XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Good quality tools

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bahco tools are outstanding! (6 point)

Originally Posted by Norri
Bahco made their name with adjustable spanners (wrenches) and you won't find a better one, I don't have any experience with their other equipment.
Teng make good quality gear without breaking the bank.

Phil, you're right, I doubt if Roadhogg will find a Sears store.
I agree Norri. I have a full range of Bahco "shifters" as we call adjustables here, (up to 18 inch) and they are exceptional.

Having worked with hand tools all my life, working mainly in mining and marine as a fitter and engineer, the feel of a quality tool in my hand is very easy to recognise and appreciate.

Not too long ago I bought a full set of Bahco 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch drive socket sets to update my aging and disparate collection.

The Bahco was a considered decision, knowing that I wouldn't need another set in my life. It is only my opinion, but for car work 1/4 inch does well for all the small interior, under bonnet (hood) type work and 1/2 inch drive does well for all the under body, suspension, brakes and larger under bonnet work. I find 3/8 inch drive to be neither here nor there. So I leave it there; in the shop.

I couldn't believe my luck finding Bahco sets available locally and at a really good price. They are six point with excellent ratchets and accessories.

I believe this brand should be available to the OP in Europe.

Others of note apart from what others have mentioned;

Gedore (German) Beautiful spanners. Don't know about rest of range
S-K (USA) Only owned ratchet, but it is still terrific after very much use.
Proto (USA) Nice spanners, but a little thin in the handle for my comfort.
Sidchrome (Australia) Over rated. Out dated. Over priced. Sold on mind-fixed nationalistic loyalty method.

Tools that "don't break" or are "replaced without question" are not by that alone, "great tools"

Please note: If people want to use 12 point tools, I suggest that you use them only when there is an access or restricted movement problem. Otherwise use 6 point.
Same for adjustable spanners, they are great for portable emergency tool kit. If buying an adjustable, buy a "great" one.

We term tools that don't fit the head properly nutf***ers.

Enjoy your new tools Roadhogg, this tread has plenty of good info to help the decision.

Cheers Jeff

The following users liked this post:
Roadhogg (07-07-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Default Highly polished chrome tools

Forgot to mention one thing that is very important to me when working in an oily environment....read "car" , is that the highly polished chrome tools are a PITA to handle.

The satin textured-like finish of some such as Gedore and the Bahco spanners and socket sets is a selling point for me.

Some one may know of others too?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 6,361 Likes on 5,534 Posts

Originally Posted by OverheadHat
I agree Norri. I have a full range of Bahco "shifters" as we call adjustables here, (up to 18 inch) and they are exceptional.
That's how I know them as well, but there's enough confusion with spanners and wrenches etc.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

To Norri:

I've avoided buying ratchet spanners in the past because i heard they were less robust, though i can imagine they speed up removal of nuts and bolts where access is restricted.
It would be handy to have some at some point though, if i can find ones with strong ratchets.

To pdupler:

Point taken on keeping records of what tools i get. Had i done that originally i'd have a better idea of what was stolen, which ones i lent out and didn't get back, and what i've still got.

Between you all i now have a better idea of which types and makes of tool would be good buys, especially in terms of socket and spanner sets.

For my immediate needs i've just ordered that Snap-On set i linked to (but from a different seller with faster delivery), together with a set of AM Tech universal joints to use with them, mainly because i wanted to get the tools quite quickly to coincide with the expected/hopeful arrival of the fuel line disconnect tools.
I'm trying to get the intake manifold and cam covers off by Monday.

The need to aqcuire tools is by no means over, in fact it's probably just started, and as mentioned i still need torque wrenches, torx sets etc, so any further input on any types of tool i may need for these cars will still be most informative and welcome.

I'm still soaking the information up

Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by batroute
As others have said, most name brands are of reasonable quality and unless you are using these professionally day in and day put, it is unlikely that you will ever wear out a ratchet or break a socket.

+1 on that and an important point to bear in mind when weighing up costs versus the amount of time you will use them. I have Teng in the UK and have always found them to be very good- they'll take some abuse(verbal as well as physical ) I find Halford's tools to be tough but not as comfortable to use - thinner sections etc..
IMO, I try to be smart about picking a tool for its quality. Things like socket sets where you're going to be using them frequently and accuracy counts are worth spending good money on, screwdrivers not so much (My most faithful screwdriver set was bought for £1 at a market and has been with me 24 years) and there's a whole spectrum in-between.

FWIW, I have a Halfords socket set. It appears to be the same components as the Lowes budget-line Taskforce. Then again, I did have the 3/8 ratchet from that set come apart in my hands (the other parts of it seem to be OK though).

