scott Autobody here in Charlotte and get a second opinion about what is causing the gearbox fault?

Definitely get the gearbox fault looked at first. No sense in dumping a ton of money into it if the gearbox fault is gonna be way to expensive to be worth it. Once you get that situated then I would start doing the other stuff. The coolant tank is a simple fix and we can clean all your wheel sensors pretty easily that that isn't a big deal. The valve covers aren't a big deal either. I can do all that in one Sat. The gearbox fault is what has me leary about doing anything else. So get that looked at and what would fix it then go from there.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke with Gus. I'm honestly gonna call Leith Jaguar and see why they couldn't figure out what was causing the gearbox fault. I obviously did a 2nd diagnostic to figure out what was causing the gearbox fault and they weren't able to. Also Gus suggested me to call the previous owner and to check if the TCM,transmission, or ECM has been changed because it could be a possibility why Leith couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I honestly ordered the coolant tank because I don't want to keep refilling the tank up everyday and buy coolant.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I can tell you why the dealer didn't go further...they're taught to only do software and limited physical repairs to the transmission...such as pan and gasket (if leaking), rotary switch - stuff like that. Once the computers and code reveals a probable internal mechanical fault, they do not go any farther due to the vast labor involved and taking liability for any 'related' issues. That's why they've adopted a 'new or refurbished transmission' swap only when they've exhausted all other diagnosable paths.

That's what I was informed of when I took mine to the dealer.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 PM

wow...I'm still gonna attempt it either way and if not, argue for my money back. Since I got no answer, I have the right to (in my opinion at least).

Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 AM

So I called Leith Jaguar again, and the person I spoke with said that they could look further into the gearbox fault but I'd pay somewhere in the $500 range. He said the original one I did was only for one hour and they were not able to do much and that's why they stopped after they were not able to communicate with the TCM. He did personally say they do not rebuild transmissions because their customers in the past still had problems after rebuilding their transmissions. So my question is, should I pay another $500 to figure out what is exactly causing my gearbox fault?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I would not give Leith any more of my money on this particular issue without considering other options first. Call Flying Circus English Cars in Durham and speak with them. I believe you'll find them far more customer-oriented and more fairly priced as well. Be sure to ask what their ZF transmission diagnostic capabilities are before you drive over there, though....

Old 01-07-2013, 03:19 PM

Okay, well we can clearly tell it's an internal mechanical fault. My question is should I bother doing another diagnostic either at Leith (or somewhere else) or just go with getting the transmission replaced? If I get the transmission replaced, I will buy a used one online from A1 parts depot and get it installed at Aamco. That would be around $3000 (possibly more) for the transmission, the filter, the fluid, and getting it installed. I'm just debating which option is better at this point

Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 688 Likes on 558 Posts

Not sure I'd trust my car or my $3k to AAmco. Find a decent independent guy who knows Jags. Probably be cheaper long-term and certainly more reliable. Either way, I'd get it out of the dealership. They prefer replacement over repair every time and sounds like they haven't been successful when they broke that rule and rebuilt one.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM

Yeah, that's what the guy at Leith told me. They haven't been successful at repairs for the transmissions in the past and therefore are going with the whole replacing idea. If I bought a transmission, it's be from this website: 2003 JAGUAR XK8 Transmission I've called them. This one has 53,000 miles and comes with a 5 year warranty. I called to see if the warranty was great, and it was. I'd only get it installed at Aamco because they told me they could do it for $600. I'd also buy the fluid and filter for the transmission online as well. All Aamco would do is install the transmission. Leith Jaguar would charge somewhere up to $1500 for labor to install the transmission. Unless anyone near me would be willing to install it for me for a good price, I'd be down for that too.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 PM

Okay, so I've done my research and it looks like going with ordering my transmission from A1 parts depot and installing it at Aamco. I called several places that do Bosch Car Service because they work with cars that have ZF Transmissions. The best I got from that was Autohaus in Lake Norman repairing it for $3500 with a 2 year warranty. One place from Greensboro called me today and told me $3300 with 6 month warranty. The transmission from A1 parts depot has 5 year warranty, unlimited miles, and everything together costs a little less than $3000 going this route.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 PM

If anyone else knows of a better alternative, I'll be glad to consider it. I can't think of any better one right now

Old 01-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I still have to question whether you have enough diagnostic information assembled at this point to justify replacing your ZF. The last thing you want to do is to blow more than three grand when you do not have enough information to prove that is indeed the fix for your situation....

