XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

greetings jag folks!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 07:38 PM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by seanz4
Another update: talked to Aristocrat on the phone last night. They said they put four new tires on it and had to replace the convertible top motors at a cost of $2,100. Is that about right? I know Porsche prices inside and out, but nothing about Jags. Also the build date on the door stamp is 9/01. Would that be considered in the clear in regards to the chain tensioner issues? Also someone here mentioned to check your insurance rates. I'm in my mid 40s and haven't had a ticket in 23 years. The jag would be a fourth car and driven less than 4-5k mi. per year. Are the XKRs unusually higher than other highlines? I'm also in the middle of Kansas so the only thing I'm going to hit is a cow!

sean
Yeah, but the instant after you hit that cow, besides being awash in steaks you're going to have a repair bill to choke a horse. And, of course, if you actually did choke a horse too, then not only would you have tons of beef, but tons of horse meat too....your dogs are going to love you!

Repairs on this car (parts/labor) don't go down with age, so once you crash an older one, the insurance company will quickly total it for practically nothing in damage.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

SeanZ4
I just joined (two days ago) the Jaguarforum after purchasing a 2001 XKR from a private party. I live in a suburb of KC and purchased a previous Jaguar with the dealership to which you reference in your post. The dealership will negotiate somewhat, but keep in mind, someone is paying for the real estate it occupies. Recently, a XK8 was on their lot, didn't sell, and was being offered on E-Bay by a used car dealer in the area with a buy it now price of $2000 less than what the dealer was asking. I can only surmise that it was wholesaled for a lot less than the dealer was asking at retail. Agree with SeismicGuy, figure what you're willing to offer, make an offer - worst case is a NO reply.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JAG13CAT, I have family in Leewood and my sister lives down the road from them in Fairway. Was the xk8 you were writing about dark blue? If so, I looked at it. IIRC, it had a scratch on the hood near the windshield. They sent it to their new MB dealership, then from there it went to Countryside Mtrs. I talked to them Friday late afternoon and they said they had two serious appointments for people coming in to look at it. I didn't want to get involved with that contest. I've now emailed the Used car S/M to see if it actually did sell Saturday. So, I'll go from what I hear back for now.

sean

Old 09-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

seanz4
The XK8 or XKR I was refering to was a 2006 black one that was on E-Bay by a used car dealer in Pleasant Hill, MO. (Crest Auto) After seeing it at the dealership, and then removed from their inventory, it appeared on E-Bay through Crest Auto. I don't know if it eventually sold or not. I do know it originally had a NO sale and then was posted again on E-Bay at a lower Buy Now price.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm new to the Jag community by just purchasing a 1999 XK8 with 27,000 miles on it and just had 4 new PZero tires installed. It was my dad's and he is now 90 and can no longer drive. I just fell into this deal. I'm reading all these nightmare posts about all that can go wrong and I'm starting to think about selling it before it hits the fan. It does have a check engine light on but it sat for about a year so I'm guessing it's a mass flow sensor but not sure. I'm looking at the Innova 3130 code scanner but not sure about it. Anyway I lole your site and I look forward to tech help.

-Craig

Old 09-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

welcome craig, if you're prepared for some of the what-ifs, you'll be fine. Most advice is to set aside a $2-2.5k emergency fund. While not certain, but statistically, all of the major failures and service problems do not occur at one time.

While your car has a low mileage number, I would still have someone inspect (or heck, just change) those secondary timing chain tensioners. We've seen them fail in low mileage and high mileage engines. Other than that, I think you're good..as long as you are informed and prepared. Anyone will stress w/o a repair nestegg while owning one of these cars. The ownership pride makes up for some of it, however.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum Craig, massive Kudos to your dad, he bought it new when he was 79.

Please give him, all our best regards.

On a forum such as this you will always see 99.99% of posts relating to a problem.

This does not mean that 99.99% of Jaguars have a problem.

The guys in this section will keep you right.