Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Tonneau opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 03:30 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hard Tonneau opinions

Greetings,

This is my first post and question at this forum (other than my "intro" post in that section).

I'm about to acquire a 2006 XKR convertible (Victory Edition).

I'd like to obtain a hard tonneau cover for it (painted body color "Frost Blue").

I'm curious of people's opinions of the different kinds. I've found four different sites selling them. I've also seen mention of a "Paramount" brand which is apparently no longer available, generally.

Here are the four sites that I know of that offer them:

Adamesh: http://www.adamesh.co.uk/jaguar-xk8-and-xkr-convertible-tonneau-cover-160-p.asp . This type allows full use of the rear seat. The web site, however, does not show any pictures of the whole car with one on it. I'd like to see a 3/4 side view of the whole car to decide if I like the look. Anybody have such a picture ?

Another site offering them is: http://xks.com/i-7088592-17-0256-tonneau-cover-1997-2005-xk8-special-order.html . This looks a lot like the Adamesh one (but higher cost). Is it the same thing ?

Then there is the Mina Gallery offering: http://www.minagallery.com/jaguar-xk8-xkr-custom-convertible-tonneau-cover/ . This one pretty much eliminates the limited usefulness of the rear seat. This web site does not show a 3/4 side view of the whole car either, so I'm not sure if I would like the look of this one or not.

And then lastly there is this: http://www.classicjaguar5speeds.com/Jaguar/XK8_XKR/exterior/Bodywork.html . It looks like the Mina Gallery one, but at a MUCH higher cost. Is it really the same ? This same site does show a decent 3/4 view of the whole car with one on it: http://www.classicjaguar5speeds.com/Jaguar/XK8_XKR/exterior/Tonneau.htm .

Thanks for any info !

Old 05-14-2016, 03:34 PM

Oops, I just answered one of my own questions. Judging by the license plate on the blue car shown at the last link above, the really expensive tonneau appears to be a Paramount brand. But there is still the question - how does the Paramount compare to the Mina Gallery ?

Old 05-14-2016, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I like the look of all the hard covers, but seeing an XKR by me, they do a number on the body's paint work, where they rub. When the top is up, his car looks like holy Hell, where the tonneau cover rubbed through the clear coat.....Just my opinion.....Mike

Old 05-14-2016, 06:01 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

I know you didn't ask, but I really prefer the classic look of the leather boot cover. The molded ones are too futuristic for my tastes. Besides, I find dealing with the leather cover enough of a PITA without complicating it with a big, heavy piece(s) that has to be stored and handled with care. And I never even considered the potential for damaging the car's finish, as Mike mentioned. The leather cover takes just seconds to put on or take off. And when not in use, it occupies almost no truck space, which is good because I always have a ton of crap back there! I admit the hard covers look cool, just not my style.
-John

Old 05-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Hard Cover

I had two of the hard covers you have a picture of from Mina. First one was covered in material matching the seats, second one was carbon fiber. Problem with it is it doesn't fit in the trunk. So if it rains the back seat comes into use. They had a smaller one that fit, this was the third one I bought and it is he one I kept because it fits in the trunk. You can kind of see it in this picture. (I found a couple older pictures that may show it better). It is covered to match the seats. The issue with paint is you'll likely scratch them when you put them in the trunk, material holds up better.

Attached Thumbnails Hard Tonneau opinions-jaguar.jpg   Hard Tonneau opinions-wp_20140419_12_04_03_pro.jpg   Hard Tonneau opinions-wp_20140419_12_03_56_pro.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
MaxTorq (03-07-2022)
Old 05-15-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by enderle
I had two of the hard covers you have a picture of from Mina. First one was covered in material matching the seats, second one was carbon fiber. Problem with it is it doesn't fit in the trunk. So if it rains the back seat comes into use. They had a smaller one that fit, this was the third one I bought and it is he one I kept because it fits in the trunk. You can kind of see it in this picture. (I found a couple older pictures that may show it better). It is covered to match the seats. The issue with paint is you'll likely scratch them when you put them in the trunk, material holds up better.
Thanks for the pictures.
Since the Adamesh type doesn't cover any of the back seat area, it is a little smaller in overall size. I'm wondering how well that kind fits in the trunk (if at all) ?

Last edited by dcarr; 05-15-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mrplow58
I like the look of all the hard covers, but seeing an XKR by me, they do a number on the body's paint work, where they rub. When the top is up, his car looks like holy Hell, where the tonneau cover rubbed through the clear coat.....Just my opinion.....Mike

Yes, that is definitely a consideration.
My plan was to affix some of that clear chip-guard (bra) material to the small area where the hard tonneau contacts the body. Then it could be easily replaced or removed as needed, with no detriment to the body paint.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:57 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Probably

Originally Posted by dcarr
Thanks for the pictures.
Since the Adamesh type doesn't cover any of the back seat area, it is a little smaller in overall size. I'm wondering how well that kind fits in the trunk (if at all) ?
The Adamesh is similar but I hated the huge lumps on the side of theirs. Here is another shot of the small Mina.

Attached Thumbnails Hard Tonneau opinions-top-cover.jpg