XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Wood? I do ;)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

So, now that we know what the other kit contains (thanks Itspec60 ) The seven piece kit seems to contain most of what everyone wants, so how many people would be interested in a group buy for this kit? Just based on what has been said so far, I've got the following people who may be interested:
Beav
hlgeorge
SeismicGuy
jnporcello
jagqueen
itspec60

If most everyone is in agreement, I can see what they say as far as how many more people we would need and what they can do for cost. Shall I proceed?

Old 03-25-2011, 04:15 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

You can put me down for one kit, so long a the $$ isn't to high.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Err, just a friendly word of caution to those thinking of buying these parts. I ordered a similar kit for my VW Passat from the US several years ago, but it was so nasty when it arrived, that I never put it on. When I sold the car, I showed the parts to the buyer and he said he wouldn't put them on either.

They feel like rubber and are really quite thick. All buttons and switches suddenly become recessed. They look quite nice, but IMHO they feel quite nasty to the touch.

Just my €2, each to his/her own and all that

Old 03-25-2011, 05:51 AM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I have already purchased the 7 piece kit for $86+shipping from trimshop. Sorry about that. I used their online chat to set up the deal. After I made the purchase they offered me 15% off the next purchase. Maybe you can use my 15% coupon code for the purchase. PM me if you want the code. I'll post my impression of the kit when it arrives. If it's junk I'll send it back. You have until Apr 12 to use the code.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd be in to see what the price is and buy if they give us a deal.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

I'd be interested if the kit is cheap enough. $86 seem like a lot of money for what is essentially a few pieces of pretty tape. I really just want the pieces that go around the radio stack like K.Westra did in the first post.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

Itspec60. No worries, you ended up with as good of a deal on the entire 7 piece set as I initially got on just my three pieces I'm anxious to hear your thoughts when you receive the kit.

Everyone else: I've contacted Emily, so we shall see what she can offer us.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Hey guys, I just got this response (this time from Mike rather than Emily, who I dealt with before):

Originally Posted by TrimSpot
Hey Keith,

We are very appreciative of the business that you and your fellow club members are interested in making a group purchase.

The best we can do if a 5% discount on orders of 5 kits or more, just because this kit is already priced much lower than most of our regular dash kits.

Also, please don't take this as a push to expedite your purchase, but, I know for a fact that B&I is getting ready for an overall price increase very soon, so pricing on this kit (and all others) is going to go up (by how much, they have not informed us yet)

To get the discount, let us know when you are all ready to buy and we'll issue you special discount codes to use in our cart to get the 5% savings

Best regards,

Mike
I can get the code if people are interested, but I recommend using Itspec60's 15% off code for a better deal. The 5% the quoted me seems to be available to anyone who asks for it right now.

EDIT: I just looked and I have a 15% off code as well. That would take care of the first two people, possibly more if the code keeps working. Potentially everyone could get this 15% code as long as everyone is willing to share his code after each order. I'll share my code to whoever wants it, just send me a PM.

EDIT: Nevermind, my code expired on Monday

Last edited by K.Westra; 03-25-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:21 PM

My code is available to whoever PM's me. Maybe that purchaser will get a 15% discount on their next order and can pass it along to the next interested member.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 PM

I received the 7 piece kit today. It feels and looks just like the stock wood pieces. The pieces have a radius on all edges giving it a wood appearance. It has to be 70 degrees to install so I'll warm up the garage and install them tomorrow.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

I used a hair drier to help warm up the dash and my pieces. I'm looking forward to your thoughts once the pieces are installed. Are you installing all 7 pieces?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:56 AM

I did the install yesterday. I took off the door handle pieces right after I put them on. They look tacky and stuck on. I left the shift cover on til this morning and removed it. It just didn't look right to me. The coin slot piece looks OK and the console trim pieces are great. The installation was easy and you could move the pieces around without sticking too bad. I'm happy with it but $45 for the 4 pieces would have made me happier.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

I thought that may be the case with the door pieces and possibly the shifter cover. I was wondering if the fake wood right next to the real wood would make the coin cover look odd. I also wondered if it would look added since it doesn't make much sense (to me anyway) to add a wood insert in that shape. I think if it came from the factory with wood covering there it would be part of the larger wooden piece and the switches would have been bottom mounted (along with the coin holder and tray). Any chance you could snap a picture of the coin tray with the new trim to show us all what it looks like?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by itspec60
I did the install yesterday. I took off the door handle pieces right after I put them on. They look tacky and stuck on. I left the shift cover on til this morning and removed it. It just didn't look right to me. The coin slot piece looks OK and the console trim pieces are great. The installation was easy and you could move the pieces around without sticking too bad. I'm happy with it but $45 for the 4 pieces would have made me happier.

I am thinking the pieces that the OP showed (i.e., just around the radio/heater/ac area) are the ones that would look best--not too much glitz but just right. Do you have any pics of your final install?

I had a 1986 BMW 325 where I added in some of the stick-on wood pieces around the radio/heater control area and these looked pretty good. I also had a 90 Maxima that had a very tall vertical console that looked real blah in the stock black plastic. I found some company that made real wood veneer that needed to be screwed into the plastic. I forget who it was but the end result looked great.

Doug

Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 AM

I would post some pics of the change holder but I took that off this morning. It matched the wood but just didn't look right. So...I'm down to the console pieces which I'll keep on. It would be nice to actually purchase just those three pieces at a reasonable price. To me, they are just the right amount of filler for the console.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Just curious if anyone, besides itspec and myself, bit the bullet and ordered this kit. Anyone? If so, what do you guys think.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default J-gate replacement....

While looking at a 2006 XK8, I noticed that the J-gate around the shifter is made of metal and has 4 screws that appear to hold it down, as opposed the mine (2001 XK8) which has a plastic J-gate, where you have to very carefully push the tabs in to prevent breaking them, when removing it to remove the center console. Question is...are these 2 J-gates interchangeable ? (will the metal ones with the 4 screws fit on a 2001 ? There are 4 screws underneath the plastic J-gate that appear to be in the same location as the 4 screws that hold down the metal J-gate. Does anyone know the answer to this question ?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnetvision
While looking at a 2006 XK8, I noticed that the J-gate around the shifter is made of metal and has 4 screws that appear to hold it down, as opposed the mine (2001 XK8) which has a plastic J-gate, where you have to very carefully push the tabs in to prevent breaking them, when removing it to remove the center console. Question is...are these 2 J-gates interchangeable ? (will the metal ones with the 4 screws fit on a 2001 ? There are 4 screws underneath the plastic J-gate that appear to be in the same location as the 4 screws that hold down the metal J-gate. Does anyone know the answer to this question ?
Not sure if your question was answered but I ordered the chrome j gate surround from Mina gallery, and adamesh also has them. Pricy for what they are but looks amazing. Easy to install and screw holes match perfectly on all XK8's
I also ordered the chrome gage rings as well.
Mina did give me a good discount for ordering the set. Call Chris at Mina Gallery.