XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General reliability question of XK8 with <100k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I bought my 2000 XK8 from a guy who put in $20k at the dealer in 4 years because he lived in a condo and was not DIY. These will cost you if you cannot DIY.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:38 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Our XK8 is our third Jag. The first, we had for 13 years and was a reasonably reliable daily driver for my wife the entire time. The second, we've now had for 7 years, and it remains a reliable daily driver for my son at 170,000 miles. We've now had the XK for almost 2 years, and it's been a bit of a headache. Admittedly, I was lured by the reliability of the prior 2 Jags, and didn't do enough research, especially on the specific one I bought. Had I done better research, I probably would have ended up getting an XK, just not the one I did.

Part of the reason we all own Jags is the general "mystique" they have with everyone. All of my siblings (I'm 1 of 9), were taken aback and excited when we got the first XJ6, wanting the opportunity to drive it. That mystique hasn't stopped. Last week, wife & I were running errands. A lady in a Lexus suv wanted to trade cars with us, and a man expressed "I like your car". Both comments came on the same day. (My pat reply is "Thank you. It's my wife's car, but she lets me drive it...when it needs gas).

Whatever that mystique is, it apparently generates a sense of envy in people, which never fails to make you feel good. I believe THAT is why the leather smells so good, and the wood dash and trim look so good. It doesn't hurt that the XK8 looks like the natural evolution of the E type.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Fascinating thread to read.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:37 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm seriously thinking of getting a second '98 xk8 conv. That way I'll always??? be able to drive one while working on the other. Kind of like the joke about the Ferrari owner.

My Avalon and my wife's Honda are so boring; homely by comparison to the Jag, but dead nuts reliable.

I still prefer to be driving the Jaguar, no question about it, no matter how many warning lights are on. It's the most beautiful car on the road.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:53 PM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I was seduced by the car when I bought it! Never had a Jaguar before, I preferred old BMW's. I bought my 98 XK8 convertible with full service history - I even have the original window sticker! In the first year, the car cost me about $7.5k due to oil and coolant leaks, and also overheating.

In my second year I had about $1,5k of repairs waiting for me. But, I realized that if I want to keep the car, I will have to fix it myself. I have fixed oil leaks, power steering leaks, and replaced thermostats. (Thanks to everyone on this forum!!!) I have never done this on any car before in my life. My estimated repairs of $1,5k (not even dealer prices!) cost me only $300, including the power steering line I broke myself.

I too, am in the situation of keeping vs. selling, but for completely different reasons. The lesson I have learned is that expensive cars does not translate into cheap maintenance cars. Someone has told me a while back that having that 'old' BMW would have cost me more than the XK8!

And with all this, I still find myself looking on the internet at the old MKII's, or the early XJ's.. Somehow, the XK8 of mine has shown me what Jaguars are all about, and if it was possible, I would have bought a 'newer' Jag. After the XK8, all the other car look a little ... well, boring and bland.

I agree, this car is not for everyone. I really should sell my car, but I just cannot get myself so far to do it. I am trying everything to keep it as long as I can.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Excepting the last post and a few others, I wonder how much of the foregoing was rehearsed speech before discussing the issue with a spouse? Fortunately mine allows me the out of "I want it". -Steven

Old 10-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have no one to talk me out of getting a car or getting pissed off if I do anyways. Even my cats don't care as long as they get fed.

Dave

Old 10-27-2014, 02:16 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Just a note on that point- almost all cars today use platinum or similar plugs primarily for their durability which makes it easier for OEMs to meet mandatory long term pollution guarantees. A secondary benefit is that's cheaper to replace them once per 100K miles than 3 times at 30K miles.

Toyota sells the plugs over their counter for (say) $12. while Jag might sell the same one for $25. I'd go to NAPA or Rock Auto and pay $6-8 instead.

It amazes me that people buy consumables at the dealership for any car- filters, plugs, oil, coolant, even windshield washer fluid.
It's amazing to me as well... never get fleeced by the dealer on simple parts. Even your corner parts stores will save you big bucks vs the dealer

Old 10-27-2014, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by DaveInVA
Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have no one to talk me out of getting a car or getting pissed off if I do anyways. Even my cats don't care as long as they get fed.

