XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Harman Kardon goes plop plop

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harman Kardon goes plop plop

Hi all
My XK8 - from US - had a phone connected to the radio when I got home to Denmark.
Radio was not original.
Phone is gone and an original ( I think) radio is installed.
But it does not sound ok. Base goes "plop plop" instead of "bum bum".
Have tryed with different radios, changed the amp and the rear speakers.
How do I get a good sound in my car?

Regards
Soren Post
Denmark
XK8 1997

Old 08-23-2020, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Soren,
sounds like you have distorted bass. Is the problem the same when you fade all the way front? All the way rear,?

I suspect not, but we need to verify it to trouble shoot.

Is the problem present low volume, medium volume, & high volume?

May we assume it is same for radio, CD player?

This could be several different things, I've heard the exact same thing when speakers are not properly secured (tight screws), but let's see what you say before we offer ideas.

John

Old 08-23-2020, 09:55 AM
Default Harman Kardon goes plop plop

Hi John

Let me start by saying it's difficult to give straight answers to your good questions.
But I will try as I need some help here.

Yes - the plops comes by radio, cd and other sources.
But its the level of bass that gives the problem. Some kind (modern ones) of music gives more plops than other.
Then I have to reduce the bass. To minus 2,3 or less.
It's like the amp cannot controle the speaker. Even at medium levet it can go plop.
I can see that the speaker cone flops when it plops. (I'm not trying to be funny here - but it must sound funny)

At low level there's nothing. At least nothing I can hear.

It seems to me that the plop mostly comes from the rear speakers.
They were totally destroyd when I got the car. Nothing let of the soft rubber around the cone.

Its quiet annoying. Having a car with a high end music device - going plop plop. I hope the description of the sound is understandable.
Where it should produce a firm bass it goes plop.

I have checked everything. Connections, collour codes on wires, tighten screws and tryed with different radios, amp ect.

Regards

Soren

Old 08-23-2020, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

The foam edges that attach the woofer cone to the speaker frame have completely disintegrated (which gradually happens as the years and decades pass). They must be properly replaced in order for the speaker to play properly. Foam edge replacement kits are inexpensive and available for purchase online. Anyone with a few common tools and a reasonable amount of patience can do the job. It is a matter of carefully removing all traces of the old foam edge bits and then carefully gluing the new foam edges into proper position. When I needed to replace the foam edges in my Altec Voice of the Theatre home audio speakers back in 2011, I ordered the appropriate kit from www.simplyspeakers.com. It came with the correct new foam edges, the appropriate glue, and an excellent instruction guide. After completing the repair job in a couple of hours, my Altecs sounded brand-new again. Depending upon location and environment, these foam edges can last anywhere from 10 to 20 years before they must be replaced again....

The following 4 users liked this post by Jon89:
cjd777 (08-23-2020), DavidYau (08-23-2020), Johnken (08-23-2020), Pristine97XK8Convertible (11-06-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 03:14 PM

New high end speakers as well as original has been / is fitted. It still goes plop plop….

Old 08-23-2020, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Please double check the screws/bolts securing the speakers going plop. Even a slightly loose one will allow the speaker to move in opposition to the driver. I've been in that spot too once.

Warning, you probably know this but even experienced installers f up once in a while: the speakerspeaker's magnet is doing all it can to attract your screwdriver, right through your new speaker cone. (Dont ask me how many I've ruined this way ) I always cup my hand around the screwdriver at the screw so if it slips I block it.

I just read your note again. you already tightened them? Is there any way the enclosure can move ?

Sorry to be picky, you don't seem to have completely eliminated the problem from the front speakers? Radio faded fully to front, any plop?

Is this happening with volume set to below #20? Bass at zero or 1? Car is running? It shouldn't.

You said it, just making sure: straight factory radio, no EQ through bluetooth or anything right?

I'm trying to eliminate the easier obvious stuff.

for the heck of it tell us make model of new drivers.
John

Old 08-23-2020, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Oops just Noticed you have an aftermarket radio. My volume setting references are not valid. You changed amp too, is it the stock Jaguar amp? If not, I wonder if it's only 1 amp driving all the speakers without an active crossover like the stock amp. Well you'll let us know when you get a minute.

John

Old 08-24-2020, 07:17 AM
Smile Plop plop...

