XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Gearbox Fault help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 12:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
I think y'all are jumping the gun here,,,
But that's just me.
Try looking at some threads where folks had the same issue.
​​​​​​
The problem coincided rain (you said), and wheel work.

When it rains do you have a known leak spot? Does it get wet under the dash or driver's foot well? At the back of the engine where a/the main harness between the engine, trans and ECU lives.
No leaks that I know of and the compartment housing ECM and TCM is bone dry. I figured for $100 I'll rule this out. When ECM failed I spent tremendous amount of time chasing it. The only other thing that comes to mind is that every now and then I would get stability control and traction control failure but it clears itself. Could it be somehow related?

Old 05-15-2022, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

I hear ya about, well everything. The wondering.

I have never worked on a 97. 2000 and up. On these there is a large connector under the area of the throttle body where the O2 sensor connectors live. The connector brings info from the trans (if I remember right) and delivers it to the TCM (which is all one unit in the 2000+ cars). The connector lives under a couple of coolant hoses that feed the throttle body. And, if there are leaks around the bonnet to cab cowl (a rubber strip runs across the edge where hood and windshield meet) water from outside could also make it down in the area of the connector....?

As others have said,,, shift cable and and jgate, all associated wiring, and the selector switch on the RH of the transmission +++ ALL have to be in sync. Are you absolutely sure your gear selector doesn't indicate current gear,,, or a problem by BLINKING or flashing? Anything like that?

Have ya had the center console out for a look at the jgate. Did ya spill a coffee in the jgate, ever?

Try starting the car and with foot on brake (careful) slowly start moving the select/stick between the gears,,, even the 2, 3 and 4th gear area, and see if you can feel the transmission trying to find a forward gear. Could even be between N and D or D and 4/3... Things like this.

I think the AA AB difference in the module is just a supersede notation that a lot of the parts (especially electrical parts, monitors and modules) went and go thru on the Jaguar. Michael (and other guru's) are experts on researching and identifying this kind O info.

100 bucks!? Yeah, I could find something to do with 100bucks, but if ya got it, it couldn't hurt to mail out the TCM.

Old 05-15-2022, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by reko19
No leaks that I know of and the compartment housing ECM and TCM is bone dry. I figured for $100 I'll rule this out. When ECM failed I spent tremendous amount of time chasing it. The only other thing that comes to mind is that every now and then I would get stability control and traction control failure but it clears itself. Could it be somehow related?
Oh and, sorry. I don't know if they are related BUT with the CAN system in these cars,,, a system I barely understand if at all,,, I am always shocked at WHAT is related at the end O the day, and how. IMHO, it's a bit of a night mare.

It's like the shifter can feel like it's in the right spot, but then there are these little micro switches, then the cable length and detents on the INSIDE of the trans,,, and then, a shaft that goes thru the entire width of the trans, showing up on the other RH side - and if alllllll of these things are not in sync with each other, mechanically there is an issue and electronically there is too, and I THINK that error is transmitted to the TCM/ECU thru the CAN BuS. Throws everything out of wack.

There are some pretty simple procedures for resetting and adjusting the stretched cable problem.

And, apologies. With 4 cars what I've been finding is that I mix up systems and cars from year to year. I believe the wire loom from the trans AT the trans that can get corrupted by a leak around the seal where the loom enters the trans at the plug. Not a terrible job to fix but,,, this might be something the 6hp trans suffers, not the 5hp24...

For the switch pack on the right hand side I think (I've been there) it's easiest (I BELIEVE) if the trans mount is removed, the trans allowed to sag a bit towards the rear, and the switch pack accessed that way. What happens there is the wire loom going into the unit cracks and water is allowed inside to reek havoc.

There are quite a few things that can happen that causes the trans to play up electronically and mechanically - but near all of those issue have been dealt with in this forum.

That cable/loom connector kinda cracks and will cause problems over time. Then, the contacts inside get gummed up or crusty effecting current flow

Old 06-07-2022, 03:22 PM

Reporting back, replaced TCM, followed all recommendations so far, looks like I need some professional help. If anyone knows a good mechanic in NJ specializing in jaguars please PM me directly.

Also, hypothetically speaking, what is the best route to get a rebuilt transmission. eBay?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by reko19; 06-08-2022 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Authorized Imported Car/Don's Jaguar Service

https://www.jagshops.com › New Jersey

Authorized Imported Cars, LLC

4.532 Google reviews
Auto repair shop in Raritan Township, New Jersey
Located in: Hunterdon County Polytech
Address: 22 Junction Rd, Flemington, NJ 08822
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM Mon
Phone: (908) 788-1982

Old 07-31-2022, 05:22 PM

Well, in this case let me post a contact info of the shop who helped to take care of the issue:

Marotas Motors, 973-304-1860, 727 Lafayette Ave, Hawthorne

Owner name is Mario, great guy, no BS, very knowledgeable. Works on Jags only, highly recommend.

Authorized imported cars in the post above held the car for two weeks, couldn't diagnose the issue and told me to take it back. To be fair, they didn't charge me and kept the car for over week while I made arrangements.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 609 Likes on 448 Posts

If you still need a shop this guy is excellent. https://www.aaa1transmissions.com/all-phone1.htm