One other rule I have is never to dither about buying a tool, even if it seems like I won't use it often. Almost every item I have has paid for itself and for those that haven't they've been subsidised by those that have many times over. (Though there is some specialized diagnostic equipment that is excluded from this).

Last edited by Richy_T; 07-05-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadhogg
To Norri:

I've avoided buying ratchet spanners in the past because i heard they were less robust, though i can imagine they speed up removal of nuts and bolts where access is restricted.
It would be handy to have some at some point though, if i can find ones with strong ratchets.
They are bound to be a little less robust but the ones I have have taken everything I've thrown at them so far. Even if you consider them disposable, the time and effort they have saved me has been worth it. Also consider that you can start with a regular spanner and use the ratchet spanners to do the yawnsome work.

Another great item I have is a 3/8 ratchet which works as normal but can also be ratcheted by twisting the handle like a screwdriver. Handy for those areas where even one click of the ratchet is tricky. The only thing better would be battery powered (that wasn't so huge as to be practically unusable. A simple tool you can use everywhere is better than a tool you can only use half the time).

Does Jag use 12-point hex-type bolts? That's one where it's worth having a set so you won't be tempted to use a Torx.

I'm in the bending-bar torque-wrench camp (though I really should get around to trying a click-type sometime)

I always seem to be looking for my mole grips so I would definitely say they are handy to have in several sizes and styles.

I agree with the statement about the adjustable spanners above. Adjustables best avoided whenever possible on cars, sloppy adjustables triply-so.

If you're going to be removing interior panels, there's a proper tool for the job. It's worth having and using it.

Socket extensions with the wobble end help a lot.

My socket set didn't come with long-reach sockets. Definitely worth having. Also hex sockets.

Breaker bar. I could kick myself for not having one for so long.

I could go on...

Last edited by Richy_T; 07-05-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Richy_T
(My most faithful screwdriver set was bought for £1 at a market and has been with me 24 years) and there's a whole spectrum in-between.
...back in the days when steel was steel, and not this asian crap which has the rigidity and hardness of chewing gum.

I've been very happy with Wiha bits, myself. I'm just looking for a good ratchet set, however, and looks like I should go for Gedore. It is also tempting to buy a larger Kamasa Tools set. Anyone with experience of these?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 6,361 Likes on 5,534 Posts

In my experience the Kamasa socket sets are fine, except for the ratchets, but you can always replace that with a decent one.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As written by Phil
This thread made me think too to pass on a little advice I learned from a friend's misfortune about 10 years ago. Once you start buying lots of individual tools, keep a database inventory. A good friend of mine lost his entire rollaway tool cabinet to thieves in broad daylight. He was mowing his yard in a typical middle-class suburban neighborhood - all homes with front-entry garages. He opened the door of his two-car garage to get the mower out. Once he had finished mowing the front lawn, he went around to mow the back and left his garage door open. In the 30 minutes or so he was mowing in back, thieves backed a truck up to his garage, hoisted his rollaway tool cabinet into the truck and drove off. He heard nothing over the sound of the mower.

He made a claim on his insurance, listing out the tools that were stolen to the best of his recollection. He took his insurance settlement on a buying spree to replace everything. For years afterward, every time he starts a new project, he remembers a tool that he used to have and forgot to file on his insurance. He says its aggravating to have to stop what he's doing to make a trip to Sears to buy a tool he used to have. Based on Paul's experience, I spent time making an inventory of my tools in an MS Access database and have added new tools to it as I buy them.

I've also inventoried household electronics and stuff of value. Insurance will cover pre-set amounts for stuff like clothing, towels, sheets, kitchen utensils, etc. They also will cover tools found in the typical home garage like they did for my friend Paul, but we gearheads tend to have a lot more than any typical tool set.

A quick query shows I have exactly 370 hand tools, 111 wrenches, 178 sockets, you get the picture. Anything that has a serial number, that has been recorded as well. Everyone should make an inventory of their tools for insurance purposes. Heck, it might even help you remember to get a tool back if you loan it to somebody.
I've photographed everything in my box, open all drawers and lay out all tools, I've been doing this for the last thirty years never had a claim but with photo graphic evidence it's pretty hard for the insurance company to deny coverage.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Richy_T
Also consider that you can start with a regular spanner and use the ratchet spanners to do the yawnsome work.

Thanks for reminding me of that Richy_T, it was something i'd heard of in the distant past but long since forgotten.
I might try to acquire some after all.

Originally posted by Richy_T
Another great item I have is a 3/8 ratchet which works as normal but can also be ratcheted by twisting the handle like a screwdriver.
That sounds handy as well.

