XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good news among all the trouble issue posts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Good news among all the trouble issue posts.

There are a ton of problem this problem that threads out there. I thought I would rub it in some that for a change (for some time now) I am having NO issues with my 97 XK8. That said it prob wont start tomorrow. HA HA HA

Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

You're just saying that because you're trying to sell it.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Ha ha ha

I think I would have an easier time selling a rock. No one wants Jags. Not around here. Have had a few look at it but no takers. They all want a new car for 5k. IDIOTS!
I had a dude verbal war me over the fact that my fron tseat was not orig. WTF??? Because it was more worn then the pass seat. AHHHH, most leather seat cars, the drivers side is more worn. That and he sparred with mith me that the exhaust was about shot caus it was old. Alum system, quiet as a field mouse. I about told him to pound salt.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Jaguar's Image, Then and Now

Jaguar was always cash strapped as a company and historically cut corners where they could - specially in the XK-E (aka E-Type) cars which were built to a price point. This did a lot to set expectations 40 years ago.

When considering my purchase, I felt that with Ford pumping some money and engineering into the company the XK8 would have modern engineering and Ford derived electronics. Which, for the most part, it does. I bought mine with 45,000 miles at 9 years old. Sort of middle age for a car in my book.

As far as everyday wear items, the car seems pretty normal. In fact, it's pretty easy to work on and nothing is any more expensive than any other car. I get my hoses, belts, brakes, plugs, battery - all the typical stuff - at Rock Auto or the discount store.

Then there's preventative things I've done that are appropriate for a car it's age and engineering era. Like reducing the pressure in the top system, etc.

Then there was the stuff that flat out shouldn't have happened (tensioners).

But what is odd to me is the sheer number of components that fail. In my case it's been a Coil, ABS controller, ABS sensor wire, MAF, Brake Switch, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Potentiometer, Throttle Body and a slew of bulbs). I can explain away each one individually based on the age and mileage of the car and none is partticularly unusual - but why so many on a single car? I mean, one or two of these things might have happened on one of my other similarly aged cars but not ALL of them!

None of these are "Jaguar" parts although they are presumably made to their (poor?) specifications. Many are off the shelf components shared with dozens of makes and models.

I don't get it. Still, I really like the car, get a lot of compliments and have learned a lot. Maybe I'll get it sorted out this time around.

Last edited by Spurlee; 05-15-2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Spurlee
...But what is odd to me is the sheer number of components that fail. In my case it's been a Coil, ABS controller, ABS sensor wire, MAF, Brake Switch, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Potentiometer, Throttle Body and a slew of bulbs). I can explain away each one individually based on the age and mileage of the car and none is partticularly unusual - but why so many on a single car? I mean, one or two of these things might have happened on one of my other similarly aged cars but not ALL of them!
I think it's because there is so much 'stuff' in the car compared to others.

Last week I was replacing my hydraulic latch hoses (which gives you an opportunity to see a lot of other parts of the car!), and was amazed how every spare space in the car is filled with 'stuff' (mainly electronics). Compared to most 'normal' cars, I think there's probably double or treble the components - which means at least double or treble the failure rate.

Working in manufacturing myself, I was struck that the 'metal' components seem to be very well made, but the plastic and other non-metal components seemed very 'delicate'.

-Steve

Old 05-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Well I have a pretty early 97 so as far as the top hoses I may get lucky as I appear to have the eraly type used on it that was better then what was put in them after the first ones made, I guess.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

I was on Yahoo sports today and in the entry page it has an advert for a faster email prgram with them and the pic on the add was from above of two chicks in a XK8 Conv. Cool.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by thefixer
I think it's because there is so much 'stuff' in the car compared to others.

Compared to most 'normal' cars, I think there's probably double or treble the components - which means at least double or treble the failure rate.

Working in manufacturing myself, I was struck that the 'metal' components seem to be very well made, but the plastic and other non-metal components seemed very 'delicate'.

-Steve
I agree about the build quality, it is much more solid and dense than my Corvette (not a fair comparison, really) and my similar era El Dorado. All around it is a high quality car.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Scott
I can' t believe the problems you've had, In three years ownership I've only had to fix the headrest cable and replace the hydraulic lines for the convert. latch. I've never even had a bulb out. I only put about 4000 miles a year on it but it is over ten years old. Even the plastic pieces have held up well, and the previous owner lived in Dallas, and the dealer records show mostly recall and service items and one green shower.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Rolled past 147k yesterday. Going to need tires soon.
..and just because Murphy is listening; I put another quart of oil in it before I left...
Mike

The following users liked this post:
bassmania (05-17-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by RCSign
Scott
I can' t believe the problems you've had, In three years ownership I've only had to fix the headrest cable and replace the hydraulic lines for the convert. latch. I've never even had a bulb out. I only put about 4000 miles a year on it but it is over ten years old. Even the plastic pieces have held up well, and the previous owner lived in Dallas, and the dealer records show mostly recall and service items and one green shower.
I'm glad to hear that, it gives me faith that my car can be more trouble free. And to think, I purposely stayed away from XKRs because I thought the added complexity would give me trouble

Fortunately, I enjoy working on cars so all this isn't a real problem. I need a year of trouble free driving to establish confidence in the machine. Regardless, I'd rather push my Jaguar than ride in most econo-box or jelly bean cars out there.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by OregonJag
Rolled past 147k yesterday. Going to need tires soon.
..and just because Murphy is listening; I put another quart of oil in it before I left...
Mike
Excellent! I know it can be done.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Spurlee
I forgot to mention my XKR has 80,000 miles and Nikasel engine and runs very strong, quiet and tight. Still runs like a new car.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello fellows-
Read your posts above and am somewhat encouraged about the general reliability of my '03 XK8. I've only owned it for just over a month and have been able to take care of some little problems by installing proper rubber and replacing a 5+ year-old battery. Looking to fix the power headrest failure and want to do preventative stuff like the hydraulic top system voltage reduction - please no green showers! Thanks to all for your insight!

Old 05-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

I will say that the car is very solid in the way it rides and the driveline is quiet as a church mouse. I have other cars around same age, same v8 type of set up and can't say they sounded as well at 83k. I guess in the whole picture the car has been good over the almost 14 years on the road. Hell since the last records during warranty coverage the car has been really (so installed some nive color matching covers for both fronts though pass side is fine) age and the windshield just got a small spiral crack, otherwise keeping fingers crossed.