Old 01-11-2013, 04:08 PM

You can go back to the first page of this thread on the second post and see the information I was able to get. I know at this point it's an internal mechanical fault based off what I've talked to with Leith Jaguar. Every place I called and asked about looking further into this problem told me I would have to repair it at their place as well because no one would just take the transmission apart to figure out what is specifically wrong with the car. After asking that at all these places, I just asked how much it would be to rebuild the transmission and how much warranty would be provided after it being rebuilt. To me, it seems to be $3000 or more either way

Old 01-19-2013, 02:12 PM

So my car is not turning on again. Yesterday I went to vance580's place & got my new coolant tank installed. On my way back home from vance580's place while I was driving it went into restricted performance. I plugged my Elm Scan Tool after I got home and got 3 codes:

P0302: Cylinder 2 misfire detected
P1314: Manufacturer defined
P1316: Manufacturer Defined

Then I turned it off didn't drive for the rest of the night. Today when I turned it on, it wasn't starting up and I plugged my Elm Scan Tool and got this code:

P0193: Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High

Remember that I've already replaced my fuel rail pressure sensor from last time and that is what turned on the car when it wasn't starting up then. What should I do from here?

Old 01-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Get a reading on the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 PM

how do you do that? Can I figure it out with the Elm Scan tool?

Old 01-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 PM

Thanks! I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I got it towed to Aamco (they towed it for me at no extra charge) and they're installing my replacement transmission between tonight & tomorrow

Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 PM

Update: I got my car back today (Wednesday). Aamco did everything with installing the transmission but putting in the fluid (I used ZF6HP26 and bought 10 quarts) and I had to get it towed to Import Performnace. Yesterday, I had taken out the fuel rail pressure sensor that I got a few weeks ago after Aamco was done with what they could do, went to Advanced Auto Parts, & they gave me a new one for free because it has a 1 year warranty. Then I towed it last night to Import Performance and they filled in the transmission fluid. When I picked it up, my check engine light was still on, gearbox fault was still there, and the car later began going into restricted performance. The Check Engine light would tend to go on and off here & there when I'd drive it. Aamco nor Import Performance had anything they could do to update the engine system or reprogram/reset it (or whatever along those lines needs to be done). Import Performance had also described that the transmission was on "limp home mode." I'm taking it tomorrow morning to Leith Jaguar and getting a diagnostic to see what is wrong, & if reprogramming the engine (or whatever should be done) will solve the issue. I'll post my results from the diagnostic tomorrow

Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 PM

Image link: http://tinypic.com/r/23kxnph/6

This was my update from earlier today when I took it to Leith Jaguar. The gearbox fault went away and the check engine light as well as the restricted performance. Also, the DSC System fault and ABS warning lights are gone, but there is always the possibility that it could come back again. Still having trouble with the car starting up in general but starts. It's a lot better than it was but there still seems to be something wrong with gear switching. There is some struggle with it increasing in the RPM and decreasing as well. This explanation is gonna be awful but as I drove on the interstate highway to my friends house tonight and back, there were a couple times when the engine or transmission where I heard and felt a "boom" of something hitting something else really hard, the car stops functioning normal for a second or 2 and then works again. Maybe something is slipping/sliding in the transmission. I don't know how to really explain this unless vance580 here or maybe Reverend Sam drive it and explain it. I honestly think this car is all full of mayhem and some other trouble awaits me if I keep driving it

Attached Images  

Last edited by jcboulos; 01-24-2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Image not uploading

Quick Reply: Gearbox Fault, DSC System Fault, and Engine System Failure in 2003 XK8