XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Green shower question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Green shower question

The hoses are rated for temperature and pressure. Many of us have implemented one of the devices to mitigate the pressure issue. Temperature is still an issue. And I have a black car.

I find myself not lowering the top when it is real hot out. The hose is probably hotter than it is rated for at that time. Don't really want the top down then anyway. I put it down on cool mornings or cool evenings.

Do you all think the period between green showers is increased by following this practice?

Thank you,

Jack

The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (06-13-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't think it makes a difference at all. The reason I think this is that my hose let lose while the car was parked in a shady spot on a cool spring morning. It hadn't been hot for months! I parked it with the top up when I went to work and when I came out for lunch the oil had leaked out all on it's own without operating the top at all.

For the most part when the lines are going to go they will do so no matter what you do.

wcnesta (06-13-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

This link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource Should help you better understand the hydraulic system problem. I also have several other links related to the system.

wcnesta (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I just sold my 01 XK8 about two weeks ago and never had a problem with hydraulic leaking. The car was a New England car so was stored during the winter months. I owned it for two years and always had the top down in the summer months when the weather was nice. The current owner just informed me that he just had the green shower. The car did not have the resistor or pressure regulator installed. There wasn't any history of this problem in the past service history.

The research that was done on this problem indicated that the hoses that fail are the 303 or 363. Is this reliable information on the hose types? Where other hoses types used that have not failed to date? Is there a heavy duty hose kit that is recommended by our Forum available? I am very concerned about this problem on my 03 XKR and do not want to play Russian Roulette with it.

I have read most of the history about this problem and think the hose replacement would be the way to go. Is there a tech bulletin on the step by step replacement of these hoses? I currently have the resistor fix on my Jag.

Bill N
03 XKR vert

Last edited by wcnesta; 06-12-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Bill,

The research on the hoses were done by me with input from others and documented on my page. As for the heavy duty hoses they also were developed under my supervision and are available on my page and to date the only aftermarket replacement. As for the instructions no TSB but I documented my replacement and modified it with findings and procedures by others and that is also on my page.
I had taken great pains to provide real information on my page with no BS. If you care to read it this is the link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource I hope this helps.

wcnesta (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Green Shower

I just talked to my local Jag service adviser regarding this repair. He indicated that they just quoted a customer $1800.00 to do the hose replacement on an XK type. Does this sound about right? They are using newer type hoses for this repair according to him. Apparently there is a lot of labor time involved in this repair.

Bill N
03 XKR

Old 06-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,866 Posts

And what does "newer type hoses" mean at the Jaguar dealership?

I spoke by phone with our local Jaguar service manager a couple of months ago. He confirmed that when his techs do a hydraulic hose replacement job, they use the same inferior hoses that the factory built these cars with. While they may technically be "new", I'll bet good money that they were manufactured years ago, have been sitting on a parts shelf for years, and will eventually fail just as our original factory hoses do....

The only reasonable solution is a better hose. Let's hope the hoses that Gus pioneered will indeed stand the test of time....

Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Check the hose markings if it has Power Packer 363 on it there is nothing new about it. If you want to see what is involved with the replacement of the hose go to my page and see how to replace it….

Originally Posted by wcnesta
I just talked to my local Jag service adviser regarding this repair. He indicated that they just quoted a customer $1800.00 to do the hose replacement on an XK type. Does this sound about right? They are using newer type hoses for this repair according to him. Apparently there is a lot of labor time involved in this repair.

Bill N
03 XKR

Old 06-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The hose we developed for the replacement is rated for 3,000psi and -65°F to 450° continuous service and -100°F to 500°F for intermittent service. I think that fits the criteria! Precautions are not to put hose directly on wiring harness use a little insulation to prevent chaffing when necessary.

Originally Posted by Jon89
And what does "newer type hoses" mean at the Jaguar dealership?

I spoke by phone with our local Jaguar service manager a couple of months ago. He confirmed that when his techs do a hydraulic hose replacement job, they use the same inferior hoses that the factory built these cars with. While they may technically be "new", I'll bet good money that they were manufactured years ago, have been sitting on a parts shelf for years, and will eventually fail just as our original factory hoses do....

The only reasonable solution is a better hose. Let's hope the hoses that Gus pioneered will indeed stand the test of time....