41.18%
needs more discussion
2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Has the XK8/R been ignored

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:56 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

I feel correct and comfortable telling people that my XK8 is the "spiritual successor to the XKE" and no one ever disagrees.

The car receives compliments wherever I take it. Most people believe it is a much newer car because, I think, in today's world it is a different design in a sea of physically identical cars. The car will age gracefully because it is, fundamentally, a classic design even in it's simplicity or perhaps because of it.

Lots of good comments in this thread...

Old 05-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
The problem/fear I have is that the electronic complexity of these cars will not survive the desirability of the design. The XKE was introduced 54 years ago and is sorta restorable given adequate funds. How many security control modules, door modules, body modules, seat modules, instrument panel modules, air bag modules, transmission modules, and last, but not least the engine control modules do you think will be available or rebuildable when the '97 model year reaches 54 years. To assume a '97 will be restorable in the year 2051 is a big assumption both on the availability of electronics and the capability of owners of that time to drive, or even be allowed to drive without computer assistance.

Fortunately, I do not have to worry about that time.
With time, having the design docs, ability to recreate circuit boards, and program components; they could be run long term. Extensive information would have to be released by the manufacturer though in order to not have to reverse engineer parts or re-engineer certain systems out of the car entirely.

I wouldn't be shocked if down the road, people would eliminate non-critical systems and re-engineer them. It might mean the running and driving cars are less and less stock, but they aren't yard art.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Spurlee
I feel correct and comfortable telling people that my XK8 is the "spiritual successor to the XKE" and no one ever disagrees.

The car receives compliments wherever I take it. Most people believe it is a much newer car because, I think, in today's world it is a different design in a sea of physically identical cars. The car will age gracefully because it is, fundamentally, a classic design even in it's simplicity or perhaps because of it.

Lots of good comments in this thread...
I have people most of the time that see it react as if I just spent 35k on it, give you that "HOW CAN YOU AFFORD THAT" look.