XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Give up

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Will wonders never cease! I found my two bolts! Now, I just have to wait on CPS's and I think I'm going to solve my problem�� Here's to keeping my fingers crossed. I'm going to make a Jag mechanic after all.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Shhhh! don't tell anyone! You might get the blame...

Old 04-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts
Default Pick n pull

I'm at a pick n pull in Fresno have a 2000 XK8 trim Trim NED. I'll be here for an hour does anybody need anything

Old 04-13-2017, 03:50 PM

I found them in my scrap bolt pile. Evidently I saw they were different and replaced them with others from a used cover I bought. (Now I know)

Old 04-14-2017, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

I did the same thing on my first gasket replacement. I saw that there were different bolts and said to myself" what idiot put the wrong bolts in". Turned out I was the idiot or at least uninformed at that time.
This is great. In a short time you came from " give up" to " Jag mechanic". Hope this solves your issues.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:36 AM

Thanks to you and everyone else for all the help and encouragement. I knew I could but was exasperated at the time. I took a GMC 3500 that had not run in over two years to running like a song. Drive it everyday now

Old 04-19-2017, 11:13 AM

Well, it's official. After replacing CPS's I still have 1384 and 1396 errors. Car is running extremely well and no CEL or restricted performance. Think I'll just leave it. I have a chance to buy 04 s-type with 4.2 at a bargain. Is a swap feasible or more trouble than its worth?

Old 04-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

If your thinking about putting a 04 4.2L into your XK8 I think it might be more trouble than its worth, but I think it could be done.

As for your code problem I think you have done everything except the ECM. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't you said you had to put a new plug for the VVT solenoids. Is it possible that the PO could have caused a short or back feed that damaged the ECM. It might be worthwhile to send it in and have it checked. Michaelh will proably chime in and I think he knows a lot more about the electronics than I do.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Bob, you could have hit the nail on the head because when I got car one vvt solenoids plug was broken inside which as you say could have fed back to ECM. I'll check into sending ECM in for repair

Old 04-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Well, that's two more things eliminated.

Dale, hat off to you sir for your tenacity. Take solace from the fact that everything you have checked or replaced, other than the already-updated secondary tensioners, has either been of necessity or good preventative maintenance.

One thing puzzles me: you report no 'check engine' warning. From the OBDII guide:

When CK ENG MIL is activated
(DTC flagged; second trip), ECM:
Sets VVT drive PWM duty cycle to 0
(intake camshaft fully retarded)

I'm not convinced that the ECM is the culprit as we know that it's trying to advance the cams. From your first thread:

" Hooked up test light today. When I turn ignition on or start engine I have a very dim light. When I raise engine rpm over 1000 light burns very bright. Also, when I apply voltage to solenoid I can hear clicking "

and we also know that the cams are responding:

" Also, applying voltage while engine is at idle I can hear difference in engine from each Vvt. Also, days ago I hooked up test light and electronics is turning each Vvt on at higher rpm "

...so we're back full circle, as either the ECM isn't trying (or the cams aren't responding) appropriately, hence the codes. Have to break that loop.

The ECM is common to both banks, but AFAIK it's not a plug 'n play item, and a temporary swop-out may need to be programmed to the car. Anyone?

Do you know any electronics gurus? There's one possibility before you spend any more money, although it may not be conclusive.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

I have a spare ECM I can loan you Dale. The thing it's not plug and play. It would have to be programmed to the car.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

BobRoy, thanks for the confirmation.

A known-good one would be better as TBH I'm not sure how deep the repairers go with their testing if it's not an obvious fault (no disrespect to them - they could well be working without schematics). Getting it re-programmed though...

I've read that some have done a straight swop but that could just muddy the waters even more.

Dale, won't hurt to pull yours out and inspect - the case looks to be screwed together.

Mike

Old 04-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

What I understand, sometimes I don't understand very well, is that the 97 is plug and play. 98 on need to be introduced to the car. I think it has to do to the security system. I also think that once you introduce a new module to the car you can't just plug yours back in. It will have to be introduced to the car since the car now recognizes the new module.

I assume the 99xk8 ECM I have is good. It was working properly when the car rear ended the car in front of it.

Last edited by BobRoy; 04-19-2017 at 07:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
michaelh (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 PM

I'm going to make a few calls to repairers and explain the problem and see what they say. I pulled cover off ECM recently and looked at board real good with magnifier and did a smell test and could not find a problem. Everything seems to be working well with car now but still reporting those codes for some reason. Like I said, no CEL or restricted performance. Took car out today a couple times and runs excellent. I really appreciate all the help and know you guys have put in a lot of effort and given me excellent advice.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:04 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale Dunn
I'm going to make a few calls to repairers and explain the problem and see what they say. I pulled cover off ECM recently and looked at board real good with magnifier and did a smell test and could not find a problem. Everything seems to be working well with car now but still reporting those codes for some reason. Like I said, no CEL or restricted performance. Took car out today a couple times and runs excellent. I really appreciate all the help and know you guys have put in a lot of effort and given me excellent advice.

Drive and enjoy

Old 04-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Everything seems to be working well with car now but still reporting those codes for some reason. Like I said, no CEL or restricted performance. Took car out today a couple times and runs excellent.
Odd. The check engine light is flagged by the ECM for engine OBD codes - which in this case also originate there. Something not quite right. Sorry, I missed that you'd had it apart to inspect.

Certainly get some input from the folks who repair these things for a living. It would be good to get a definitive close-out, although if you're not getting any negative performance effects it's a bit of an academic exercise just at the moment.

Let us know how it goes, but spend some time following Toaster's advice

Mike

Last edited by michaelh; 04-20-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:02 PM

For now I think I'll just drive it for a while and enjoy the breeze. Meanwhile, does anyone know anything about Foreign Auto Computer in Big Sandy TX? They advertise $250 to repair and return.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I have not used Foreign Auto Computer, TX, but swear by ASI - Automotive Scientific in Rogersville, TN for any Jaguar module and throttle body repair. Good luck...

For now I think I'll just drive it for a while and enjoy the breeze. Meanwhile, does anyone know anything about Foreign Auto Computer in Big Sandy TX? They advertise $250 to repair and return.