XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Gremlin central locking

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 03:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gremlin central locking

Hi
New member with question about my XKR 2000 MY Coupe
When I open doors the windows drop slightly but when I shut them the windows don’t go back up so I have to use the switches to raise
Also when I lock the car I can still open both driver and passenger door and alarm goes off
Any thoughts as to where to start diagnosing? Or is it dealer? Thanks

Old 05-25-2022, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,390 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can reset the window memory as follows:

In the car with the door closed and, preferably, the engine running.
  • For each window,press the 'down' button until the window reaches the lower limit of travel. Continue to press until you hear a soft click (about 1-2 seconds), then release.
  • Now press the 'up' button until the window reaches the upper limit of travel. Continue to press until you hear a soft click (about 1-2 seconds), then release.
That's it.

However, the issue you describe is most likely an early indication of a failing battery. You should see a voltage at rest of around 12.5 - 12.6V, but best to have it load-tested.

Dealership generally best avoided unless you have v. deep pockets.

edit: Make sure you have the radio code available before you disconnect the battery. You will also need to perform the above window reset procedure after reconnecting.

Last edited by michaelh; 05-25-2022 at 08:59 PM. Reason: extra info
The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
Johnken (05-25-2022), zray (05-25-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 502 Posts

Steve ..put your location in so we know if we talk to you in $ or £ and C or F......
Its important the windows close fully as thats the reason you get water under the carpets and rot. The other is a leaking back window ( coupe) ..check for water under the back seat.
If you open with the key the alarm will go off in 7 seconds. If you press the open on the remote and then use the key it will not go off ( in theory )

Last edited by Pistnbroke; 05-26-2022 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelh
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can reset the window memory as follows:

In the car with the door closed and, preferably, the engine running.
  • For each window,press the 'down' button until the window reaches the lower limit of travel. Continue to press until you hear a soft click (about 1-2 seconds), then release.
  • Now press the 'up' button until the window reaches the upper limit of travel. Continue to press until you hear a soft click (about 1-2 seconds), then release.
That's it.

However, the issue you describe is most likely an early indication of a failing battery. You should see a voltage at rest of around 12.5 - 12.6V, but best to have it load-tested.

Dealership generally best avoided unless you have v. deep pockets.

edit: Make sure you have the radio code available before you disconnect the battery. You will also need to perform the above window reset procedure after reconnecting.
Thanks, that solved that issue.
Another one I’ve noticed today ( only second day of ownership!) is that if I leave the car unlocked and return a few minutes later and open either door the alarm goes off after about 10 seconds. If I then ‘unlock’ it with key fob it’s ok.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,390 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevesxkr
Another one I’ve noticed today ( only second day of ownership!) is that if I leave the car unlocked and return a few minutes later and open either door the alarm goes off after about 10 seconds. If I then ‘unlock’ it with key fob it’s ok.
Odd. The security system has armed, yet the car is unlocked. Using the 'unlock' on the fob disarms it.

Originally Posted by Stevesxkr
Also when I lock the car I can still open both driver and passenger door and alarm goes off
Again, the security system is armed, but the doors aren't locked. As pistnbroke describes, the alarm goes off after a short period if you don't use the fob to disarm the security. In this state, you should hear a series of soft beeps when you open the door. If you're quick enough getting the key in the ignition and turning it to 'on', that will also cancel the alarm.

Do you hear the latches operate when you try to lock the car?

It sounds as if things have got confused. Try a hard reset first and report back. Member Gus shows how here:
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

You will need to re-do the window & radio code procedures.