Do i take it there are 2 types of torque wrench, ie: bending bar and click type?

+1 RCSign - taking photos sounds like a lot less work than writing everything down

Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks for reminding me of that Richy_T, it was something i'd heard of in the distant past but long since forgotten.
I might try to acquire some after all.

That sounds handy as well.

Do i take it there are 2 types of torque wrench, ie: bending bar and click type?

+1 RCSign - taking photos sounds like a lot less work than writing everything down
Yes, there are, and one problem is that some young mechanics are not well enough trained and they will use an impact wrench to tighten something and then put the click wrench on it and when it clicks they think that that's it. In that case what they have usually done is to over torque the bolt.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin D
Yes, there are, and one problem is that some young mechanics are not well enough trained and they will use an impact wrench to tighten something and then put the click wrench on it and when it clicks they think that that's it. In that case what they have usually done is to over torque the bolt.
Best part is when they use unregulated line pressure to do that...

Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

There are three main types available to consumers: beam, click and digital.

Each has strengths and weaknesses to consider.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned

To do that they have to have failed to understand what a torque wrench is for.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by azeteg
...back in the days when steel was steel, and not this asian crap which has the rigidity and hardness of chewing gum.
Steel is still steel. You just have to be willing to pay for the proper manufacturing processes. The public gets what they are willing to pay for. No more, no less. The mass market determines what is on the shelves at retailers. The top notch stuff has to be hunted down at specialty suppliers. Sears Craftsman is an exception. But even they have taken some short cuts in recent years.

Some of the best precision instruments on the market come from Asia.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

To do that they have to have failed to understand what a torque wrench is for.
And that means the educational system has failed ... yet again.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by plums
There are three main types available to consumers: beam, click and digital.
So my hunt for a torque wrench isn't going to be quite as simple as i'd hoped either?

I should have guessed

Old 07-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally posted by plums

So my hunt for a torque wrench isn't going to be quite as simple as i'd hoped either?

I should have guessed
Not really, the problem is not with the wrench, but with the technique.

If you use the wrench to tighten the bolt all of the way and stop at the proper torque setting, all is good, no matter which wrench you use.

What we were talking about is when "mechanics" are in a hurry to do a job, and use an impact wrench to tighten the bolt or nut and go overboard.

I have watched them do this when they were putting the wheels back on my car. I went to the manager and told him about it, and he went back and re torqued the nuts to the proper torque setting.

I was a quality control inspector for eight years in nuclear power plants and the process for properly torquing the bolts on the valves and fittings was very precise and laid out, bolt by bolt in a sequence so as to assure a proper seal. As inspectors, we set the settings on the wrench and monitored the sequence and so forth.

I know of one inspector who set the torque wrenches to the wrong setting and it caused millions of dollars of re work.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,133 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by RCSign

I've photographed everything in my box, open all drawers and lay out all tools, I've been doing this for the last thirty years never had a claim but with photo graphic evidence it's pretty hard for the insurance company to deny coverage.
Yes, I did the same thing when I did my initial inventory. I need to do that again as my tools have more than doubled in the last ten years. Difficulty tho is that all my drawers are so cluttered with tools on top of tools its now hard to show everything in a picture of an open drawer. Kind of need to take stuff out and spread it all out like I did in the initial inventory. Good reminder.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Default Tool quality

Originally Posted by plums
Steel is still steel. You just have to be willing to pay for the proper manufacturing processes. The public gets what they are willing to pay for. No more, no less. The mass market determines what is on the shelves at retailers. The top notch stuff has to be hunted down at specialty suppliers. Sears Craftsman is an exception. But even they have taken some short cuts in recent years.

Some of the best precision instruments on the market come from Asia.
Well explained plums.

Japan has been making beautiful test and measurement euqipment for decades. Mitutoyo and Seiko spring to mind. Their sword steel is quite good apparently.

Take a google look at the Chinese C919 pasanger aircraft, to see how far their manufacturing has come.

Speaking of torque wrenches, what was said earlier about the overzealous use of air impact drivers on wheel nuts, "do it up really tight and it wont come loose" mentality is very wrong.
When I found slithers of steel (lots) on studs and wheel nuts of both our cars it gave me a fright. What is about to strip, the stud or nut?

Degreased, washed and light lube, they look OK, but repeated abuse would destroy them.

Now the instructions are clear at the tyre shop. No rattle gun, finish with torque wrench please.

The one I like to use at home is a Stahlwille clicking one. (Don't have to bend down to read it)

The following users liked this post:
PaulJ (04-14-2013)

Quick Reply: Good quality tools