Dave
Dude you have cats?! LOL I've heard of the cat lady... but the cat man?

Old 10-27-2014, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I've owned my 2002 XKR for just over 3 years and a little over 33k miles. While I have spent quite a bit of money on mods, I have really only had one failure. This one failure occurred about 6 months ago and was the fuel pumps. That said, that one failure cost $1800 (fortunately my extended warranty covered $1300). But, as has been stated previously in this thread, these aren't Chevys. My former business partner owns a Maserati 3200 Coupe. He's has two problems: the clutch (one of those auto/manual paddle shift things) and the air conditioner. Together these two failures cost him over $14k. So the bottom line, it could be worse. As for me, I love driving my Jag and I hope it outlives me.

Mark

Old 10-27-2014, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by mjlaris
I've owned my 2002 XKR for just over 3 years and a little over 33k miles. While I have spent quite a bit of money on mods, I have really only had one failure. This one failure occurred about 6 months ago and was the fuel pumps. That said, that one failure cost $1800 (fortunately my extended warranty covered $1300).
I also have a bumper to bumper extended warranty with my XKR and hopefully all major issues occur within the expiration of the warranty.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Juke
Dude you have cats?! LOL I've heard of the cat lady... but the cat man?
Yep 2 cats. I think I am known as the eccentric old fart with cats in my neighborhood.

Dave

Old 12-21-2016, 11:48 PM
Received 124 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't think is fair comparing a high performance car with a commute car. I have an electric Nissan Leaf, which I use for commute. I used it for almost 3 years and It went once to the service for a recall, that's it. Not even tires.
But when I bought the jag I wasn't expecting that, just gravity generates problems to the car because of the acceleration, breaking and turning. If you do your math, at any time you can jump out of your Jag and will lose much less than what you lose just for taking a new lexus out of the dealer.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:31 AM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

My main car is a BMW M3, so imagine the comparison I have. But a Jaguar is my childhood dream car. Ever since watching "Harold and Maude".
Even in LA, Ive yet to ride up on another XK8/R. But I nod back at an M3 owner at least once a day.
And yeah, all your observations are correct, you just gotta want to get in there and learn and fix stuff. Its part of why we get these once expensive rides so low priced. But they still are costly, I mean you gotta have SOME expendable cash, if you frontin a once $70k ride. And the price was not cuz the car was so perfect, something the could hold value in it's craftsmanship. Its cuz of such low production numbers, compared to say BMW or Lexus. I personally don't mind it, its fun when you fix and "win". Shii ain't broke till I rip it apart and say it be broke.
And they ain't quick or tight, and you gotta say a lil prayer every-time when inserting that key, but damn they unarguably pretty. And they make people feel good riding in them and seeing the looks at them. That's the main reason we all have them. They are the bathroom selfies of cars.
Also, best thing, and for some the only thing about owning one is being able to say. "Let's take the Jag tonight."

Old 12-22-2016, 06:37 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi,
bought my XK8 by chance at an action 6 years ago. took a punt shall we say. in all honesty its been the most reliable and cheapest car to maintain I have ever had. never failed an mot, apart from a stiff handbrake. never broken down. ive changed the tensioners, £100, changed the plugs £50 a set. sorted a tired starter, easy fix. new alternator from a breakers £50.

If you've buckets of cash and you don't mind pooring it down the drain go to a main dealer. Really in all honesty an XK8 is nowadays simple and actually quite basic in terms of its engine and electronics. Oh and this forum tops it off,

Best wishes
Steveeasy

Old 12-22-2016, 09:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1998 XK8 has 145,000 miles and gets compliments every time we go out. A bit demented though, every time my wife drives her something breaks. My wife calls her Christine now. Bought her in 2008 with 60,000 miles and only major repair was the transmission rebuild. Just pure fun, 120mph and no wind noise. Only problem is which of the 4 grandsons will get here eventually.