Hej John

So glad you want to help. Just keep asking for anything
It came with and aftermarket radio. Allmost all wires going in the amp was cut and redirected for a phone purpose.
I have carefully removed it all.
And placed with an original radio - see picture. All wires are reconnected with great care to collor codes.

Amp is changed to another Jaguar amp with correct number.
You might have a point with this cross over - how do I know it's right or wrong?

Regards
Soren

Old 08-24-2020, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Good news bad news. The amp has a non adjustable predetermined crossover inside. The fact you're using a stock head unit & amp allows us to better picture what you are facing. You have the radio they used before they changed to the one in my 1998, so the volume numbers I stated don't apply.

I asked about tightness and vibration because your description fits that perfectly. I think you said you double checked?

I ask about the woofer make model, impedance should not be an issue but if all is tight and amp gets good clean power I'm trying to figure how it could be distorted as though the amp can't supply the power required.

Let me think more on this. Tell us about the speakers.

John

Old 08-24-2020, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

Oh yeah please confirm no such distortion in front channel! Just fade to front only, play away and see.

That would tell us its speaker focused.

John

Old 08-24-2020, 11:58 AM
Default Plop plop...

Hi John
Just tested front speaker kontra rear speaker.
It only plops at the rear.
This fits perfectly to the picture of broken rear speakers. Front speakers are posible same age as rear - but not broken.
Fantastic!
Picture of reconnected wires...
I have chcked them a 1000 times...

Old 08-24-2020, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Soren,
not much info on Kontra brand speakers out there.

Front and rear use same amp. This clears the amp in my mind.

Everything is pointing to the speakers.
I forget, what kind of enclosure are the Kontra in? (Sealed, ported, open baffle?)

I ask wondering if the speaker's compliance is just so mismatched to the enclosure that its causing this. Brainstorming here mate. If sealed or maybe even ported, you could try stuffing the enclosure with baffling material. In a nutshell this effectively increases the internal volume of the enclosure. Like I said, brainstorming- I don't exactly love the idea (at all). Way too much of a bandaid. You'll never get proper bass if the drivers are mismatched to the enclosure.

Soren, any chance you have any speakers on an enclosure laying around the house you could hook up and see how they sound?

Maybe it's time to take a drive to a local car stereo store for opinion/ advice?

I wish there was an obvious simple answer. Please do keep us posted on your thoughts, plans, next steps and of course: the solution!

John

Old 08-25-2020, 02:46 AM

Hi John
Kontra is not a product name - I ment "front speaker versus rear speakers". Sorry about the misunderstanding.
I also think the amp is in the clear. Changing it to another made no difference.
Rear speakers are sealed. No ports - no open baffle.
I have tryed to fill the enclosure with old rags - didn't help...
When I saw the old distroyed speakers I bought bran new at the local car intert

ainment shop - see picture "Speaker 1" - still plops..

Recently I bought the original - see picture "speaker 2" (sorry about the blurry picture) - still plops…

Next step is a trip to the car radio shop - I'm sure there is a 18 year old person with pimples that knows everything….

I will keep you posted..

Soren
XK8 1997, XJS 1986, XJ 1984

Old 08-25-2020, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Soren, those look like nice speakers.

Just looked up the Hertz ProMP 165.3 speaker. Good reviews, no mention of this. It's a 4 ohm load, amp should have no issue with that.

Looks like this came as a 3 way package (+mid, + tweeter, and crossover). Did you use the Hertz crossover for the woofer we are discussing? Guess I'm thinking it can't help, could it possibly be problematic? Ah, admittedly grasping at straws with that comment but it does involve electricity and this is a Jaguar right ;-)?

I was about to ask another crazy one about speaker phase. If by chance you accidentally wired the 2 woofers in question out of phase with each other, it would greatly diminish the bass. But how could that apply here? It would require you to have turned the bass and or volume up to compensate for that causing distortion. Soren you already said you don't so this doesn't really count.

hey, yesterday I suggested bringing an indoor speaker out and hooking it up in place of the Hertz. Same idea different angle: got an old receiver laying around? Bring it out and hook it to the Hertz speaker bypassing the car's electronics.

But yes please do keep us posted. I hope it's an easy obvious fix.

John