XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

gearshift interlock solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hi Gus ...

Hi Gus ...an explanation ... The XK8 went to the Jag-guy to have him check the chains,tensioners, water pump & thermostat housing ..all the "known" design faults with the early nikasil V8s. I bought this car as a "write-off wreck" so no history, no books ...nothing. Good news is it has the latest tensioners, new chains and a near new water pump. I also only got one ignition key with the car, so I bought a new transponder blank from Jaguar, had it cut and I needed his computer to then "code" the two keys to the car. He's also found me a remote keyless entry gadget that works. I also need an "air-bag OK" certificate to get the car registered. So nothing to do with our little solenoid ... just stuff I need done that I need the Jag computer for. He'll also "scan" the car which might show up something interesting. Cars running perfect when I delivered it to him. More news when I hear ...

The following users liked this post:
Gus (08-18-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Default Finishing this off

It's now 20 Sept 2011 and I've been driving this car for near 1000Km trouble free with total joy. So I'm closing this thread for any future readers. I removed the solenoid and it's still on my bench. THIS CAR WILL NEVER BE STUCK IN "PARK" AGAIN . It's been set free !! I've had the car "scanned" and no faults show up. No faults on the displays. Starts and runs and all things "work". The only "weird" thing is when we scanned the car and the Body Processor Module didn't get listed. Why ? I don't know ? Do I care ? No. A problem ? Does not seem to be. Simplify !! Drive on.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

You should get 12v to the solenoid when pressing the brake. Use a professional tester with sharp pointed leads that pierce the wire inuslaiton if you can't get something into the connector. More than likely, the not in park microswitch is the problem. There is also a neutral safety switch that needs to be adjusted but this will cause a no start, so this is probably okay.You can temporarily just wire a 12v lead from the cigar lighter to the solenoid, then every time you turn on the ignition, the solenoid will release.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:31 PM

Hi oldmots, please read whole thread. You'll see we've been through all that stuff. Can you tell me why I'm getting the 7.7 volts (which comes from the Body Processor Module) under ALL conditions ? This thread was "born" from another thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ics-faq-37758/ Any help gratefully accepted.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Henery
Hi oldmots, please read whole thread. You'll see we've been through all that stuff. Can you tell me why I'm getting the 7.7 volts (which comes from the Body Processor Module) under ALL conditions ? This thread was "born" from another thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ics-faq-37758/ Any help gratefully accepted.
I'll let you do the categorization of the previous answers, I'll just try to pass along what I know...Not only should you see 12 v at the solenoid upon pressing the brake, it should remain 12v for that drive cycle until the car is put back in park (this keeps the solenoid from moving every time the brake is pressed, which would be annoying, if it does this, the park microswitch is the culprit for sure), then the park microswitch signals the module to cut the solenoid power and lock the shifter. If you are not getting the power, it is either the park microswitch, the body processor or the ECM or a damaged harness. Unfortunately, this is the same old system in the X300 series XJ6 and XJ8.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:49 AM

Here's my logic. (a) The car "beeps" when I try to take it out of park and stops "beeping" when I let the gear-lever return to the Park position. I deduce from that "beep" on/off that the park micro-switch is OK and is "connected". The car starts perfectly in "park"; I take that as futher proof that the park Micro-switch is OK. (b) the car starts fine and engine runs fine in "N". I deduce that the "N" micro-switch is OK. (c) I get no "fault messages" on the screen nor do any fault codes show up on the scanner. The car starts and runs fine. Every function that I know of works fine. Cruise works and cuts out with the brake. Drive away locking works. All lights work. In short EVERYTHING works except the power feed to that solenoid. The solenoid itself bench tests perfect. So my solution is to leave the solenoid on the bench ...and drive on !!! I don't need it in my life !!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Sorry to hear that the car was not totally restored to normal but I do understand. It seems to be a good fix for now with hopes you can find the problem at a later date. At times it is best to walk away then reevaluate with hopes the problem is in plain view.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 AM
Default Define normal ...

Gus, I think this Jag has been "returned" to "normal". I have four other auto Jags. S3 4.2, S3 5.3, 420G, 420. None of them "lock" the gear selector in "park". The oldest is a 1967 420 which is my wife's daily-driver. Works great. I've been driving cars of all types for over 40 years. I've never felt the need to "lock" the gearshift in Park. To me, this is normal.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,262 Likes on 565 Posts

I just realized that my gearshift selector doesn't lock into park. I can shift it into gear without pressing the brake, or even inserting the key. I consider that a good thing. I assume the prior owner removed the solenoid. When I got the car there was an intermittent brake switch problem. It was very infrequent. I'm guessing the prior owner removed the solenoid.

By the way, the car had two prior owners. The first one was a NASCAR driver, the second one was on a NASCAR team, so they probably had the skills to figure out how to remove the solenoid.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Although the interlock for the shifter is not necessary to drive the car it was installed as a safety feature and one that I am pleased to see.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:04 AM

Gus, I reckon it's on of those issues that "cuts both ways". If you're crazy enough to let young kids play unattended in your car, I can see how the gearshift lock would be a benefit. (But I'd also call that bloody stupid & irresponsible !) Sometimes it may be safer ( like to avoid the oncoming train on the level crossing ) to start & move your vehicle quickly ...and if it malfunctions, bye bye baby. I know which one makes me feel the most comfortable....and it ain't "stuck in Park".

Old 09-23-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I'm guessing the prior owner removed the solenoid.
Sounds like it.

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
By the way, the car had two prior owners. The first one was a NASCAR driver, the second one was on a NASCAR team, so they probably had the skills to figure out how to remove the solenoid.
Hey rev ..doesn't take much skill. I did it in my Melbourne driveway. Anyway, unless you feel comfortable "resting in Nanny's arms" feel good that the previous owners of your ride had some feeling of personal responsibility...and got rid of that sucker.