XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Getting the amber out - Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Marc, would you be kind enough to share with me your sources for the poly bushings
and the lowering springs for your convertible? When you say you have a "custom x-pipe", was it actually custom made for you, or an exclusive custom part by a supplier?

I just got a 2003, and have looked into nearly exactly the same upgrades you already have on your car. I was pleased to hear, that even lowered, the ride is still comfortable. How do you like the Mina Exhaust? Thanks for your time, Marc.

Ed.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Poly Bushings--MARC B

Originally Posted by MarcB
Poly bushings in the front "A" arms are a must; they remove any vagueness to the feel and last at least twice as long.

Lowering certainly helps the handling as it lowers the center of gravity and reduces body roll. Interestingly the ride quality was still very comfortable until I switched from 19" wheels to 20" wheels; that was the most noticeable change. Still though 8+ hour drives are a pleasure and not harsh at all.
Thankyou so much for your response. I was thinking they would outlast the rubber ones and give better handling response for sure. But "Jaguar World" magazine complained of too harsh a ride. Well Florida has pretty good roads so I wouldn't think it would be much of an issue. (P.S. I have them in 55 Chevy Big Block Hot Rod--They squeek even though lubricated with the special grease.) SO ANOTHER QUESTION..DO THEY SQEEK???....Hopefully not. And where did you get them..Paramount Perf?

Old 11-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by edtexas
Those look great. Really classy. Is it my imagingtion, or are your headlight lenses
smoked?? If they are, could you share with me how this was accomplished, or where
they were purchased. One of the coolest "updated" touches I've seen. Maybe my
eyes are just going bad. Thanks, Ed.
Your imagination (combined with the lighting and angle of the photo I guess) They are factory HID units. The images are clearer in "My Garage" take a look.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
...SO ANOTHER QUESTION..DO THEY SQEEK???....Hopefully not. And where did you get them..Paramount Perf?
They do not squeak in fact they have the metal sleeve just like the rubber OEM bushings. These are so good my trusted local independent mechanic now stocks them as standard replacements and no one has complained about the ride. (I am referring to the control arm bushings, I have not fitted out the rest of the car yet but I think I will as the rubber bushes fail)

They are manufactured by Powerflex; I ordered them from TDI in the UK but you can now get them in the states. http://store.powerflexusa.com/jaguar-c24.aspx

Old 11-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Smile Poly Bushings--MARC B

Mark...Thanks again...you are terrific at answering questions and educating all of us, and it is much appreciated. So which lowering springs did u buy...Maybe you should Create a Thread stating all your modifications and where you bought the parts from.

I have always been into to classic cars, 62 Vette (mostly stock but not numbers matching), 55 Chevy (totally Hot Rodded:510CI Big Block, TH400, wheel disc, 9" rear, AC, PS, PB, PW etc....need to create my Garage pics) however they don't "drive" like my Jag (never owned a modern Corvette or any sports car for that matter.) I chose the Jag for it's style and uniqueness, and the cool factor of having a factory Supercharger, the luxurious interior etc.... I have really become obsessed with this car!

I'm wanting to do the same modifications as you've done (as others have also said). Sure is nice having someone "Lead The Way". Thanks

Old 11-24-2010, 07:56 PM

They are manufactured by Powerflex; I ordered them from TDI in the UK but you can now get them in the states. http://store.powerflexusa.com/jaguar-c24.aspx

P.S. I e-mailed Energy Suspension and chastized them for not making Jaguar Stuff...don't know how you found Powerflex but I'm EXCITED I don't have to pay $300 for poly bushing!!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarcB
I finally made the jump and replaced the lenses on the front marker lights (at the bumper) Taking a kitchen knife to OEM parts is a bit daunting but I think the results are pretty good.

Before

After

With clear repeater

Part 2 - switching out all the current amber colored lamps with chrome lamps (the illuminate amber but appear silver when not lit) I believe I am also going to try to temperature match all the lamps in the headlight assembly and the fog lamps; has anyone truly matched the color of the OEM HID bulbs? I have also been looking for the OEM HID color temperature but have been unable to find it so any help would be appreciated.
They look great. I have just bought the new shaped X Type (with four orange repeaters) and bought four clear ones. Unfortunately they were for an 09 model but of the old type.

Do you know a site or shop which might stock the ones I need?

Many thanks,

Robert